Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Windsheild install 1964 GP Question ??

Question....after roping in the shield and gasket....what type of stuff was used to back fill around the gasket....seems like a type of non hardening (plumber putty) type of stuff was in there ,originally. Any help would be great ...thanks.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have thought that that original stuff looked a lot like bees wax. But I would have smeared some (probably would have used a toilet setting ring to get the wax) on the pinch weld before putting the glass in. On resetting my rear glass I tried what the unsuccessful pros had tried before I did it myself. Some sealer stuff out of a tube that was a real mess to use. You might be able to push some of it in with the glass in place but it will be a mess.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Going to back fill it with 3M strip caulking ...black

Old 05-16-2019, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's called nesting compound and kind of hard to find now days. Some newer glass shops don't even know what it is.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nesting is for door glass, you need the black butyl sealer that comes in a tube and uses a calking gun.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:42 PM

If you use the black urethane sealer don't use too much.An old school glass guy I knew just added a small amount in the 90 degree area of the rubber where it meets the channel.Hard to describe but it's where the bees wax would normally go.You can try with black strip caulk but it doen't have the ability to flow into small voids that you are trying to seal.Also be extra careful as when you pull the rope it doesn't pick up some urethane and spread it around and make a mess. Good question tho.....It's where the old meets the new!

Old 05-18-2019, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
Nesting is for door glass, you need the black butyl sealer that comes in a tube and uses a calking gun.
Does that byutal stay soft after years of being in the channel....like the original stuff ?

Old 05-19-2019, 10:26 AM

No,it is a strong adhesive.You don't want to go back in there again.NOT how the factory did it but a somewhat acceptable practice by experienced glass guys.Lots of variables today-is the replacement glass dimensionally correct,how about the aftermarket rubber gasket that holds everything in place,then the mouldings have to go on also and you want it perfect and no leaks?Good Luck!

Old 05-19-2019, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by strato gto View Post
No,it is a strong adhesive.You don't want to go back in there again.NOT how the factory did it but a somewhat acceptable practice by experienced glass guys.Lots of variables today-is the replacement glass dimensionally correct,how about the aftermarket rubber gasket that holds everything in place,then the mouldings have to go on also and you want it perfect and no leaks?Good Luck!
Thanks for the info.....probably going to go with the strip caulking then....cuz heaven forbid I had to put another shield in it,the moldings would be ruined,trying to get them off. No driving in the rain and a car cover at all times.