Old 11-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

GT182, while the '65/'66 may vary, the 2GCs used in '62 have a light plating on them with the slightly rainbow/fishscale looking red/green appearance (Geez, I HOPE that description makes sense!).

Old 11-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for that on the 62s. Actually 2 of the carbs on the setup I sold were grey. The front carb was a gold repo, and to me looked like crap next the the other two.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gary, I have a 1965 Record,(45RPM) that was a promotional give away for the dealers,
it is a Colpix Records 45 featuring a band called the Tigers (what else?) ,.Any way, when you open the cover,there as clear as day,is a photo of a 65 3x2 on an engine. And it is gold -dichromate plating on all the carbs.Not bright like some guys do it,but very subdued. Alot like Eastwoods Carb Renew paint which they claim is resistant to gas. I'll see when I get my stuff up and running. Larry B.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Larry for that also. Maybe with age on the setup I had, the gold -dichromate burned off from the engine heat.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 11-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I hate to ask this but.... aren't Concourse(as in original) 65, maybe 66 too, tripowers grey? No paint or dichromate on them. I just sold a setup that was as original original as you can get and they were grey.... no paint or anything on them. Repos are gold in color which I believe is wrong for Concourse.

But then again I'm probably wrong. "Just when you think you the rules, they change the game on you."
Zinc alloy castings (i.e. tripower airhorns, bowls, choke housing, and venturi clusters) were originally chromated (NOT dichromated).

The chromate solution is a combination of nitric, sulphuric, and chromic acids; mixed to a pH of approximately 5.5. The castings were dipped at room temperature into this solution. The solution chemically etched the metal leaving a residue which is greenish-goldish in color. The color will vary depending on the mix (amount of lead) in the zinc alloy, and how often the operator added to the active ingredient (chromic acid) in the chromate solution.

Di-chromate implies electrical plating, which was not used on the zinc alloy.

The first time these castings were placed in carburetor cleaner for more than maybe 15 minutes, the protective greenish goldish finish was destroyed, and the castings turn grey in color.

The aftermarket paint being sold today isn't even close!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info Jon. I'll remember this,good to know. Larry B.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've posted a picture of a NOS '64 Pontiac Tripower carb setting next to one that was colored last week. As you can see, the NOS carb choke housing is slightly lighter in color than the rest of the carb. Otherwise, as you can judge for yourself, the color of the restored carb next to it is very close to the NOS one. GM colored the carbs in individual pieces but not all at the same time like do now when restoring them, so they usually look like the NOS center and end carbs I have.

Also attached is a picture of a '65 Tripower restoration completed last week. I always give the guy who colors my carbs a NOS carb as a sample so the coloring is as correct as possible.

I agree with Jon. The Eastwood paint is not really close to the original carb coloring. It takes just as much effort to clean the carbs for painting as it does to prepare them for chemical coloring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 Tripower Center Carb 007.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	224402   Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 Tripower Center Carb 008.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	224403   Click image for larger version

Name:	875.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	224404  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 11-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote: "The protective effect of chromate coatings on zinc is indicated by color, progressing from clear/blue to yellow, gold, olive drab and black. Darker coatings generally provide more corrosion resistance.[10]"

From this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromat...ersion_coating

I totally agree with Jon on this one.

Most of my carbs after a new finish is put on them is darker (between gold and drab green).
I leave the carbs in the solution a bit longer as the thickness of the protective coating increases over time spent in the tank.

"Chromating is commonly performed on zinc-plated parts to make them more durable. The chromate coating acts like a paint, protecting the zinc from white corrosion, this can make the part several times more durable depending on chromate layer thickness."

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Jon and Dick. Like Larry says, this is good to know.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 11-16-2010, 10:45 PM

Default Tri power carbs

Just got my carbs back from Mike Wasson the other day. Can not say enough about the quality and great looks. He also helped me out with other parts and peices I needed to convert from a four barrel set up. Great guy. Would highly recommend him for any restoration job.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Senior Chief

Default Just got my carbs back from Mike Wasson

DITTO...Mike Wasson IS Da' man !!! He did a concourse resto on my 85' Trips setup...

Dave Larkins
dlarkins@comcast.net
610-842-7905

389 .030 400ci Tri Power, .068 cam, HO manifolds, M-20 4 SPD, '70 12 Bolt 3:36 Chevrolet posi-traction, Montero Red, Parchment gut, VINTAGE AIR, PFDB, Bilsteins, F&R HD Sways, Hotchkis rear bags, Firestone Indy 500 shoes

"What's the point of owning a muscle car if you can't scare yourself stupid from time to time ?"
Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarkins View Post
He did a concourse resto on my 85' Trips setup...
EIGHTY-five?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Survivor Carbs

Most all carbs have lost their original finish due to decades of use and rebuilds so it's understandable collectors strive for the original look when rebuilding their carbs but the "Gold Paint" option advertised as giving an OEM look is terrible! I'm sure ones budget may dictate what finish is applied, but as a couple gentlemen above mention, it's not even close and stands out a mile away. Below is a pic of an NOS Rochester 2bbl that's been on auction over and over that shows good color, and my 66 survivor carbs still show much of the factory greenish/gold finish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3x2 Carb.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	224976   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 GTO YR Tri-Power.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	224977  

Old 11-23-2010, 03:12 AM

Default Tripower carb coloring

Take a look at this set if carbs. I have never attached a picture to a post, so hopefully, it will come out. These are done with Eastwood. When carbs are prepared correctly and finish is applied correctly, it is very close to factory finish.

Many times, at shows, people come up and admire the carbs and ask who does my plating. The rods and levers are zinc plated...but carbs are colored with Eastwood.

I agree that plating can be a better choice. I offer it as an option, but, it is getting very costly and fewer shops are doing the Chromate Dip due to EPA regulations.

Mike Wasson
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0813.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	225566