Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-08-2016, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question In tank pump

I need to upgrade my fuel system to feed 570hp, with a intank retrofit PA Series EFI style pump and using a bypass return regulator can you get away using factory 3/8 size line, or do you need to go to 1/2''?

Old 11-09-2016, 10:52 AM

3/8 line may work up to a point but 1/2 inch line would be my preferred option, if doing any track time I would say it's a must.
I am running 1/2 line from a stock tank to robb mc 1100hp mechanical pump, robb mc dead head regulator, this system is in a full weight firebird that just ran 11:03 @ 125. about the same hp as yours.
hope this helps.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gke60 View Post
3/8 line may work up to a point but 1/2 inch line would be my preferred option, if doing any track time I would say it's a must.
I am running 1/2 line from a stock tank to robb mc 1100hp mechanical pump, robb mc dead head regulator, this system is in a full weight firebird that just ran 11:03 @ 125. about the same hp as yours.
hope this helps.
I was just reading about those pumps yesterday. The instructions say half inch (-8an) is good up to 750 HP

Old 11-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Suspended

For me that means my line is more than adequate with beats the hell out of being less.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're using an EFI pump, yes, you can use 3/8s, BUT, it will be borderline.

If you're using an EFI pump with a carb, you have to run a bypass regulator, and the bypass line has to be large enough to bypass enough to get the psi down far enough for the carb. Meaning, you will need at least a 1/2" line min. Since you have to run that line, you might as well run 2, and remove any doubt if 3/8s will be enough.

The regulator is key as well. You can talk to Tanks, Inc, they have some recommendations as to which regulators to use, but many here have had success with the Aeromotive 13301. It comes with 2 springs, one for carb apps and one for EFI apps.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-09-2016, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will be selling an Aeromotive 13301 in like-new condition very soon

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 11-09-2016, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Run 1/2 and be done with it....do it once and don't worry about it.....

1973 Firebird Navajo Orange w/shaker,1973 400/461,1972 Intake SD CNC'd,1977 Q-Jet 800 CFM w/ Cliffs Kit,Tanks Inc PA4 255 Walbro intank pump ,-8an feed/return,RobbMc Regulator,RobbMc 40 micron filter,253 CFM 6x-8's w/H.S 1:5 Roller Rockers,SD Stump Puller H/R Cam 230/236 @.050 112 lobe separation 565/.570 lift,Crower Solid Rollers,28150 Hedman Headers,3" exhaust,full tailpipes,350 Turbo,9.5" 3200 Converter,3:42 gear,8.5 posi,C/E slide-alinks,Koni adj frt shocks,Best 12.18@110.55 Lookin for 11's
Old 11-09-2016, 08:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Has any one seen this yet, came across it last night, looks to be a solution for people like myself who want an easier way to do things

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/list-o...oducts-so-far/
It's a new Aeromotive Phantom pump that doesn't require a return line, be easy running one 1/2'' line and cheaper.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:42 PM
Senior Chief

Hmm nice pump..I have the original Aeromotive phantom(3yrs) ,uses the return.
Cant go wrong with there products.
Line size...been down that road ,go big and forget it.
Have read it on this forum...build your system 2 sec quicker than your car will run. Not sure if its the best baseline but wont hurt.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:25 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquewar View Post
Line size...been down that road ,go big and forget it.
Have read it on this forum...build your system 2 sec quicker than your car will run. Not sure if its the best baseline but wont hurt.
Some nice info and graphs in this link.

http://fuelab.com/fuel-line-size-vs-pressure-drop/

Most have got the larger fuel line size down but then they try to run the pump with a #16 or #14 wire to the pump. Good pumps need larger amperage wiring, larger amperage relays, and good ground circuits. You can control the fuel pump relay with the small wire but the power that drives the fuel pump needs to be sized similar to the Torquewar fuel line deal. Make the wire size larger than the pump states and you and the pump will be happy. Make the fuse for the pump the correct size for the pump draw.

Tom V

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:30 AM
Senior Chief

Excellent post Tom. Good read.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzmann View Post
Has any one seen this yet, came across it last night, looks to be a solution for people like myself who want an easier way to do things

It's a new Aeromotive Phantom pump that doesn't require a return line, be easy running one 1/2'' line and cheaper.
Have you priced that thing? No way is it a cheaper solution. You can buy a new tank, pump, regulator, and lines for the cost of one of those things. They're like $450+

There's no free lunch. I've seen all kinds of ways people try to get around running a pair of 1/2 inch lines, and in the end? Guess what? Most run the lines. And have a pile of parts left over from attempts to get around having to run those lines. Same with electrical pumps, seen all kinds of stuff that people say 'works', but in the long run? Yeah. Most switch over to a pair of lines and an electric pump. (or live with their' stuff because they're tired of dealing with the problem)

Only time I can think of that using a product like the one from Aeromotive is if the EFI tanks are not available for their' make/model.

But it's good people are doing their' homework, you get a much better understanding and can make wiser decisions.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzmann View Post

Looks like the same pump with a new name. Aeromotive has had a pump they called the Stealth pump for quite a long time now. Same deal where it's enclosed in it's own bladder and drops into your stock tank.

