THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
I've seen most of the normal stuff, but the real kicker happened to a guy who called me looking for a SD455 engine a few years ago. He took his engine to a machine shop for rebuilding. The machine shop recommended a more expensive cleaning that what he provided in shop, so the block and heads were sent out. When they came back, a generic 455 and heads were sent in it's place.

Mike
I would be in jail after that one.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

A pissed off fat house chimp on dope would be a lot more deadly.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My heads were done at Butler, where I bought them. They came out great. The rest of my machine work (THERE WAS PLENTY) was done by Rich Haubold at PCHS on Long Island...excellent work!!! Rich hoffman, the engine builder, sends all his machine work there...no problems!!!! Eric

Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to 6x400gmc

I sent my 400 to a shop here in Houston for a simple Clean, Mag, and Bore. I had pulled all the plugs and requested that they be left that way. Two weeks later I go to pick up the block and it looks great, externally. When my dad got his hands on it and started checking it out, he said he pulled no less than half a cup of dirt and debris from the oil channels. He's a stickler for block cleanliness!

Check your junk before you run it!

Britt

Old 01-18-2012, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Switch & bait stories like those are why I would always stamp the 5 digit code from the customer's signed work order on all blocks and heads in front of them. With their permission of course. Not that something like that couldn't be changed. Just gave the customer a degree of confidence.

Then there was the other side. Had one guy who brought in Ford 429 4-bolt Cobra Jet blocks often. He stamped his name & SS# on each one.

And some customers were just plain shady. Had one guy that used to try and pull fast ones all the time. Like having just one SBC head re-worked. Then bringing the other head in a couple weeks later trying to say we messed up the work on the last one.

1969 GTO hard top ~ Std bore 400, '70-RA3 block, 670 heads, Bal. & Blue... M22, 12-bolt w/3:55s