The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 PM

Default Replaing Convertible Top - Any Hints or Tricks?

I need your help !!! I'm taking the plunge and attempting to replace the convertible top on my 1970 Bonneville. I did purchase the top from Performance. It was mfg by Electron Top. Everyone in our local Pontiac club in Raleigh, NC (Tarheel Tigers) gave me "the bad look" when I told them I wanted to do it myself.
I've searched the forum and websites for hints and suggestions, found a few but nothing too exciting.
Let me know what you've experienced - good and bad. Any hints/ suggestions to help would be appreciated. Don't suggest to take it to a shop, I've already heard it. I'm making a photo/video journal of my experience to share with others. Thanks for the help. Ross

Old 08-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Chief

I redid all of the interior of my 71 LeMans but when it came time for the convert top I said NO WAY!
I did some quick reading in various books that outlined the procedure and for me it was out of my league.

Unless you find a person in a shop that wants to make some side money and assist you....I would leave that to a pro.

"A Man's got to know his limitations!"
Clint Eastwood

Old 08-03-2010, 10:12 AM

Ross, wish I could help but that's not in my bag of tricks. Good luck! Let us know how it comes out.

Why do I have the feeling there will be a new entry in the resto blunder sticky? I could be wrong.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlemac View Post
I need your help !!! I'm taking the plunge and attempting to replace the convertible top on my 1970 Bonneville. I did purchase the top from Performance. It was mfg by Electron Top. Everyone in our local Pontiac club in Raleigh, NC (Tarheel Tigers) gave me "the bad look" when I told them I wanted to do it myself.
I've searched the forum and websites for hints and suggestions, found a few but nothing too exciting.
Let me know what you've experienced - good and bad. Any hints/ suggestions to help would be appreciated. Don't suggest to take it to a shop, I've already heard it. I'm making a photo/video journal of my experience to share with others. Thanks for the help. Ross
Buy two tops. When you screw up on the first one you'll have a back up. Why not leave it to the pros that do them every day? IMO, you'll wind up spending more in the long run doing it yourself. I understand the appeal of saying you did it yourself but some things are better left to those that have countless hours experience.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 AM

I concur leave it to the Pro's.

It will be cheaper in the long run IMO.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 AM

Wow thanks for the great suggestions, you guys have really shared some great advice
I can't wait to hear your advice when I rebuild my engine...

Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm quite sure that some the guys in our "antique" car club have replaced their own. I've never done it but I would contact someone in your area with pre-war cars and find out who the "guru" is in their club.
Someone already gave you the other suggestion. Find someone who will moonlight and help you.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlemac View Post
Wow thanks for the great suggestions, you guys have really shared some great advice
I can't wait to hear your advice when I rebuild my engine...
That's comparing apples to oranges.

Good luck on installing the top. Keep us updated on the progress. I hope it works out for you.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 08-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Senior Chief

If you have the tools and mechanical knowhow to do it,have at it.I am friends with several restorers and bodyshops that do everything on the cars,even stretch the vinyl tops.But when it comes to a convertible top,they won't touch one.If you do,log your progress and see if they will make it a "sticky".....JB.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
"A Man's got to know his limitations!"
Clint Eastwood
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure."
Bill Cosby

Old 08-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

" If you fail its going to cost you double" Bob Dillon

Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I put a top on a '68 GTO 34 years ago, and vowed never to try it again. One thing that I learned though, was that if there are pre-punched bolt holes in the new top and window, they are probably in the wrong place.
A few years later I put a top on my '67 LeMans, after which I renewed my broken vow.
What I learned from this is to be VERY careful when moving the top up and down to check things during the installation, because rough edges exposed by the weatherstrip pieces not being in place shredded my brand new top. And also that if you do not have the properly fitting original top as a guide, all hope is lost. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
" If you fail its going to cost you double" Bob Dillon
This is fun but who's Bob Dillion ??
He must be a new artist trying to steal the spotlight from the famous Bob Dylan......

This is fun, two quotes from actors, one from a songwriter/musician.
Here's one to change direction and keep it optomistic (all because of a convertible top...l..l.)

Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.
Mahatma Gandhi

Old 08-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Senior Chief

" OH SH!T" After an experienced restorer screwed up a customer's car trying to do his first convertible top.....JB.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

" Failure is not an option" General George Custer

Old 08-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Senior Chief

"The reason some folks will beat their head against a wall is because it feels go good when they quit"

Old 08-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I actually hope this job goes easy for you. Two experienced upholstery guys that knew what they were doing did my top in 6 hours.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not that big of a deal. You can do it. I put mine on and it turned out fine. Main thing is getting it on straight which requires measure twice staple once. There are plenty of magazine articles on it and all tops all work about the same. Glass windows are easier and black tops don't require gloves to handle like a white top. So if its a glass window in the back and a black top its like pitching a tent. I did my own because I didn't want some "Pro" putting the top on over a rusty frame, so i reworked the frame also. Plenty of posts on 1968-69 forum.
All the tops work basically the same,so get the articles.
Monel or stainless steel staples are required at your local home depot store as to not leave rust marks as I have seen some pros do with the cheap steel staples. You will also replace the pads on the sides and the cable which pulls the top taught. Also you only have about an 1/8 inch leeway on the sides so it has to be centered up carefully which you check before you fully staple it down. The back window goes in on a panel by itself and if its a glass window its a lot easier. Plastics windows come rolled up and must be sat in the sun to stretch them out and straighten them. The main top starts at the back and is pulled forward. You even use the top motor to stretch it the final distance.

If you read plenty of articles you will get the jest of it.

Like anything else the first one is the hardest and then the second time is easier.
If you can pitch a tent you can put a top on.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Suspended

Make sure the material is long enough to empty into the drip rail behind the rear seat. I saved money by having a new shop do my daily drive in the 90s and I ended up with rusted floors where no rust had been before. Wasn't worth the couple hundred I saved.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Even I did one and it came out alright...this was 15 years ago and before I knew anything about the internet and forums. I think it took me about a week though...lol
I bought mine from Hydro-E-Lectric and along with the top, they sent a magazine article from Hot Rod and the relevent pages from the GM shop manual. The GM pages were like reading Chinese. The HR article was enough to get me through it..