Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-27-2023, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Maybe.....however my Ford Ranger has 320k miles on it and I've never had an analyses done. Same goes for my 270k mile Camry, and all my other cars. But maybe it would be a good idea.

Now my thirty three year old tractor is starting to use oil and the engine is a bit noisier than it should be. I'm pretty sure the engine could use a freshen up but I suppose it's a good candidate for an oil analysis.... So they could confirm my thoughts.
Sounds like you already have a good routine on those high mileage units so I wouldn't bother to change what you're doing.

Only reason I've done oil analysis was to find a good oil to use and to find how long I could extend the change intervals. Basically trying to stretch my dollar, that's all. Once that was determined I've never done an oil analysis on anything for any other reason. But it probably would be a good idea if there was some kind of issue cropping up to help determine a direction?

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 06-27-2023, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Sounds like you already have a good routine on those high mileage units so I wouldn't bother to change what you're doing.

Only reason I've done oil analysis was to find a good oil to use and to find how long I could extend the change intervals. Basically trying to stretch my dollar, that's all. Once that was determined I've never done an oil analysis on anything for any other reason. But it probably would be a good idea if there was some kind of issue cropping up to help determine a direction?
I was thinking about this and thought it'd be an awful good idea for the places that maintain exotic cars to offer as part of their maintenance program. I recall a friend was talked into paying extra and buying a GM remanufactured replacement transmission for his late model Impala. The selling point was the warranty would be honored at an GM dealership and the guy traveled a lot. Well the trans failed. GM wouldn't honor the warranty and the snake that sold him the trans paid for an oil analysis.... Just to legally protect himself. My buddy that builds transmissions (but wouldn't build the 200R4 I asked you about) repaired the Impala transmission. It turns out a part failed that there was a service bulletin with a fix issued.... Evidentally the GM remanufacture missed that part.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
I was questioning why one would find it important to sample oil from an engine with idle time only on it.... My simple question seemed to spark a lot of input, but none answering my question.

I recall some guy asking Smokey Yunick if it would be a good idea to leak down test a newly assembled engine..... I guess someone, somewhere seemed to think that was a good idea.

With the OP's issue keeping and eye on the thrust clearance would be simpler, more economical and more beneficial than sending in oil samples.... But I understand we are on the Internent where text book trumps reality.
You said new engine. Not engine with idle time only on. it. Guess it's ok to add more to your statement. Someone who knows everything certainly doesn't need to get an oil sample test. I was merely trying to answer what oil testing is/does. I would think that a guy that's trashed three engines in a row would want as much information as possible. I guess, if someone successfully survives falling out of an airplane without a parachute, that means parachutes are a joke also? Just because you have succeeded without oil sampling doesn't mean it's a joke.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:03 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Aren’t you talking about R&D Ford dose on experimental engine designs. Before its put into production. Or once it was put into production and was known to have failures. Or just planned obsolescence.
Yes, R&D on engines designed to be INSTALLED in vehicles and driven for hundreds of thousands of miles. A guy I know from Kansas has over 300,000
on his 7.3L truck. Daily driver, no issues. The hours we ran on the test engines would be similar to that and the loads he normally pulls.

Course you get a issue that surfaces occasionally in a rare environment like
the water injection in one runner in a vehicle driving along the coast in a high humidity area for several hours of the trip.

A 1.0L engine designed for Europe and later sold in the USA may have issues down the road. Sales wins over Engineering with obvious results.

Tom V.

The idea is to prove very long durability (until failure) and the oil sampling is one bit of information.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 06-27-2023 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
You said new engine. Not engine with idle time only on. it. Guess it's ok to add more to your statement. Someone who knows everything certainly doesn't need to get an oil sample test. I was merely trying to answer what oil testing is/does. I would think that a guy that's trashed three engines in a row would want as much information as possible. I guess, if someone successfully survives falling out of an airplane without a parachute, that means parachutes are a joke also? Just because you have succeeded without oil sampling doesn't mean it's a joke.

Never implied its a joke. Steve25 urged the OP to immediately get an oil analysis done. I was curious as to why..... BTW my question has yet to be answered.

I do appreciate your efforts to share information. That's what these Websites are for. We are all trying to learn.

Not sure what the difference is between a "new" engine or an engine with just idle time is... Unless you're referring to my Smokey comment which was referring to a new assembled engine that had never been fired.

Old 06-27-2023, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
I'm not sure how in my case the oil sample does much. I routinely change oil and cut filter open that is how I have caught the other failures. It's either good or not good.

Old 06-27-2023, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
I'm not sure how in my case the oil sample does much. I routinely change oil and cut filter open that is how I have caught the other failures. It's either good or not good.
Maybe so. I guess it depends on how fast the failure happens etc. I agree it's an extreme measure. Just disagree that it's not a valid idea. The dead horse is dead. I digress... Best of luck to you! I went through a multiple year beating with my 455. That's why I switched plans. That and the local Pontiac engine building expert retired.

Old 06-28-2023, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope everything goes good for you Slowbird.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 06-28-2023, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All I am saying is since like he stated in post 14 that the motor has some run time, then why not spend the 35 bucks to get a oil sample tested if for no other reason then pure peace of mind.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-28-2023, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, what does it cost to have a oil sample analyzed anyway ?
I know at work the guys in the Truck Shop get their oil analyzed for the heavy equipment all the time.
I have been thinking about getting some of out tap water analyzed also, I would like to know what is in it.