THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Non Ethanol Gas

Apologies if this has been posted before.

I found a site for searching gas stations. It's user-supplied info so any leads need to be checked out. But in my case, it worked great! I found a station close by that sells the stuff. In the sage words of mgarblik "Anything with a carburetor should run this stuff"

$4.99 a gallon at this station. Not terrible...way better than the prepackaged stuff at the hardware store.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF1493DA-E351-4CA7-927C-81F9E514E7BF.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	608312  

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2023, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Eric: Ya I have seen this one and had actually posted on gasoline with no Ethanol here in our area. Alberta, Canada. We still have Esso, Shell and Petro Canada with 91 octane with no ethanol. There is a cheap way to check for Ethanol in gasoline. You take a small water bottle and put about 1" to 1-1/2" water in it. Draw a line at that water lever. You then fill the bottle couple inches from the top with the fuel your testing. Need room to expand and shake. Shake the mixture up slowly as the bottle will pressure up some. Let it settle after shaking for approx 5 minutes. If the fuel contains ethanol it will mix with the water and can be seen very clearly as the water level on the bottle will now be higher. Our 91 fuels here have no Ethanol. Our 94 from Chevron is ethanol free. Most all other 94 octane fuels here have ethanol.
When we dynoed our engines here they made the most power on 94 fuel that contain ethanol. We run ethanol gas in the summer months but never let it sit in the carburetor for long periods of time.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Apologies if this has been posted before.

I found a site for searching gas stations. It's user-supplied info so any leads need to be checked out. But in my case, it worked great! I found a station close by that sells the stuff. In the sage words of mgarblik "Anything with a carburetor should run this stuff"

$4.99 a gallon at this station. Not terrible...way better than the prepackaged stuff at the hardware store.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Eric
Race Trac stations in this part of the world has REC 90 gasoline for about $.70 more than unleaded regular.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-04-2023, 12:18 PM

Here in Manitoba, Canada, our unleaded premium 91 used to be ethanol-free. In January of last year, the Manitoba government passed a law requring all fuel sold to contain 10 percent ethanol. For my smaller engines, it is easy to use a pre-packaged non-ethanol fuel, but it costs the equivalent of 40 dollars USD per gallon. These small engines don't consume much, however, so it is almost tolerable.

The GTO's on the other hand...

Old 03-04-2023, 01:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
Hi Eric: Ya I have seen this one and had actually posted on gasoline with no Ethanol here in our area. Alberta, Canada. We still have Esso, Shell and Petro Canada with 91 octane with no ethanol. There is a cheap way to check for Ethanol in gasoline. You take a small water bottle and put about 1" to 1-1/2" water in it. Draw a line at that water lever. You then fill the bottle couple inches from the top with the fuel your testing. Need room to expand and shake. Shake the mixture up slowly as the bottle will pressure up some. Let it settle after shaking for approx 5 minutes. If the fuel contains ethanol it will mix with the water and can be seen very clearly as the water level on the bottle will now be higher. Our 91 fuels here have no Ethanol. Our 94 from Chevron is ethanol free. Most all other 94 octane fuels here have ethanol.
When we dynoed our engines here they made the most power on 94 fuel that contain ethanol. We run ethanol gas in the summer months but never let it sit in the carburetor for long periods of time.
Are you sure this is still true about premium being ethanol free.
I noticed the signs on the pumps have changed in the past few months here in Edmonton on those brands of gas(Shell and Esso). They used to say may contain ethanol on the lower grades, but not premium, now the pumps all say may contain ethanol.

Old 03-04-2023, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure as I run the Esso 91 in my car and small engines. Will have to do a test again. I'll let you know. I don't like the Shell premium gas. I test all 3 last summer. Thanks for the heads up.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Old 03-04-2023, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I check Esso and Petro Canada today. 91 octane. No Ethanol.. dam sideway pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3708.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	608322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3710.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	608323  

The Following User Says Thank You to chuckies76ta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2023, 04:58 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
I check Esso and Petro Canada today. 91 octane. No Ethanol.. dam sideway pic.
You didn’t waste any time checking that out.
After visiting their websites earlier today, I sent request to both Shell and Esso asking if their premium fuel had ethanol in it. If I get an answer back I’ll post it.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya easy to do. Thanks. The Esso is the best in my opinion

Old 03-04-2023, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have no ethanol 91 R+M/2 here in OK. I havent found 93 in several years.

