Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-03-2016, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shutting off the ignition/mag at WOT does nothing!! By that time the spark plug is lit like a welding rod & it will continue to run. After a good hard pass, the ground electrode will be totally burned off down to the base of the plug. Plugs are good for 1 pass only. Shutting off the fuel is about the only way but it has its consequences, You shut off fuel at WOT,, the motor goes lean, gets super hot & can melt the heads right off the block.

Back in my old Detroit Diesel days, had a 6V53T run away, was very lucky that it still had an operational emergency shut off flapper on the blower intake. Pulled the emergency handle & it shut right off. Big spring loaded door inside of the intake that shuts off the incoming air.

POCI.org
Old 02-04-2016, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith,had a friend have the same engine do the same thing.When he shot off the air box being old it sucked some gaskets and ran off the oil.Tom

Old 02-04-2016, 02:23 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggto View Post
Weren't the Surfers one of the originals in the learning curve?
No. Much was learned a generation prior to that- in circle track racing and dry lakes racing, although mixtures of more than 50% nitro weren't common until about '52-'53 in drag racing.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:39 PM

Steve Barcack completely blew out the side of his block out one time on his fueler while it was sitting on stands in the pits. Apparently he didnt back it down enough? Luckily the shrapnel went away from the crowd that was there watching.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to adam woodmancy

pretty bitchin stuff

Quarter-Max Chassis and Racing Components
Old 02-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast 69 View Post
Steve Barcack completely blew out the side of his block out one time on his fueler while it was sitting on stands in the pits. Apparently he didnt back it down enough? Luckily the shrapnel went away from the crowd that was there watching.
Yes,, That is the only time we have had that happen & totally my fault. A very expensive lesson to learn. And with that, we implemented several changes to our procedures, to include, nobody will be standing beside the car when its being fired except for crew. All spectators we insist stand in front or behind the car when its being fired in the pits. After its running, then they can move to the side of the car. IIRC, Frank G. from AP was in the drivers seat when it went Boom! # 7 cylinder went away. Parts even blew through the side of the fueler trailer next to the car. I was standing at the R/F corner of the motor getting ready to remove the starter, so I caught quite a blast of flames out of the blower, got hair & eyebrows singed.

POCI.org
Old 02-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have stood right in your shoes and it's a serious, no BS deal starting and warming a nitro engine. I just hate it when it doesn't want to light at the starting line. No turning back then. If it doesn't start, you have no choice other than go through the clearing out process and try again. You just can't crank and start these engines on nitro alone, the fuel is too unstable. We use gasoline in the pits to light it and warm with alcohol for 90 sec. to 2 minutes, then switch to fuel. Starting line, lots of gasoline, as soon as it lights, go to fuel before the gasoline runs out. After 5 years, I am getting pretty decent at it.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We start on gas also. When we shut down after firing in the pits, we use gas again after the fuel is shut off. Run gas until all the nitro burns out, rpms goes up & flames goes away, then take the gas away & she dies!! If we have a no fire at the line, we don't risk it, we back away from the line, pull the plugs & spin her over for a bit to clear out everything. Then start the whole process again! Gotta give it plenty of respect when you are playing with liquid dynamite!!

POCI.org
Old 02-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I learned some cool stuff! Thanks for the info.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the read Eric et al, cheers. That's alot of steps achieved short order. Are the tuners wearing body armour? LOL Stay safe all.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:49 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
... Are the tuners wearing body armour?...
If I remember right, Steve was wearing shorts when his fuel motor "boomed"- only singed some leg hair. It's second nature to me to stand clear- I was maybe fifteen feet from the left-rear, but it still startled the heck out of me. Don't know whether Frank G ever sat in a fueler again?!