Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 12-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Glade View Post
Probably worth 7 minutes or so of your time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AKxXZXTcY4
From looking at that Patton, I'd say the Alclad Chrome is exactly the same as the Alsa Corp Killer Chrome that Charles linked to....But much cheaper in that form as long as you have your own airbrush to apply it.
The kid doing the video hit on a couple of things that I believe pinpoint the mistakes many people have made with the Alsa Corp Killer Chrome. I guarantee you'll have the same problems with the Alclad if you don't follow these clues he mentioned...

• First, the black has to be very smooth and very glossy. The better you get this, the better it'll look in the end. I learned this after my first failed attempt with the Killer Chrome. I decided to spray a bit on the plastic cap to one of the spray cans. It was black and extremely shiny and smooth. To my amazement, it looked like chrome right away. After that, I spent much more time getting the black to look good. The chrome paint is just the icing.

• Secondly, the 'chrome' has to be sprayed very, VERY lightly. You are almost putting on a translucent dusting of silver. In my opinion, it's really the black that gives it the 'chrome look'.

At least, that's been my experience with the Alsacorp stuff.

Next time, I'll definitely try the Alclad from the local hobby shop, since I had already decided that if I bought more of the Killer Chrome from Alsa Corp, I was just going to get the silver.
$10 a bottle at the hobby shop is a heck of a deal when compared to the $50 can from Alsa Corp.
I can do my own black with Krylon Rust Tough. It has a great gloss and that's key to the chrome-like finish..

Here's one I did with the Killer Chrome. Excuse the warped plastic at the top of the bezel. I have a better (and unmolested) core now that I am now going to try the Alclad on.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 12-14-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
From looking at that Patton, I'd say the Alclad Chrome is exactly the same as the Alsa Corp Killer Chrome that Charles linked to....But much cheaper in that form as long as you have your own airbrush to apply it.
The kid doing the video hit on a couple of things that I believe pinpoint the mistakes many people have made with the Alsa Corp Killer Chrome. I guarantee you'll have the same problems with the Alclad if you don't follow these clues he mentioned...

Greg - Please clarify something... people always mention "very light coats. Well....does that mean, based on your experience with WHAT WORKED, that....

>You spray very light coats but MANY of them until you have a completely "chrome" looking surface. In other words, until the underlying black is COMPLETELY HIDDEN????

OR...

>You only spray a few light coats and leave a somewhat transparent finish with the black still "showing through"....ie..black not completely hidden??

Another poster above alluded to these "light coats" as well I believe.

So....two different techniques/end results I am asking about and BOTH use light coats. Difference is in how well hidden the underlying black is. I'm not referring at all to the clear in these questions....just the second stage (the "chrome" paint itself).

Thanks

64-72 GM A-Body Gas Tank Pads
http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...tion-item.html