THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb NASCAR to change Chase format

Report: NASCAR ready to change Chase format

The Charlotte Observer is reporting that NASCAR will dramatically change its Sprint Cup points system to greater emphasize winning and feature an eliminations format in this year's Chase for the Championship playoff series. The newspaper credited its information to “multiple sources briefed on the plan this week.”

Among the changes outlined by the Observer on Friday evening:

-- The Chase field will be expanded from 12 to 16 drivers, virtually assuring that every major-team, big-sponsor “name” driver will make the playoffs. In recent years, a number of fan favorites -- among them, Kasey Kahne, Clint Bowyer, Mark Martin, Ryan Newman, Kyle Busch, Matt Kenseth, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon -- haven't qualified for the Chase.

-- A points-paying Sprint Cup victory in the first 26 “regular-season” races will almost assure a driver a place in the Chase. If more than 16 drivers win in the first 26 races, the 16 with the highest point total advance to the playoffs. If fewer than 16 drivers win races, points after the 26th race will be used to fill the field.

-- Three rounds of “knock-out” eliminations will trim the 16-driver field throughout the playoffs. The four drivers lowest in Chase points after the third, sixth and ninth races will be eliminated from title contention. The title then will be decided in the winner-takes-all season finale among four drivers at Homestead-Miami Speedway on Nov. 16. Those four drivers will have their points reset before the race, and the driver with the most points in that one event will be the champion.

Earlier this month, NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France said he was “not satisfied” with the current points structure. “We think we can make some tweaks that continue to incentivize risk-taking, racing harder and so on,” he said. Drivers, on the other hand, have said they can't run any harder than they already are and can't take more chances that they already do.
As for NASCAR, vice president and chief communications officer Brett Jewkes said the organization will have no comment until later in the month. “[We] have begun the process of briefing key industry stakeholders on potential concepts to evolve the Sprint Cup championship format,” he said in a statement. “This dialogue is the final phase of a multi-year process that has included the review of extensive fan research, partner and industry feedback and other data-driven insights.

“[We] have no plans to comment further until the stakeholder discussions are complete. We hope to announce any potential changes for the 2014 season to our media and fans very soon.”

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014...#ixzz2qxZeXgwX
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook

The Following User Says Thank You to Alvin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a novel idea. How about run the entire season, whoever has the most points at the end of it wins?

Will Monday rain delay wins mean less points? Months with an R need a little something extra too.
If an even numbered car wins on an odd number day you flip flop the top 2 positions, unless he also has an even number then it's rock paper sissors.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ho428 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wow.
whoopee.
sounds exciting.
i can't wait.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
I have a novel idea. How about run the entire season, whoever has the most points at the end of it wins?

Will Monday rain delay wins mean less points? Months with an R need a little something extra too.
If an even numbered car wins on an odd number day you flip flop the top 2 positions, unless he also has an even number then it's rock paper sissors.
More exciting news: Those "R" months will be by the newly signed "Oyster Safe" sponsorship!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
-- The Chase field will be expanded from 12 to 16 drivers, virtually assuring that every major-team, big-sponsor “name” driver will make the playoffs. In recent years, a number of fan favorites -- among them, Kasey Kahne, Clint Bowyer, Mark Martin, Ryan Newman, Kyle Busch, Matt Kenseth, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon -- haven't qualified for the Chase.
Forgot Danica in there?

Maybe expand the points to the top 30?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe include all the drivers!! The one with the most points wins!! How about that for a simple way to choose a winner!!??

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Invert the entire field, but keep it a secret.

Make it a little like the NFL draft, the 5 worst teams get the top 5 chase spots.

They'll never get it, you can't manufacture excitement. Some years it'll be there, some years it won't.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ho428 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who didn't see this coming?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
They had a system like that at one time. Some people thought it worked pretty well.

I'm one of those people.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Forgot Danica in there?

Maybe expand the points to the top 30?

If anyone wants to take me up on it, I'll bet she doesn't finish in the top 30 in drivers points at the end of the 2014 season!

Old 01-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like admitting you messed it up would speed the cure.
It would still be terminal..........

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Old 01-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

how about making the points earned at road races count double... just joking

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 01-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the new proposed rules. The Sprint Cup winner won't be a done deal until the last few laps.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 PM
Suspended

Talking

DSP! http://youtu.be/Y0cF2piwjYQ

Old 01-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB78 View Post
If anyone wants to take me up on it, I'll bet she doesn't finish in the top 30 in drivers points at the end of the 2014 season!
All drivers that run all 36 races for a team with reasonable funding will finish in the top 30.

Heck, Tony Stewart made the top 30 and only competed in 21 races. Mark Martin only raced in 28 races and finished 25th. Dave Blaney missed a race and finished 30th...

I think it's well known that I don't think Danica is not a real racer - but with the equipment provided her - if she just goes out and make laps she will finish in the top 30. Of course that's assuming that she races all 36 Cup races.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:29 AM
Suspended

Lightbulb

Earlier this month, NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France said he was “not satisfied” with the current points structure. “We think we can make some tweaks that continue to incentivize risk-taking, racing harder and so on,” he said. Drivers, on the other hand, have said they can't run any harder than they already are and can't take more chances that they already do.
As for NASCAR, vice president and chief communications officer Brett Jewkes said the organization will have no comment until later in the month. “[We] have begun the process of briefing key industry stakeholders on potential concepts to evolve the Sprint Cup championship format,” he said in a statement. “This dialogue is the final phase of a multi-year process that has included the review of extensive fan research, partner and industry feedback and other data-driven insights.

“[We] have no plans to comment further until the stakeholder discussions are complete. We hope to announce any potential changes for the 2014 season to our media and fans very soon.”

Fan Research Question #1 should have been: Why are our race series no longer relevant, exciting or entertaining to you?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was going to comment on this but changed my mind at the last second, afraid I may offend fans of Hendrick Motorsports.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.W.Dille View Post
I was going to comment on this but changed my mind at the last second, afraid I may offend fans of Hendrick Motorsports.
C'mon, we're waiting with baited breath!

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They should just let the guys race and do away with the chase all together.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2002Z4CSS For This Useful Post: