Old 11-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Andy-

Just checking to see if I missed any up-dates on the steering wheel project? Also could you post a pic or two of your TR-6? I have a 71. Had a good friend in High School with a new 74 he got as a graduation present from his parents. I always liked them. I've only had mine for about 3 years now, but like the rest of them, I plan on holding on to it. I seam to have a problem letting cars go after I get them.

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:03 PM
Senior Chief

Hi Charles

Unfortunately no updates on the wheel since the last photos I posted. My wife got a bit impatient with me taking over the garage for my various projects. I have the engine out of my GTO, new exhaust for it spread over one of the bays, and the TR6 with the front end pulled apart. She told me it's time I start finishing a few of these and give her some space back in the garage - lol. I will get back to the wheel soon and post my progress.

I decided to focus on finishing my restore of the six since its sat awhile after rebuilding the rear end, u-joints, balancing the drive shaft and replacing the transmission seals. I converted the rear brakes to metric using the Datsun 510 cylinders which should help shorten braking distance. I also wired in LED third brake light on my luggage rack since this car sits so low for improved visibility. Now I'm knee-deep in removing and rebuilding the 40 year front suspension. The car still had the original blue Armstrong shocks and the trunion design was an unusual work around for a ball joint. Apparently you're supposed to use gear oil in them and mine were gunked with decades old grease.

They are fun cars but a tight fit. Drive like a go cart and the straight 6 has a great sounding exhaust. But the Brits didn't build them for reliability. Unless you put in a modern fuse box and wiring harness, you can expect a lot of gremlins. The entire car runs off three fuses. I like the early cars better style bumpers. I also like the TR250 and would like to own one some day. Here's a photo of mine before I started pulling things apart.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfisher View Post
I saw an article 20+ years ago of similar process where different courses hacksaw blades were pulled side ways across the wheel to create the graining texture.. How were you planning to do??
This is the technique I am using. I have a old set of wood working tools from my grandpa. I'm using them along with and assortment of blades to etch in the grain and bring through the black base coat. I'll then likely do a final light wash of paint to tone the highlights and finish with a clear coat.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I recently tried to refinish my shift knob on my GTO and am pretty happy with the results. Wish I had taken some before pictures; the knob was a smooth brown before I started as all the grain had worn away from the years.

I used a rattle can brown for the base and 2 different shades of brown applied with an air brush for some variance. The grain was done by hand using a brush dabbed with black paint.

I am working on the steering wheel now.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:32 AM
Senior Chief

Nice job on the shift knob. Can I ask what brown paint you used with the air brush?

The glossy wood tone lacquer I used produced a nice wood color, but the lacquer base proved too brittle. It began to chip when I started to etch in the wood grain pattern. I did find a way to successfully reproduce the finger joints (even though it appears they weren't applied to the '67 wheels originally), but I wasn't happy with the way the paint behaved when I started the graining. I've sanded it back to the base coat and plan to try a different color coat. It's too cold to paint here right now so I'm on hold again until it warms up some. Might try the airbrush route myself.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used Testers model master burnt sienna and leather paints.
I did finish the wheel last week and was pleased with the results.

For the clear I used Spray Max 2k with excellent results. Laid out beautifully and seems very durable.