THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-30-2024, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsmasher View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but the first question that comes to my mind is how do you start an engine with that much timing? My cars have difficulty starting with ~15 degrees initial timing (they'll crank real slow). How does it work with 40-50 degrees?

Importsmasher
You would have to separate the ignition from the starter. Start cranking with ignition off. Then turn on ignition. Some people do this with locked distributors and/or high compression. At least they did many years ago. Now there are better starters, 16 volt systems, auto-retard, etc.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After all the time that large automakers have spent on designing engines, this one individual has all the secrets. He also probably has the secret carburetor that enabled large V8s to get 100 MPG but it was bought from the inventor by Big Oil and secretly stashed away.

George

Old 05-01-2024, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsmasher View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but the first question that comes to my mind is how do you start an engine with that much timing? My cars have difficulty starting with ~15 degrees initial timing (they'll crank real slow). How does it work with 40-50 degrees?
With his particular set up he has a distributor that is locked out, (no centrifugal advance), but does have vacuum advance. So, he has 18 initial, manifold vacuum advance adds the other 25-30 degrees at idle and part throttle cruise. Full throttle timing reverts back to 18, which he claims is where his boosted 8.0 compression motor runs best. I guess that it's easy to crank @18 with the low compression.

I suppose there's nothing really wrong with this approach, on this particular engine, but the way he comes across as some self-proclaimed super tuner, savior of the world is very off putting to say the least. He even made a recent post comparing himself to Nunzi Romano and Nikola Tesla. I'll try to find it and post it here, it's hilarious

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Singleton For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Megalomaniac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8937.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	632972   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8939.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	632973  

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
The Following User Says Thank You to Singleton For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He is THE ONE!

George

Old 05-01-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
After all the time that large automakers have spent on designing engines, this one individual has all the secrets. He also probably has the secret carburetor that enabled large V8s to get 100 MPG but it was bought from the inventor by Big Oil and secretly stashed away.

George
I got a kick out of this tune on a 1999 Vette. 40 MPG hiway about 4 years back

Lean burn map tune, eco Vette Wide band O2 as well low load cruise runs at 17:1
314.6 miles travelled used 7.813 gallons 40 MPG NOX level higher probably

140K miles and all emissions devices still on the car. Car makes more HP and torque when opened up than it did with stock factory tune.

https://youtu.be/vNIZ25eBMco?t=945

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post

Last edited by 455dan; 05-01-2024 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Isn't "12.5/1" richer?! What?!

Old 05-01-2024, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
With his particular set up he has a distributor that is locked out, (no centrifugal advance), but does have vacuum advance. So, he has 18 initial, manifold vacuum advance adds the other 25-30 degrees at idle and part throttle cruise. Full throttle timing reverts back to 18, which he claims is where his boosted 8.0 compression motor runs best. I guess that it's easy to crank @18 with the low compression.

I suppose there's nothing really wrong with this approach, on this particular engine, but the way he comes across as some self-proclaimed super tuner, savior of the world is very off putting to say the least. He even made a recent post comparing himself to Nunzi Romano and Nikola Tesla. I'll try to find it and post it here, it's hilarious

This particular engine, in his "stage 3 super pace car" does have something wrong with that type of tune... it detonates at part throttle & 6psi of boost so bad that it requires 3-4 bottles of octane boost or race gas.... it wasnt built to do that, its what is needed to stop the detonation and get anywhere near the factory 9psi boost.

Bet that car doesnt run any better than a mild properly set up turbo 301 & definitely nowhere near as good as some of the higher power 301t's being done today... yet after all the bragging he wont even take it to the track or actually have the engine dyno'd! LOL!

Old 05-01-2024, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
This particular engine, in his "stage 3 super pace car" does have something wrong with that type of tune... it detonates at part throttle & 6psi of boost so bad that it requires 3-4 bottles of octane boost or race gas.... it wasnt built to do that, its what is needed to stop the detonation and get anywhere near the factory 9psi boost.

Bet that car doesnt run any better than a mild properly set up turbo 301 & definitely nowhere near as good as some of the higher power 301t's being done today... yet after all the bragging he wont even take it to the track or actually have the engine dyno'd! LOL!
The only issue I see is unsuspecting hobbyists trying to replicate his "Max Efficiency" super tune...they then blow their head gaskets from the 58 deg of initial timing. It's actually already happened....SMFH

Old 05-01-2024, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Legend in his own mind"

I got into it a while back with that guy on the bookfaces and the admins took his side. Which tells me all I need to know!

Old 05-01-2024, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
"Legend in his own mind"

I got into it a while back with that guy on the bookfaces and the admins took his side. Which tells me all I need to know!
The admins and moderators on the groups he's in are actually his minions....

Old 05-01-2024, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's why I stopped sharing technical information online. Getting browbeat by some flunky's toadies isn't exactly a good time. I'll let them be wrong.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got this from a FB group, looks like he has a book out now about his "ooper dooper pooper scooper stage 9 TA! LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BW.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	633056  

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post: