Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default good guys car show in scottsdale az

hi,

has anyone gone to it this last couple days? I did, it was great. what a parts swap! I saw a blue 69 gto judge on a trailer for sale. what a super event. any other cool stuff to do in Arizona that you forum members know about? I'm down from Canada.

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane
Old 03-15-2015, 02:54 PM

How long are you in town for? There's a car show every Saturday that's been going for 20+ years now, we usually try to go whenever we get a free Saturday- lots of fun, plenty of beautiful cars.

http://www.thepavilionsattalkingstic...rom-4-8pm.html

.040 over 400, 68cc #62 heads, stump puller cam
TH400, 3.31 posi
Old 03-15-2015, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

just in town till Wednesday, oh shucks, next time I'm down I'll hit that car show on the Saturday. sounds like fun!

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane
Old 03-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have a car to drive and want to get in touch with some close desert scenery, just get on the 60 east to Power Road. If you are in Scottsdale, you could get on the 202 East to Power Rd. Go North, and it will eventually go down into a river valley and head East as the "Bush Hwy" out to Saguaro Lake.

Another alternative would be to take the 60 out to Idaho Rd and go North to the Old HWY 88. The Old 88 goes Northeast through some winding canyons and scenery out to Canyon Lake. Along the way you can stop at Goldfield, a reproduced/relocated mining town from the late 1800's/early 1900's. You can stop for a beer in Tortilla Flats, get some breakfast, whatever. It's a really nice drive.

I don't know what flavor you are after, but those two options are easily accessible and get you out of the "hi, I'm just another city, only drier". These are some low-cal, low dollar suggestions.

Actually, I like doing the whole Salt River system better than doing the Grand Canyon. The drive from Roosevelt Lake back to Mesa on the Old 88 is stunning, and a little bit of a white knuckle thrill if you are not used to driving narrow canyon roads. The whole area is more accessible and easier to interact with the wilderness.

google maps link. Check out the satellite view too.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...4e9203f92d7647

Old 03-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Another alternative would be to take the 60 out to Idaho Rd and go North to the Old HWY 88. The Old 88 goes Northeast through some winding canyons and scenery out to Canyon Lake. Along the way you can stop at Goldfield, a reproduced/relocated mining town from the late 1800's/early 1900's. You can stop for a beer in Tortilla Flats, get some breakfast, whatever. It's a really nice drive.

Actually, I like doing the whole Salt River system better than doing the Grand Canyon. The drive from Roosevelt Lake back to Mesa on the Old 88 is stunning, and a little bit of a white knuckle thrill if you are not used to driving narrow canyon roads. The whole area is more accessible and easier to interact with the wilderness.

X2 ... The drive from Goldfield to Rosevelt Lake on the Apache Trail is Awesome.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just a few Pontiacs from the show
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150315_193003.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	392902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150315_192932.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	392903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150315_192908.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	392904  

Old 03-15-2015, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What in the Heck are you doing down there, missing all the nice weather back home, LOL. OOOppps raining today, LOL. Hope your having fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_blake View Post
hi,

has anyone gone to it this last couple days? I did, it was great. what a parts swap! I saw a blue 69 gto judge on a trailer for sale. what a super event. any other cool stuff to do in Arizona that you forum members know about? I'm down from Canada.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post

How long would you say this is round trip? My folks live near Carefree and I'm taking my kids out there early April. I've taken them hiking in the Tonto and up Camelback but they start complaining if we "sightsee" too long. Lol. Any other suggestions for activities with early teen kids?

Old 03-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Twistytee View Post
How long would you say this is round trip? My folks live near Carefree and I'm taking my kids out there early April. I've taken them hiking in the Tonto and up Camelback but they start complaining if we "sightsee" too long. Lol. Any other suggestions for activities with early teen kids?
Here are some ideas…
  • Tonto National Monument (south of Roosevelt Lake), short hike up to Cliff dwellings that you can see up close.
  • Goldfield (mining town already mentioned, they have a short zip line run now)
  • Greasewood Flat in the Pinnacle Peak area for a burger. I think it's still open. Pinnacle Peak Patio is also close by.
  • Indoor skydiving in Elroy.
  • Diamondbacks. Open up on April 6 against the Giants.
  • Walk around the kitschy shops in Old Town Scottsdale.
  • Kart racking at Bondurant or the many indoor tracks
  • Ice skating at the Ice Den in Scottsdale
  • Tubing down the salt river (Mesa)

2 hour drive or so north:
  • Sedona Pink Jeep tour,
  • Slide rock state park just north of Sedona
  • Jerome nice drive, walk around the art galleries/shops

2 hour drive or so south:
  • Pima Air Museum
  • Tombstone
  • Arizona Sonora Desert Museum
  • Kartchner Caverns State Park

Old 03-16-2015, 09:34 PM
Senior Chief

This is great. Thanks!

I'd also like to take my dad to the Talking Stick car show mentioned by Rodney R. I'm trying to get him to come out for the East Coast Drag Times show this fall as it's less than an hours drive from my brother's place.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Twistytee View Post
Any other suggestions for activities with early teen kids?
Boot camp, or some sort of hyper-sleep chamber where they can wake up a few years later.

Hiking the trail up to the Flatiron (or at least part way to the Flatiron) at Lost Dutchman State Park/Tonto Natl Forest is a good one. Or, for a quickie, try Silly Mountain off the US60 out on the East side of Apache Junction. That one is easily accessible, close to town, and doesn't get you buried deep in the wilderness when the teenagers start complaining.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You never know what you will see out on apache trail. Roosevelt was nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150318_075715.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	393130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150318_075636.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	393131  

Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney R View Post
How long are you in town for? There's a car show every Saturday that's been going for 20+ years now, we usually try to go whenever we get a free Saturday- lots of fun, plenty of beautiful cars.

http://www.thepavilionsattalkingstic...rom-4-8pm.html
I plan on moving to Prescott this summer when I retire. I can drive my car all year long there.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I really liked Sedona, heading back to phoenix there is a mini red rock structure to climb on the left hand side of the road which looks like a lot of fun.

spring break on right now so everything was expensive but I had a great time...