THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-04-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
1760 ?
Did George Washington sleep there ?
Maybe, and thats why he decided to move 6 hours south after spending one winter in it.....

Peter

The Following User Says Thank You to besserspat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Don't go to Florida right now unless you can Stay There.
Who would want to stay in Florida? Too hot, too humid for humans.

Old 02-04-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Lived 6 years in FL and I love summers in florida, extreme sun, give me 100 degrees , sticky and my surfboad im a happy camper...

I also appreciate minimalistic clothing on women.

Peter

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to besserspat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

75 and sunny in San Diego. My wife and I went swimming in the outside pool this AM.

Old 02-04-2023, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yesterday it was -25 below today its 30 above nothing like a 55 degree change to keep you healthy.

The Following User Says Thank You to hobbygto65 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 08:06 PM

Smile

My apologies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A12BD410-7F96-486D-A420-43056EA218DD.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	606668  

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Around +10C or 50*F out here on the west coast of Canada. A little wet but I will take that over -32C

Brrrrrrrrrr. Getting close to going out for a ride in the car, not quite but close.

Old 02-05-2023, 03:55 AM
Senior Chief

Nice and hot downunder , min temp 26 to 34C, just humid if I were to complain

Sent from my SM-A426B using Tapatalk

Old 02-05-2023, 08:08 AM
Boost Engineer

Florida is alright in the summer months.

You walk out of your air conditioned house, get into your air conditioned vehicle, travel to the air conditioned restaurant, eat breakfast, get in your A/C vehicle again, go the the Barnes & Nobel bookstore or the library, read the paper in the air conditioned reading room, go back to your condo and take a shower/bath, put on summer work clothes, drive in the a/c vehicle to your Test Track Building, wait for the sun to go down, and start Aero Testing on the vehicle when the air/wind is calm, the temp is 70 degrees, and the track temp is constant.

8-10 hours later you repeat the process again. Only change is at 2 pm the state warms up and you get a light rain shower at the track for an hour as the state temp stabilizes. And this is in the dry season in the winter time.

Summer time it is hot, humid, rainy, etc and you live in the a/c "car/store/house/restaurant climate". Oh what fun.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 12:41 PM

Tom, I hear you, when I lived in Florida , i was renting a little condo on the east coast right on the beach , I remember my landlord giving me the evil eye because I lived with the patio door wide open year round and never turned A/C on. I didnt have a dog back then.

I'm a beach bum , always been, so Im able to spend 14 hours a day in the pounding Florida sun, I dont burn, I just drink water and stay in shape.

Of all the cars I own, I keep A/C functionnal in about 3 vehicles only, the ones that Franky my great dane can fit in...lol

Like most dogs, Franky isn't a fan of 100 degree heat. So I have to be mindful of my passenger's comfort...

Otherwise I just ride motorcycles or topless and door less Wranglers...told ya Im a beach bum!

Peter

Old 02-05-2023, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I lived in Minot North Dakota it'd hit -30 all the time.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 02-05-2023, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

heres a tid bit and it Got colder.. like -47 and -108 wind chills. No, I dont live on the Mountain. It was only -19 here and -45 wind chills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb 3, 2023.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	606723  

Old 02-06-2023, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
Yesterday it was -25 below today its 30 above nothing like a 55 degree change to keep you healthy.
Ain't that the truth. Swings like that are hard on everything ... I hear the trees popping out in the woods like gunshots.

I gotta check the foundation tomorrow .. there was a couple of "pops" in the house that I could feel like a car bumped into the house. Usually they are up high, the roof trusses expanding and contracting ... this time I felt a couple in the floor.

Old 02-06-2023, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
heres a tid bit and it Got colder.. like -47 and -108 wind chills. No, I dont live on the Mountain. It was only -19 here and -45 wind chills.
I saw that posted and found it hard to believe it was even news. But I guess for an area that rarely sees cold temps it would be.

I grew up in northern MN and have been outside in -135 degree windchills (not for a prolonged period unless very active) and the last time I checked, there ain't any mountains in MN.

