THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 03:23 AM
Senior Chief

Default $650 radiator cap

On Nov 9th some guy paid $650 for a NOS AC radiator cap on EBAY, but it did include free shipping.

493/525 wide ratio 4sp 3:42 posi 13.07@105 full exhaust
Old 12-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen these caps go for insane money on many occasions-I just don't get it!

Old 12-31-2013, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
I've seen these caps go for insane money on many occasions-I just don't get it!
Well maybe the guy that bought the cap deserves that screen name more then you do

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those restoration freaks crack me up. Im just waiting for someday when one will say "Its got the original air in the tires".

Old 12-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A fool and his money are soon parted. I don't get it, either. I couldn't care less if any of my Pontiacs had an NOS AC radiator cap or not. I like to get out and hit the road. My water pump, alternator, and starter numbers don't match anymore, either. Oh, the horror of it all!!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Exclamation

Crap like this will be (or already is) the ruination of our hobby.

Some of the stuff posted here cracks me up. The fact is that most muscle cars, including GTOs and Firebirds, seldom lasted as "stock" for 6 months back in the day.

The exhaust manifolds, air cleaners, and carbs were often just tossed on the scrap heap in favor of headers, chrome stuff, and double pumpers.

Paying these insane prices benefits no one.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyer View Post
Im just waiting for someday when one will say "Its got the original air in the tires".
My spare does... but it's still in the can. Oh crap, it's the inflatable spare from my 79 Formula. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Crap like this will be (or already is) the ruination of our hobby.

Some of the stuff posted here cracks me up. The fact is that most muscle cars, including GTOs and Firebirds, seldom lasted as "stock" for 6 months back in the day.

The exhaust manifolds, air cleaners, and carbs were often just tossed on the scrap heap in favor of headers, chrome stuff, and double pumpers.

Paying these insane prices benefits no one.
Will not be the runitation of our hobby, it is a large part if the hobby!
The fact that most of those cars did lose their stock parts shortly after being put into service makes those parts more rare hence more valuable.
To each his own. Some want to drive their cars and don't care about numbers others enjoy the chalange of putting together a rare and valuable numbers car that will never get driven.
And of course people benifit from the sale of that cap. Certainly the seller benifited, the buyer is probabily happy as a clam to have it and we all get to talk about it. All parts of the hobby.

The Following User Says Thank You to GOAT WHORE For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyer View Post
Those restoration freaks crack me up. Im just waiting for someday when one will say "Its got the original air in the tires".
Herd it many times and just the other day on a tv show.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

lets put it in another light...

you have this 69 Camaro, that came frm the factory with a 427..youve done a total rostisserie resto, and the car is done, you have it judged, and they take points off because you have the wrong cap...you have $150 to $200 thousand dollars in the car...whats $650?

you cant even fathom the rarity of those assy line correct parts..because right after the car is delivered new..it could have changed...and was no longer available...

So ya know..i just sold a used one needing resto...for $200....so..its all in what ya value...

Its not going to ruin the hobby..very few can afford that level of car..and those that can..MORE POWER TO THEM...

for the rest of us..a repop or an Autozone piece might be fine...

I know guys with $4000 shot guns...i know alot with $1200 dollar shot guns....but thats ok right? That a$$hole with the $4000 gun is screwing up my hunting fun..so lets beat on him for a while...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxjunk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2013, 01:14 PM
PY VIP

Just caught this thread.

I do a weekly inner circle to my Turbo Buick customers and always report when I attend the various Carlisle events. The Corvette one every August is one of the largest. I remember one persons display under glass that featured several original radiator caps for the older Vettes priced between $200 to $600 each.

I also remember seeing various original bumper jacks for $300 or more. The Vette collector has always lead the way in prices and seeking out the original parts. Heck if we could produce air for tires dated certain dates you would make a fortune among Vette owners.

I remember when our company was the very first to do date coded plug wires for the GTO at the time only one other company was doing them Electric Limited out of Illinois (think they do the T3 headlites also)....they were $100 a set for black wires with proper dates on them.

I knew back then no way would a GTO owner pay $100 for wires. My up front costs were high because you had to make 2 print wheels for each year 2nd and 4th quarter times 8 years or so. We purposedly did even quarters as Electric Limited did odd quarters to avoid duplication etc...

Any rate going by memory I think we originally sold them for $60 or so a set. Initially they were not big sellers as back then not many GTO owners were gong to that extent. Also it wasn't until the GTO Restoration Guide was in several reprints that Chuck and Paul
included the fact the wires were indeed imprinted with the Packard wording and 2 Q 64 or whatever.

Again going by memory.

As for radiator caps in my immediate world (Turbo Regals) I sell good original radiator caps for $20 as they are very unique for that vintage as they actually say on the top MADE IN ENGLAND. also, they do not have any ears on them. RC-27.

Nobody has reproduced them. This radiator cap would also be correct in your Pontiac world from around 1980-1987 for sure.

Its a beautiful cap being stainless polished and very visible under the hood. I have sold hundreds of them as we also sell them to a Monte Carlo supplier as well.

Yeah, I wish they were worth even $200 each!