It's an easy way to put an electric pump in the car that is quiet and will run with the reliability of the OEM stuff.

Personally though, I would definitely want a return line no matter what. I much rather prefer to keep the fuel circulating and keep it cool. I never dead head these things. Stagnant fuel in the line near a heat source is a recipe for vapor lock. Granted it's harder to vapor lock when you have a ton of fuel pressure, but still..... It's not a big deal to run a pair of 1/2" lines in the car. Actually it's rather easy.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What my father did to feed his 571 that dyno'd 730hp is simply went with a Tanks Inc setup. The new tank is baffled for an in-tank pump. Then you can run any electric pump you desire in it. We went with the 400 LPH Walbro pump that puts out 60 psi. Designed to feed a big HP fuel injected engine, so it's more than enough to feed his engine with a carb. We simply regulate it down with an Aeromotive 13301 regulator and run 1/2 inch lines both feed and return. It works flawless, it's quiet, and has OEM reliability. Once all buttoned up the car looks bone stock, no sumps hanging off the tank, no pumps or filters hanging down, and the regulator is hidden. Best way to do any of these classic cars in my opinion, even lower HP stuff. With the fuel pressure these setups put out, you won't see vapor lock issues.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Have you priced that thing? No way is it a cheaper solution. You can buy a new tank, pump, regulator, and lines for the cost of one of those things. They're like $450+

There's no free lunch. I've seen all kinds of ways people try to get around running a pair of 1/2 inch lines, and in the end? Guess what? Most run the lines. And have a pile of parts left over from attempts to get around having to run those lines. Same with electrical pumps, seen all kinds of stuff that people say 'works', but in the long run? Yeah. Most switch over to a pair of lines and an electric pump. (or live with their' stuff because they're tired of dealing with the problem)

Only time I can think of that using a product like the one from Aeromotive is if the EFI tanks are not available for their' make/model.

But it's good people are doing their' homework, you get a much better understanding and can make wiser decisions.

Yea it is expensive, $429 thru Summit but shipping a whole fuel tank down under is expensive as well. $70 for Aeromotive pump only verse $350-400 for a tank.
Still researching what to do, and very much appreciate the input from you guys.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:02 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
What my father did to feed his 571 that dyno'd 730hp is simply went with a Tanks Inc setup. The new tank is baffled for an in-tank pump. Then you can run any electric pump you desire in it. We went with the 400 LPH Walbro pump that puts out 60 psi. Designed to feed a big HP fuel injected engine, so it's more than enough to feed his engine with a carb. We simply regulate it down with an Aeromotive 13301 regulator and run 1/2 inch lines both feed and return. It works flawless, it's quiet, and has OEM reliability. Once all buttoned up the car looks bone stock, no sumps hanging off the tank, no pumps or filters hanging down, and the regulator is hidden. Best way to do any of these classic cars in my opinion, even lower HP stuff. With the fuel pressure these setups put out, you won't see vapor lock issues.
I have posted several times that I have the Tanks,inc (64 GTO EFI) tank for my car.
Really like the way the parts are made and the tank is new vs my old tank. I would not installed the Aeromotive Stealth retro parts in that old tank. I bought new Tank,inc parts. I really like Aeromotive parts though and have helped others with their set-ups.

I personally plan on modifying my Tanks, inc so that I can run two of the efi pumps in the tank (much like the Dual Phantom Aeromotive set-up). One pump would be for normal driving and one as a back-up/boosted engine fuel pump. I have two 3/8" steel fuel lines installed on the vehicle so feeding each line with a separate pump is easy. A larger return line would return the excess fuel to the rear gas tank.

I am in the design phase at the moment for the custom fuel pump hanger assy.

Tom V.

You have seen pics of the NASH/Warrior EFI set-up I put together.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree on all counts. Tanks Inc is my first choice and the way to do it. I used to hang around a group of guys that worked on and drove nothing but 86-87 GN's, and it was common for them to run dual walbro pumps in the tank. I was close to doing that with a Typhoon I was playing with at that time but ended up with one big pump. I'm doing Tanks Inc on my chevelle as well to get it ready for more HP that's coming. Gotta keep up with pops.

I don't recall if I've seen pics of the Nash EFI but that sounds very interesting, I'd love to see it. I'll pm you an email address to make things easier.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:25 PM
Suspended

I was just talking to a guy that mentioned he's running an old warrior dual quad setup with a mechanical and electric. He didn't have his car out so I couldn't get a first hand look at what he had cooking.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I have posted several times that I have the Tanks,inc (64 GTO EFI) tank for my car.
Really like the way the parts are made and the tank is new vs my old tank. I would not installed the Aeromotive Stealth retro parts in that old tank. I bought new Tank,inc parts. I really like Aeromotive parts though and have helped others with their set-ups.

My tank is only around 8 years old, and as my car is only driven week-ends and not in the rain if possible, it's still like new. Don't see the sense in replacing it if I don't really need too. I'm definitely leaning towards the Aeromotive pump at this stage, keep the thoughts and idea's coming.