I raced cross country skiing in school. That meant I was either training or racing 6 days per week - regardless of the air temp or wind chill. Sunday was my day off from skiing, but I frequently went downhill skiing on those days. I did draw the line on downhill skiing below -25 air temp back in the day.

It's a known fact that cold air is heavier than warm air, so when record lows hit in MN, it's the lower elevations that get it.

My last residence in northern MN was on the Iron Range and there are lots of low areas. January of 83 was a brutal month with air temps dipping into the -50's and -60's. There was a 10 day stretch when the HIGH temp for the day never got above -20. We had multiple days during that stretch when the wind chill was lower than -100.

I now live in the deep south (only about 30 minutes north of Iowa) and it just doesn't get cold here. I rarely wear a true "winter" jacket and most of the time don't even zip the lightweight jacket I do wear. I do zip my jacket when I go downhill skiing though and I no longer go when the air temp dips below zero.

I guess at my advanced age (soon to be 69), I'm a little softer than I was when I raced 50 years ago.

I've had the pleasure (or misfortune) to live in many places in this country. TX, VA, MA, CA, MO, WI and MN. Traveled to most of the 50 states.

There are some good things about every area in this country. But not enough good things to get me to live in many of them.

High heat and or high humidity is a deal breaker for me. If it's cold outside, I can always put on warmer clothes and deal with it.

There just isn't any real good way to deal with excessive heat once you get down to a pair of shorts and a Tshirt. Taking any more off gets you arrested, and it really doesn't help anyway.

Old 02-06-2023, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Nah, just wimps from MN…Odd thing: Canadian “snow birds” flock to FL EVERY September through April. We’re talking S. FL, with AVERAGE humidity of 70-80%(depending on how close you live to the water.) Most of FL is just subtropical; S. FL is classified as tropical. ODD that Central and northern South America, sub Saharan Africa, most of the Indian subcontinent, ALL of Southeast Asia, a large portion of the Southern and Central Pacific are all classified as tropical with heat and humidity that make FL look like Chicago in the winter, yet humans have thrived in these regions far LONGER than they have in the northern climates…

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Bruce, that’s one thing I do NOT miss about New England; the godawful winters! Lobster rolls a different story.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-06-2023, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here in the Ohio Valley( where summer humidity and temperatures can rival the Deep South, yet humans have lived and thrived here for THOUSANDS of years), it’s going to be a pretty nice day. Highs in the mid 50s, lows in the lows 40s. Rain pretty much the rest of the week with highs in the mid to upper 50s until Friday, then back to the February reality.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-06-2023, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by besserspat View Post
Lived 6 years in FL and I love summers in florida, extreme sun, give me 100 degrees , sticky and my surfboad im a happy camper...

I also appreciate minimalistic clothing on women.

Peter
Peter, you just have to adjust when you go shopping or venture outside. Spent five years in S. FL( Martin Co.). Loved the winters, tolerated the summers. Concur with the minimalist clothing on the comely females, but the 70+ year old Canadian grandmas need to leave the string bikinis to their granddaughters! OH, MY GOD!! MY EYES!!! You can’t unsee that…The only reason we left was my wife’s new job was in TN and she really suffered in the summer ( sarcoidosis). Had we been 150 further north we probably would have stayed.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yesterday 2/05/2023, high was Sunny, 68 around 3:30 pm, very minimal wind. Perfect weather if you are addicted to chasing the little white ball, or are predisposed to slaving in the yard. I worked out in shop with all the big doors up, same as am doing today. Not much different than I do in the Summer when it's 90-95 & the humidity is above the COOK level for those of low tolerance/ geriatric weenies.

Winter weather season is always interesting here. Week ago, Monday, winter storm/ sleet came in late, nearby Interstate & county roads were ok for Tues travel, but the winding hilly two lane roads in town & out in the Xurbs were treacherous. Was much further S. By Weds, no big deal here at home.

Looks like rain tomorrow & Weds. Possibly, tomorrow,, will be making a trip N to the near frozen tundra, then back home.

Old 02-06-2023, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
My apologies.
That’s it, Bart, rub it in Won’t be too much longer before the 70s return here…hopefully.

Dr. Thomas Sowell