THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
I went to discount tire last fall and put a new set on my daily ride. It needed them. Bought a high end 70,000 mile Pirelli
Those are the ones he recommended to me, since he said the Yokohamas I had used for years were "discontinued." I've found that those "ultra high milage" tires have terrible traction, so I "settled" for the 50,000 mile Pirellis for a few less bucks.

When I bought my Pontiac, the guy who sold it to me had Pirellis on it, which he thought were good due to the brand name. They bit the road like those plastic tires they put on kids' bikes.

My extra car is a 20 year-old Toyota Camry that has some of those "70,000 mile" tires on it. I'll get 30 year old minivans tailgating me on curvy roads, because it doesn't take much to start those sliding.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I took my 78 Datsun 280Z in to Costco to get tires a few years back and he said not in stock because the car required "Z" rated tires being it's a high performance sports car. I replied to him you do know those tires didn't even exist when this car was made right?
Just recently "my know it all" wife went to get new tires on her 2014 Accord Sport...rolls out with $800. worth of "Z" rated tires. I should have known better.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 03-13-2017, 06:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyvintage View Post
If you mean America's Tires - Discount Tire

I have been buying tires there on & off for over 30 years

No store I visited has ever tried to add road hazard certificates without my consent

All (12) of my tires on my truck & trailer right now were bought at Discount Tire
which is the same company

Jim
I "believe" they are two separate companies.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Discount Tire Company is a tire and wheel retailer owned by The Reinalt-Thomas Corporation, headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona.[1] Discount Tire is known as America's Tire in California (except for San Diego County, where it is still known as "Discount Tire").

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What drives me nuts is Sams Club wouldn't mount my tires for the Lemans as they weren't the original tire size for the model I own. Then also said they wouldn't because the tires weren't the same size front and rear. I went to Walmart and they gave the same spiel but I talked to the manager and said I would be willing to sign a waiver which he then pulled out of his paperwork drawer and I signed, had no problem doing it once I signed the waiver. Both companies are owned By Walmart but one couldn't do it and the other obviously did it often enough to keep the paperwork up front to do. I guess I can't order the 33x10 off road tires for my truck anymore as they aren't factory. I just get frustrated from the nanny state we are becoming where we can't take responsibility for our own decisions. Gov't and big companies need to tell us what we should do.Arghhhh

Old 03-14-2017, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontibeast View Post
What drives me nuts is Sams Club wouldn't mount my tires for the Lemans as they weren't the original tire size for the model I own. Then also said they wouldn't because the tires weren't the same size front and rear. I went to Walmart and they gave the same spiel but I talked to the manager and said I would be willing to sign a waiver which he then pulled out of his paperwork drawer and I signed, had no problem doing it once I signed the waiver. Both companies are owned By Walmart but one couldn't do it and the other obviously did it often enough to keep the paperwork up front to do. I guess I can't order the 33x10 off road tires for my truck anymore as they aren't factory. I just get frustrated from the nanny state we are becoming where we can't take responsibility for our own decisions. Gov't and big companies need to tell us what we should do.Arghhhh
Thank the lawyers and crybabys for that

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 03-15-2017, 03:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I get my tires on Amazon ... and with Amazon Prime ....
Interesting.. check it out.

Didn't have a clue there were this many choices for 14" tires.

Brands they might have even made up.

Who knew?