73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim once told me the left over white LeMans Sport Coupes were sold by GM. I'm sure some are still around.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:04 AM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacdaver View Post
I would still love to find one of the "non-Can Am" Can Ams, there has to be a few out there somewhere.
X2 IIRC there was a previous thread on PY about them several years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacs4ever1971 View Post
Jim hates the 73'gto but loves the can am.
IMO - his "Love" may be in part BC it was one of HIS company's "tape, graphics, and spoiler" jobs like the many shown in his book that just happens to be a Pontiac.

Look again at what his company was pedaling:

AMC Spirit "AMX"
Volare "Road Runner"
Mustang II "King Cobra"
Et al

Point is Motortown, just like Pontiac, was in business to make money and profit no matter what brand or vehicle they "gussied up" w tape and plastic.

Anyone else notice that the '77 Can Am used the old shaker design vs the '77 version? I'd be willing to bet that they got a great deal on the "old design" shakers instead of the then new '77 & up design. Wangers would certainly have been in the know as to future design changes, equipment, etc. to be offered from Pontiac. IMO the newer style shakers follow the Can Am flater & crisper hood and nose design lines of the '76/77 Le Mans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacs4ever1971 View Post
Tell me about it. Lot of similaraties
Agree - same cars. "I call cars like the 1973-77 Le Mans a '5-minute car.' "...this car was a loser. Four years later it had not been improved." Jim Wangers - Glory Days.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Suspended

Lightbulb

And before anyone gets bent out of shape here, I'm not throwing stones at glass houses.

Just some observations. Love our Grandma, err I mean Grand Am 1973 regardless of the above.

Just some interesting 1973-77 history IMO.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When we saw the new Can Ams on the dealer lot we thought they looked great, but were disappointed to find out it was an appearance package only, with no performance improvements.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
When we saw the new Can Ams on the dealer lot we thought they looked great, but were disappointed to find out it was an appearance package only, with no performance improvements.
I remember that too. At the time of launch all of us local gear heads felt the same disappointment of no performance added.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
The W72 was rated 20 hp over the other 400 in the rest of the A bodies. So, yes there was a performance improvement...

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 02-20-2014, 10:48 AM

School me...CanAmman, Alvin .. I hear you talk about the GP dash in the Can Ams, but my 76 Gran LeMans has the same dash. Did they use a different dash in the Gran series as opposed to the regular LeMans? Am I missing something or just lacking knowledge?

As a side note,I worked at a Pontiac dealer in 76 & 77, we had a local police dept. order several 77 LeMans for use.I drove a few around and noticed the steering,it was a little stiffer to operate, not like the wishy-washy normal power steering, I really liked he feel of it and was wondering what they did to implement this feeling in the steering. Special box, reduced pressure ? I figured if anyone would know it would be Canamman . thanks Jim

Old 02-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any a-body with "Grand" in the name has the GP dash. Grand Prix, Grand Am, Grand Lemans (there is no Gran Lemans).

Can't say about the steering.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:29 AM
Suspended

The Grand LeMans was & is the better step up in the LeMans series & they got the better dash lay out which was the up graded Grand Am / Grand Prix dash. The police car package cars from Pontiac came with the Y-99 suspension which part of it was the better sterring gear which was a high effort for better road feel. There is a code for the sterring but I don't have that info at hand. But it was a part of the police package.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:36 AM

Thank you for the info, much appreciated.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsSixtySix View Post
School me...CanAmman I hear you talk about the GP dash in the Can Ams, but my 76 Gran LeMans has the same dash. Did they use a different dash in the Gran series as opposed to the regular LeMans? Am I missing something or just lacking knowledge?

As a side note,I worked at a Pontiac dealer in 76 & 77, we had a local police dept. order several 77 LeMans for use.I drove a few around and noticed the steering,it was a little stiffer to operate, not like the wishy-washy normal power steering, I really liked he feel of it and was wondering what they did to implement this feeling in the steering. Special box, reduced pressure ? I figured if anyone would know it would be Canamman . thanks Jim
GP dashes were used in Can Ams, Grand Ams, '77 LeMans GT, and Grand LeMans. There were also a few unconverted "Can Am" LeMans Sport Coupes that were sold that used that dash.

The steering in the B07 and B09 police package Enforcers was a firm feel, 14:1 straight ratio, and was not utilized in other Pontiacs. I recently replaced the box in my '76 LeMans Enforcer with a '96 Impala SS box, and that box is even quicker/firmer than the original police box.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4