Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-29-2018, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Finally threw the towel in on my 8 track and Delco radio

Had the driver seat out so I decided to check some stereo wiring I had tucked in behind the 8 track. (on console)

Some time ago I put two small 4 OHM box speakers in front and behind (on the floor) of each bucket seat. I wired them in series to get the necessary 8 OHMS for these old school units. I almost never use the 8 track or in dash stereo, other than the occasional test to see if they are working.

Think the 8 track belt finally bit the dust after 48 years. I can hear the motor running but pretty sure the tape isn't moving. All good things come to an end.

The stereo Radio WAS working, then in stages I was moving the wires into bundles to be hidden behind the 8 track. Well then one channel quit. Tested the plugs and connectors and speakers . . . . .well there's just nothing coming from one channel any longer.

So sadly my Delco equipment is just eye candy. My glove box stereo is wired to the rear deck speakers, and it's all I listen to anyway, but I always liked knowing my other **** worked. RIP

Before everyone gets jiggy and starts listing the guys that repair this old school stuff, well . . . . .it's an old school craft. And they deserve to be compen$ated for their knowledge.

I just don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars to have it fixed, or converted to new technology. Somewhere there is some retired guy who enjoys tinkering on this stuff and makes a buck or two or ? and likes making it work again.
We just haven't met.
Meanwhile, tunes just have to come from the JVC in my glove box, and the Delco repair money could go toward maybe some Cragar SS wheels or ??

Old 07-30-2018, 06:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck Bobalong. Hope you "get 'er done"

Old 07-30-2018, 08:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Reminds me of my uncle Frank {RIP}, worked on 8 tracks, tv's, cb's, you name it, taught me how to repair 8 track tapes, got allot of miles out of them after they'd break.

He could just about hold his hand up and say "Heal" to fix stuff, be patient, there are still people out there that work on things reasonably.

I use to be a member of Columbia Records so what he taught me went along ways, I'm sure I have stock in that place much as I spent there.

Edit: He use to work on everybody's chit for free, hell of a good guy, coincidentally that's what his occupation was as well.

Frank

Last edited by 4zpeed; 07-30-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A Bluetooth speaker and your phone is an 'OK' way of inexpensive tunes in a classic, but you will never have a 'real' music experience in your car without a modern stereo. The Bluetooth speaker can also be used in other situations too.

If you want the 'look' of original, what you've done is pretty much the way to go, and the original stuff doesn't even have to work.

I see nice OE dash inserts that have been cut for DIN head units pop up on ebay now and then, that's an option, buy a used one that looks pretty good and swap it out. If you ever want to go back, you can.

I just go all-in these days for my cars when it comes to stereos, because I never plan on selling my cars. The experience is incredible, and can do 100+ with the windows down and still make my ears bleed if I want to.

My car stereos are better than anything I have in my house, which makes sense, since if I had something beefy in my house, the neighbors would complain if I cranked it too loud anyway. I can hear people's surround systems as I go for walks, and some I can even tell what movie they are watching. I'm not going to be 'that' guy. In the car, I can turn it up as loud as I want, and usually play some songs loud when on country drives.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-30-2018, 09:51 PM

Check with the local vets. I knew of few Navy ETs that could repair circuit cards so a radio shouldnt be too hard for them. Another option might be a local ham club. I know there are still a few around as I used to pick them up on hf in the E6 i flew.

SC&C Stage II 17x8 with 255/50/17
Old 07-31-2018, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goa484 View Post
Check with the local vets. I knew of few Navy ETs that could repair circuit cards so a radio shouldnt be too hard for them. Another option might be a local ham club. I know there are still a few around as I used to pick them up on hf in the E6 i flew.
I was an AE, and attached to an A-6 squadron. I did component level repair early on in my career when I left the Navy, and repair on 'older' equipment is much easier than repair on today's equipment. Most everything is now multi-layer boards, and high density ICs. But good idea, there are local clubs and support for repair of 'vintage' equipment.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be