THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thinking the same. If the wheel were black, the open spoke is attractive. It's the gun metal gray that changes the look.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I prefer the closed spokes as well.
Getting back to the spinner attachment issue, I know you must have thought of this but why wouldn't a simple screw-on/knock-off arrangement work? Left hand thread on the right side, right hand thread on the left side?

Old 04-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Greg -

I tend to agree with you in regards to the closed spoke or Indy 500 wheel. It's for sure my favorite out of the bunch and is extremely rare and difficult to get a hold of, especially in the 15 x 6 configuration. You know, I haven't even mounted these wheels yet to a car as I'm figuring out how to mange the final finish on the aluminum.

With your thoughts in mind, If I were to do this project over, I would of done the left handed screw spinner route. It may be possible to still do it with the current design, but bolt length is always a consideration since the front wheel dust cap on the rotor is a limiting factor. I think it can be done. It does however, remove the securities that I've put in place such as some dumb ass steeling the spinners, but the car rarely leaves my sight. There's always a person lurking for opportunity if you look hard enough...

Putting a high tension spring integration around the bolt with dowel pins may be a solution for flying parts, but it still doesn't remove the dumb ass factor.

Last edited by 428RA4; 04-11-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So after 5 years of restoring this set of Cragar wheels, I threw them on my ride and went to a car show here in California. I didn't even take a picture of the car at the show because I was too busy shooting everyone's rides. I don't think I've ever done that before. DUH~!

Always, here they are and will post shots of the car later. Got lots of head scratching though at the show. Well that and a sun burn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	453548   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0064.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	453549   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg
Views:	45