Old 12-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Senior Chief

I have it wired like Carls diagram in post a little earlier and the motor is a standard 12 V universal with one Redwire one blue wire red lot wire is constant blue wire is switched to make it go up and then the blue wires turned off and it goes down automatically I have the factory switch on the dash where you push one side to left it goes up pushed to the right it goes down in the middle it's neutral and no electrical contact with the spring so it won't hold in one position unless you hold it.

CURRENT CARS
68 Firbird 400ci convertible
Old 12-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Senior Chief

However after I spent time wiring I realized how could this work at all because I still need to have juice going to the motor which in the set up it still does not go to the motor by itself I just would like to have the factory switch work with this motor because it's the only type of motor you can buy. It is designed for newer stereos where the stereo turns on and raises the antenna. And the motor gets a constant or timed constant so it can lower when radio is turned off.

CURRENT CARS
Old 12-17-2014, 02:52 AM
Senior Chief

Your antenna has two wires only to it?

If so,have you tested it on a battery? Does it need the red wire on one post, blue on the other to make it go either up or down? If so, if you reverse the wires, does it go the opposite way?

If so, then this wiring diagram should work for you. I did it on my 66 and it works perfectly.

Can you make a drawing or post pictures of how you wired your relays just to make sure it's correct?

Old 12-17-2014, 02:56 AM
Senior Chief

If I read your post correctly, you mean the red is supposed to be constant 12 volts to the motor, regardless of up or down? I don't see how that can work?

Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Senior Chief

I know I have it wired right when I work the factory switch on the dash power goes through the black wire than the white depending on if I do the switch to the left or right so that's all correct. the red is a constant that's what pulls the antenna down when the radio is turned off the blue wire the blue wire raises the antenna and trips the breaker or points in the antenna motor to disconnect the pulldown part of the motor which is the constant read if that makes sense. I will double check to make sure Alll he wires on the relays are clocked correctly again

CURRENT CARS
Old 12-17-2014, 10:37 AM
Senior Chief

Sorry talk to text on my phone trying to proofread that best I can do sometimes

CURRENT CARS
Old 12-18-2014, 02:52 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto65lvr View Post
I know I have it wired right when I work the factory switch on the dash power goes through the black wire than the white depending on if I do the switch to the left or right so that's all correct. the red is a constant that's what pulls the antenna down when the radio is turned off the blue wire the blue wire raises the antenna and trips the breaker or points in the antenna motor to disconnect the pulldown part of the motor which is the constant read if that makes sense. I will double check to make sure Alll he wires on the relays are clocked correctly again
If I read that right, then you should be able to ground the antenna, hook the "up" wire from your switch to blue and the "down" wire from your switch to red and have it all working.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Senior Chief

That what I would think it should do to, BUt after doing the wiring, per your diagram, seemed busy because it is still making the factory switch a monetary switch which is the same as not having the relays added. However the red wire has to be set to a constant for it to all work. But in order to keep the antenna "up" the blue wire has to stay energized or the antenna will retract itself. It is like the blue wire is a trigger for the motors point setup which lifts a contact to keep the motor from going down and creates a contact for the power to be redirected and raise the antenna. and reverse when the power to the blue lead is removed. the point opens and the other reconnects to allow the constant lead to power the motor to bring it down.

It is very simple but unless someone has the electrical ingenuity to somehow get the orig dash switch to work I am going to have to make the dash ugly and put in a cheesy toggle switch.

Or put in a small push button somehow next to the factory antenna switch that is monetary that will act as the constant(red wire) and use the factory switch as the blue wire. That way I can raise the antenna and stop it where I want it. Only problem is you would have to hold the push button while flipping the factory switch and that could be a real pain in the butt for the owner of the car or make it a two handed operation.

Option 3 is what is the part number of the universal antennas you are using that allow the factory monetary switch to work with?

CURRENT CARS
Old 12-19-2014, 02:19 AM
Senior Chief

Something seems strange because if the red wire needs to be a constant live to keep the antenna up, wouldn't it kill the battery in the car? I am betting it may be a live feed from the battery and just goes to a relay. Maybe that relay is engaged whenever the key is turned on, released whenever the key is turned off and that would raise/lower it with the key.

I have no idea about my antenna! I got it in a bunch of car stuff, looked brand new but no package.