Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:10 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
You know I did see that one with the green tint band. I’m not sure about that look. But that does make the replacement marginally more palatable.
Most of them had that from the factory. Most of them are pretty faded after all these years, and a scant few of the lower optioned Custom and base Galaxie models might have had a windshield with no tint, but the majority had it. It would look correct and stock.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ill keep that in mind. Unless it’s hella faded I don’t think mine has it.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 09-20-2018, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Use this forum for all your car detailing needs. There is none better and there are loads of threads on glass water spots and how to remove them.

www.autogeek.net

Old 09-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW The glass company called back, its 515 installed. So the glass itself is likely about the same price as the ones we viewed linked. A tick cheaper than expected for an installed price.

I do think I'm going to do my damndest to restore it. But if it doesn't work or if I hurt the glass worse I have a backup plan.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My chevelle had stains like that since I bought it in 87. Back glass was covered with it and the windshield was covered where the wipers don't sweep (fine in the wiper path) Some sort of acid rain I suspect.

I tried everything, soda pop, vinegar, and all the other tricks out there and I never found anything that would touch it. I gave up on it and lived with it for decades until a couple years ago. I bought Eastwoods glass polishing kit and gave it a shot. Took that stuff right off with a little elbow grease. It's an orange powdery stuff they sell, mix with water, comes with a pad to use in a high speed drill. Does the trick. Also removes small scratches in the glass. Made my glass smooth and slick. I like it so much I started using it on other cars, not to remove acid rain, but just to polish up the glass. Makes a big difference.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
My chevelle had stains like that since I bought it in 87. Back glass was covered with it and the windshield was covered where the wipers don't sweep (fine in the wiper path) Some sort of acid rain I suspect.

I tried everything, soda pop, vinegar, and all the other tricks out there and I never found anything that would touch it. I gave up on it and lived with it for decades until a couple years ago. I bought Eastwoods glass polishing kit and gave it a shot. Took that stuff right off with a little elbow grease. It's an orange powdery stuff they sell, mix with water, comes with a pad to use in a high speed drill. Does the trick. Also removes small scratches in the glass. Made my glass smooth and slick. I like it so much I started using it on other cars, not to remove acid rain, but just to polish up the glass. Makes a big difference.
I was watching some videos on youtube of full on repair where they are starting with harsh sandpaper. like start with 120 grit, then 600 grit, and then using a polishing compound with a microfiber pad like the eastwood kit your talking about. I'm considering trying it. I have the old back glass out of my firebird I would try it on first to make sure I wouldn't insta destroy it.

YouTube sure makes it look easy lol.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I was watching some videos on youtube of full on repair where they are starting with harsh sandpaper. like start with 120 grit, then 600 grit, and then using a polishing compound with a microfiber pad like the eastwood kit your talking about. I'm considering trying it. I have the old back glass out of my firebird I would try it on first to make sure I wouldn't insta destroy it.

YouTube sure makes it look easy lol.
It's certainly not easy if you're going to that extreme. We were restoring a 67 fast back mustang, and at the time they didn't reproduce the back glass. It had severe deep scratches in it. The owner wanted to try that process of sanding it, slowly working to a finer grit and finish with that polish.

It was an Eastwood kit, came with sand discs for a power sander. It was pretty aggressive. It took him several days to finally work that glass to be acceptable enough to install in the car. It was a lot of work.

Me personally, if it were bad enough to start touching it with sand paper, I wouldn't put in the effort. The Eastwood polish compound is tough enough to remove the fine grit scratches but it sure is a ton of effort. However, using the polish on it's own to restore pitted glass, or mild scratches, and to remove stubborn stains, it works extremely well. Works great on windshields also that appear to be somewhat sandblasted (it's a problem here in AZ with all the dust blowing around) After a couple hours of work that polish will smooth the pitting in most cases I've used it on. The wipers work better, water beads up, nice and slick.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
1964 Galaxie, probably just because its big and wrap around. I called a local glass company to get a quote but I'm guessing installed its going to be like $600. So you can see why I want to try and restore it.

Rock auto has the windshield by itself before shipping listed as $465.
Auto City Classic lists a windshield for a 1964 Galaxie for $349, but of course that doesn't include shipping or installation. https://www.autocityclassic.com/1964...ustom-62b-62e/ I got the windshield for my '61 Bonneville from them and have been happy with it.

However, I'd still try some of the other solutions suggested on the original (CLR, Bon Amie) before replacing it. They won't get rid of pits, but should be able to address water stains.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah given that price I think 515 installed is very reasonable. I’m going to go grab an air drill after work and get back after it. I might try to buy a slightly more aggressive pad. There no pitting. One pretty good scratch on the passenger side from the wiper that I don’t overly care about.

This is 100% a safety thing. Im just trying to make the thing not a death trap when you drive into the setting sun. Concourse restoration this is not.

Hard to take a picture of but maybe that will give some idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8670760E-D8E1-4976-AD77-F507119CAB24.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	493207  

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 09-20-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That shield shouldn’t be more than 250.00...then gutter rot / rust.....then glass install labor...Windsheild clips too....

Old 09-20-2018, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yeah given that price I think 515 installed is very reasonable. I’m going to go grab an air drill after work and get back after it. I might try to buy a slightly more aggressive pad. There no pitting. One pretty good scratch on the passenger side from the wiper that I don’t overly care about.

This is 100% a safety thing. Im just trying to make the thing not a death trap when you drive into the setting sun. Concourse restoration this is not.

Hard to take a picture of but maybe that will give some idea.
Here's what I use. https://www.eastwood.com/pro-glass-polishing-kit.html It's $50, a little cheaper than the one that comes with various grit sand paper, but you don't really need that.
I work with it at a low speed. They recommend 1500 rpm, just a heads up in case your air drill is high speed. I just work slow with it doing small areas at a time, and keep spritzing it with a water bottle to keep it lubricated and not build up too much heat, and it keeps the compound from drying out on you while you work, so it goes further. After you do a small area you'll get the hang of it.
I also take the time to mask off the car around the windshield because the stuff does splatter a bit and can make a mess to clean up afterwards. Much easier to take a few minutes to mask.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went after it with a pair of pliers and a blow torch when I got home today.

Then I took a drive into the setting sun. It’s certianly not good. But I do think it’s improved. I didn’t feel like I was about a die like before. I think maybe I can deal now until I decide $500 in the windshield is a good investment. I have other priorities at the moment.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:25 AM

Sorry I'm late to the party, this just came up on the what's new email. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bar Keeper's Friend. Similar to Bon Ami but contains Oxalic Acid, specifically made for hard water stains. I've had good success on windshields and old glassware.
jus another .02

Old 09-26-2018, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks interesting ... so I just ordered some of that for around the house work.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowd View Post
Sorry I'm late to the party, this just came up on the what's new email. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bar Keeper's Friend. Similar to Bon Ami but contains Oxalic Acid, specifically made for hard water stains. I've had good success on windshields and old glassware.
jus another .02
I saw that, I ended up using some off brand cleaner because I thought most of what I was looking for was the grit. But maybe that would be better. i remember seeing it at the store.