Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

On a carburated engine of your specs, the P-RPM would be the hands down winner and the Vic. would lose power across the the board. I don't know if this statement will apply to TB-FI or TB-FI-MP. Maybe T.V. and others could enlighten us.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just wanted to point out that

Edelbrock makes three EFI manifolds
-single plane T2 based with a 4150 flange and short injectors
-single plane Victor based with 4150 flange
-single plane Victor based with 4550 flange

Professional products makes two
-a ported street dominator based single plane 4150 flange
-an RPM dual plane copy with a Qjet/4150 flange

It's possible with the extremely compact dimensions of 4 hole throttle bodies, you have a shot with any of these fitting under a shaker.

I think the only reason I'd fabricate my own is if I had a hardon for factory fit and wanted to mod an aluminum HO reproduction for injectors. You'd have to run a spacer under and possible on top of the TB to get the height difference made up.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would not get to worried about using the Victor -- your thinking about it all wrong - you dont need to the intake to satisfy the needs of a carb and keep air speed up ect. ect. - -the fuel injection does that, If you look at all the throttle bodies for EFI there huge -- because its not nearly as important because the injectors feed the fuel via pressure - the engine is not DRAWING fuel from a carb via the signal from the intake -

The Following User Says Thank You to cgeise For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 09:48 PM

That's waht I was thinking. Wonder if anyone has any tests to verify.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
I would not get to worried about using the Victor -- your thinking about it all wrong - you dont need to the intake to satisfy the needs of a carb and keep air speed up ect. ect. - -the fuel injection does that, If you look at all the throttle bodies for EFI there huge -- because its not nearly as important because the injectors feed the fuel via pressure - the engine is not DRAWING fuel from a carb via the signal from the intake -
Exactly! You want big amounts of air to be drawn into the cylinder. The injector will supply the fuel level the ECU determines it to need.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:28 AM

On the other hand--- Port length and cross sectional area and plenum volume have to count for something

Old 02-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, definitely. TPI proved that.
I thought about adding that after I posted that last comment, but I think for our street engines, the HSD/PP Hurricane should provide the right amount of air- both velocity and volume-wise.
Race engines and the like are beyond my experience, as far as EFI is concerned, but back in the early 90's I did acquire a 70 Formula 350 A/T w/ a HSD on it. Ran it that way and was quite surprised how well it ran for being "over-manifolded"- so after playing w/ EFI a little(very little, really) bit, I'm gonna run a system based of this manifold.