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-31-2013, 07:14 PM
Suspended

Default SPECULATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT WHORE View Post
Will not be the runitation of our hobby, it is a large part if the hobby!
The fact that most of those cars did lose their stock parts shortly after being put into service makes those parts more rare hence more valuable.
To each his own. Some want to drive their cars and don't care about numbers others enjoy the chalange of putting together a rare and valuable numbers car that will never get driven.
And of course people benifit from the sale of that cap. Certainly the seller benifited, the buyer is probabily happy as a clam to have it and we all get to talk about it. All parts of the hobby.
LOTS OF SPECULATION ALWAYS ENTERTAINING BUT THERES A FLIP SIDE TO THIS COIN IF ANYONE CAN THINK PAST THEIR OWN AGENDAS:a rgue:

Old 12-31-2013, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

AND WHAT'S THAT HOBI?
Not sure anyone posting in this thread has an agenda, opinions yes.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another perspective, and I have seen this a few times on the 'bay.
Guy has item from his '69 6 cylinder camaro. Sees "heartbeat city" has same item from another 6 cylinder car, lets say a voltage regulator. Heartbeat city puts it for sale as a Genuine COPO or YENKO part, and prices it way out of control. Other guys part, well he has friends bid it up and "sells" it ( not really) for a high price. Using the excuse that a high bidder backs out, offers it as a second chance to a "real" sucker, er Bidder.
Ebay prices, while used, should NOT indicate the true value of anything, its costs the seller avg 20% and the buyer takes NO risk, its not buyer beware on ebay.....

Old 12-31-2013, 09:00 PM
Suspended

Default AGENDA

Quote:
AND WHAT'S THAT HOBI?
Not sure anyone posting in this thread has an agenda, opinions yes.
WELL MAYBE THE GUY WHO SOLD IT FOR $650.00 NOW JUST MAYBE BECAUSE WHAT COULD HOBI POSSIBLY KNOW BUT JUST MAYBE HE BOUGHT IT IN THE HEIGHT OF EVERYTHING FOR $1000.00 AND IS TAKING A LOSS ON IT BUT MOST EVERYONE THINKS HES A BANDIT WELL HOBI SAYS ITS STILL A FREE COUNTRY AND IF YOU DONT LIKE THE PRICE REAL SIMPLE DONT BUY IT AND BETTER YET DONT PUT THE GUY DOWN FOR TRYING TO GET SOME OF HIS MONEY BACK ON A FORUM LIKE THIS SAME AS IF YOU DONT LIKE BILL O,REILLY CHANGE THE CHANNEL SEEMS EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT EVERYTHING PONTIAC ON HERE EVERY STORY OF EVERY CAR EVERY RARE PART SOMEBODY HAS TO CHIME IN AND PUT THEIR SPELL ON IT WELL I LIKE TO LOOK AT BOTH SIDES OF THE COIN BUT WHAT COULD HOBI POSSIBLY KNOW AND WITH THIS ATTITUDE I CAN STILL PLAY THE VICTIM:arg ue:

The Following User Says Thank You to hobi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2013, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

since HOBI likes talking in a third person..maybe one HOBI could tell the other HOBI to try to use some punctuation..i cant understand what yer sayin'....and maybe try lower case..its easier to read...

but that would be too easy..wouldnt it...as far as chimng in..you do it allllll the time...so dont be so mean..it aint pretty

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxjunk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 PM
Suspended

Default HOBI

[QUOTE=marxjunk;5097703]since HOBI likes talking in a third person..maybe one HOBI could tell the other HOBI to try to use some punctuation..i cant understand what yer sayin'....and maybe try lower case..its easier to read...

but that would be too easy..wouldnt it...as far as chimng in..you do it allllll the time...so dont be so mean..it aint pretty[/QUOTE

Well Marxjunk I,ve been banned 8 times from this site, and come to think of it not once for grammar. In the not so distant past I would love to entertain myself and get into a pissing match with you but HOBI promised CCASS that he would behave and I am a man of my word, just so you know I write contracts for my construction company all day long and have written a few briefs, and filed numerous motions in court on my own behalf so i am when I want to be quite capable of as you put it punctuation key words when I want to be I choose to type a certain way because if you must know its faster for me and I am not really concerned whether you can understand what Im writing or not.

I guess Im not much of a people person but the people on here who matter and know me get what HOBI is saying and I DONT chime in on things that are not my business I do however chime in on open topics. So if you must take a shot at HOBI please by all means I don't have to justify myself to you but your welcome for my courtesy and responding back to y our question to punctuation and just too add that's a one shot response on my part, NOW BACK TO BEING HOBI HOWS THAT CCASS I HOPE I MADE YOU PROUD I TOLD YOU I COULD DO IT REGARDS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL THE BEST RESPECTFULLY HOBI

Last edited by hobi; 12-31-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hobo, these are all open topics.
You don't make sence, at all.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well..i understand...where youre coming from..more than ya think

what i'm saying is....if ya have something to say, id like to be able to understand it...i wasnt busting your balls..i'm old...i cant see as good as i could and when it all runs together...i cant understand it...i'm not a rocket sceintist...i'm kinda dislexic.....you have every right to say what ya feel just like every one else..it would be good to understand it..thats all...

i get what youre saying..

The Goat whisperer

Old 12-31-2013, 10:48 PM
Suspended

Default HOBI NOT HOBO

Quote:
Hobo, these are all open topics.
You don't make sence, at all.
ITS HOBI NOT HOBO BUT YOUR PERCEPTION IS YOUR REALITY SO IF IN YOUR WORLD I DONT MAKE SENSE HEY THATS OK TO AS I DONT TRY TO PLEASE ANYONE BUT MYSELF THESE DAYS AS I SAID IN MY LAST POST I WOULD LOVE TO ENTERTAIN MYSELF AND GET INTO A PISSING MATCH WITH YOU OR ANYONE ELSE BUT THOSE DAYS ARE OVER YOU MISSED YOUR CHANCE [NOT BY MUCH THOUGH] AND IF YOU READ ANY OF MY OLD POSTS I DONT GET STUCK FOR WORDS TO OFTEN BUT YOUR WELCOME TO TAKE A SHOT, WELL I GOTTA GET BACK TO SANDING AND POLISHING NOT TO BE RUDE BUT IM DONE WITH THIS THREAD:eek :: o

Closed Thread