Typically, the no ethanol 91 "Super" is a MIXED at the pump with 87 octane E10 garbage to make 89 octane " mid grade". No Thanks!

Old 03-04-2023, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a HEADS UP for those filling up in central part of the country. As many know, CASEY's General Stores/AKA CASEY's is big chain up & down the center of the country.

Have made it into Casey's quite a few times over the last 25 years, ESP in Iowa, iL, MN, & N Misery. One thing I've noted is Casey's likes to play this GAME with E15. You'll pull in off the Interstate & see a very competive price, grab the nozzle, thinking you're filling up with E10. OHHHH NO000, the pump is not marked well... I fell for that once in N Iowa. My older SUV did not run that well after that, & less than 100 miles down the road, I pulled off & topped off with no ethanol Premium at a price of over a dollar more a gallon than the station's E10.

About a year ago Casey's came into the central OK market & spent 38 M buying up the leases of a bunch of under performing ex Phillips branded stations. Most likely a few other prev branded stations as well. Quickly, Casey's bought several expensive corners around the metro & built several very small but spartan C stores with their pizza cooking operations. Caseys seems to pride theirselves in their cheap pizzas. At these brand new stations, they introduced the same GAME with E15. Installing an 88 octane fuel dispenser line, right next to the 87 octane marked E10 marked hose. Needless to state, the 88 octane disoenser is E15, but was not labeled! By being sneaky & offering the 88 octane fuel as their "leader price" fuel out on the big sign @ the street corner they sucker motorist in. Folks lined up to buy their crap E15 at 12-15 cents less a gal than their own 87 octane E10 & often nearby big competitors, like 7/11 that only sell E10... What a great corporate citizen Casey's is

Not having the pumps marked correctly is against OK's state law. So at least This one Casey's location gets called in on to State Corporation Commission. Inspector goes out, & tells them the 88 octane has to be marked as what it is... About a week later, some Caseys flunkie makes it to the station I'm well acquainted with & labels the pump, not on the big dispenser button that states 88 octane, but several feet higher where no one looks. Technically, these pumps are now in compliance, though hardly anyone sees the "may contain up to 15% ethanol" label way up high. Unfortunately the joke is on the folks trying to save a few bucks. Many folks driving older beaters.

In nearly every vehicle, it is a fact, they will not get the same mileage on E15 as on E10. I cked the owners manual on my wife's 2022 RA4 Hybrid & it states not to use higher ethanol content than E10. Personally, my family & many of my friends will not fuel up at a Casey's.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 03-04-2023 at 09:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 'ol Pinion head For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2023, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heres another great Corporate Citizen... LOVES Travel Stops. Loves began in Watonga OK, not far from my Granddad's farms & ranch. They have become HUGE, with truck stops & big stations all over the country (hate that term).

If you drive a diesel pickup, something to be forewarned of. LOVES sells a BIO DIESEL mix. Many of LOVE's stations have a separate BIO tank, where the BIO mixture awaits to be mixed with straight diesel from the transport rigs. This BIO DIESEL mixture is partially thanks to a contract with at least one of Americas largest pork & chicken producers. ALSO, thanks to the SWAMP in DC with LOVES now having received Billions in Fed subsidies for their BIO crap. The bottom line: the effluent produced & mixed into their road diesel seems to take out the fuel filters quicker on diesel engines. I've had a chance to look at the log books that several friends keep with fueling histories of their diesel powered equipment. Amazing, how these construction company owners totally quit fueling up with the BIO DiESEL, & went to straight diesel, and how their fuel filter life also was also extended. Something to think about when making those long trips on the highways & needing Diesel. This easily can be followed in newer diesel pickups where fuel filter life is noted in the array of feeds you can punch up on the dash monitor.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 03-04-2023 at 10:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 'ol Pinion head For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2023, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just did a little searching for the pre-packaged stuff.
Lowes and Tractor Supply both carry it and it's $28 a gallon. Ouch!

Eric

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 03-05-2023, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The local Quick Trip near me has 90 octane Non- Ethanol for $3.91 per gallon

https://locations.quiktrip.com/

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve C. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2023, 11:39 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Heres another great Corporate Citizen... LOVES Travel Stops. Loves began in Watonga OK, not far from my Granddad's farms & ranch. They have become HUGE, with truck stops & big stations all over the country (hate that term).

