THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:49 PM

Gary, I'm not so sure it's an H.O. It's got small valve #47 heads. I will have to check the 2 letter stamping.

All I know for sure is the car was RA equipped, but with permanently opened intake.

Stu, I think the scoops I have were just experimental. Pontiac made one set just to try & didnt like it, so they stuck it on a regular 350 coupe, because they didnt want to spoil the looks of a 400....and because the scoops couldnt close, they had to use a RA hood.

I also looked at the body tag today, it was built in Norwood, OH. Can I get more info on the car using the numbers that come after 'NOR' ? I didnt get the vin number of the car, didnt think it was anything special at the time.

72 Pontiac GTO 455 - sold
Old 05-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Checked out the block, its a YE, so just a plain Jane 350.

The 350 emblems fit way too perfect on the hood for someone to take them off a 350 hood and fit them on a scooped hood. I have a set of repro 350 emblems, they dont fit well at all. The holes look factory punched as far as I can tell. There definitely werent any holes for 400 emblems, and the ram air cut out in the bracing adds up to that. The scoop inserts fit way too perfect too, 1000 times better than my repro closed inserts. The inserts appear to be made of mild-steel not pot-metal, but no way they are home made. I mean, I'm pretty good at metal work and I could never ever make them that good.

That car had been rotting away since the 70s, when did they start making repro hoods? If someone bought a new original or NOS hood (very unlikely if youre in South Africa), why would they receive a 'ram air ready' hood? I'm pretty sure those hoods were only available when ordering a new car.

but then, if Pontiac wanted to make a 350 ram air...why use a std 350 and not an HO?

Nothing makes sense.

but really all I want is a straight forward 400ci convertible with closed factory-style inserts. Ram air is cool but to get the missing parts wont be practical for me...and if I do get RA, I want to be able to close them.

...but maybe I'll see what I'll cost to get the Ram air working. Either way, I'm not gonna use that 350, I have a nice 400 with casting number 9799914 which I have big plans for.

72 Pontiac GTO 455 - sold