If you drive a diesel pickup, something to be forewarned of. LOVES sells a BIO DIESEL mix. Many of LOVE's stations have a separate BIO tank, where the BIO mixture awaits to be mixed with straight diesel from the transport rigs. This BIO DIESEL mixture is partially thanks to a contract with at least one of Americas largest pork & chicken producers. ALSO, thanks to the SWAMP in DC with LOVES now having received Billions in Fed subsidies for their BIO crap. The bottom line: the effluent produced & mixed into their road diesel seems to take out the fuel filters quicker on diesel engines. I've had a chance to look at the log books that several friends keep with fueling histories of their diesel powered equipment. Amazing, how these construction company owners totally quit fueling up with the BIO DiESEL, & went to straight diesel, and how their fuel filter life also was also extended. Something to think about when making those long trips on the highways & needing Diesel. This easily can be followed in newer diesel pickups where fuel filter life is noted in the array of feeds you can punch up on the dash monitor.
Unlike ethanol, bio diesel has other benefits to your motor parts.
When they started pulling sulphur out of diesel there became a need to substitute a lubricant back in to protect parts like the high pressure fuel pump. Since the fuel companies don’t put anything or enough lubricant back in to replace what the sulphur was doing, consumer needs to. I used a product called Lubricity but Howes is also good. I’d rather replace the filter more often than one of those pumps at $2000+ And bio diesel has lots of natural lubricant.

Old 03-05-2023, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
I just did a little searching for the pre-packaged stuff.
Lowes and Tractor Supply both carry it and it's $28 a gallon. Ouch!

Eric
Rural King is $19.99, still way too much though.

They're building a new Sheetz store right off of State route 41 and I 70 across from the Springfield Loves Truck stop. The Pure gas listing says many of the Sheetz stores sell 90 octane gas, right now there are no listings close to me that sell it so I'll be checking it out this summer to see if they have a dedicated pump for E-0% fuel. I've been buying 40 to 1, 2 cycle mix at Rural King for my trimmer, and chain saw because they're so much easier to start, and run better with it than E 10 mixes, plus no storage problems over the winter.

On a side note, I just bought 2 of the 5.5 gallon race style fuel jugs at Rural King this week for $21.99, much nicer to use than the crap no spill govt required nozzles that are right around $25:

Link: https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/88647

They come in yellow, white, and red, just used them yesterday to haul 10 gallons of diesel to the house, and put it in one of my trucks, easy peasy, compared to the crappy no spill, that I inevitably spill, when I'm using them.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2023, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
Unlike ethanol, bio diesel has other benefits to your motor parts.
When they started pulling sulphur out of diesel there became a need to substitute a lubricant back in to protect parts like the high pressure fuel pump. Since the fuel companies don’t put anything or enough lubricant back in to replace what the sulphur was doing, consumer needs to. I used a product called Lubricity but Howes is also good. I’d rather replace the filter more often than one of those pumps at $2000+ And bio diesel has lots of natural lubricant.
Mixing 2 cycle oil in with the low sulfur diesel will protect the pumps on the older full mechanical engines. My 93 K3500 has a mechanical pump, and I used the Walmart 2 stroke, after I ruined the pump with the low sulfur fuel. Same as when they removed the lead from gasoline, and we started having lubricity problems, the low sulfur tends to be a drier fuel than the older diesel blends.

The bio diesel also jells at a higher temperature in the winter compared to straight diesel.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 03-05-2023, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Mixing 2 cycle oil in with the low sulfur diesel will protect the pumps on the older full mechanical engines. My 93 K3500 has a mechanical pump, and I used the Walmart 2 stroke, after I ruined the pump with the low sulfur fuel. .
Stop teasing us and confess....how much 2-cyle oil per gallon of diesel?

You mention using it on older diesels. Any problems with newer ones?

Eric

Old 03-05-2023, 12:30 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
The local Quick Trip near me has 90 octane Non- Ethanol for $3.91 per gallon

https://locations.quiktrip.com/

I live in the country now and there is a Marathon gas station, (26 pumps) that sells NON Ethanol Gas for $3.23 per gallon. 87 octane but they also have the 90 octane stuff for $3.60 per gallon. They are about 6 miles from my house, on the road I travel every trip I make to the city.

I personally would never mix toluene with gas or mix other gas (like aircraft fuel) when the No Ethanol pump is so easy to use.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2023, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One ounce to a gallon, is what I used. comes out to 128 to 1 ratio.

As far as newer diesels, there is a post on a forum about additives that add lubricity to ULSD diesel here:

https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/.../#post-3870887

I have never owned a newer diesel, so I can't comment as far as practical knowledge.

1984 Grand Prix