WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 02-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Jones:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
I'd rather have the better car than the most popular one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And in your opinion, you have that. Good deal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my opinion also.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rabon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by red70goat:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rabon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by red70goat:

That's not my point and the " " was not directed at your observation of it looking / feeling like a Monaro but rather if that was GMs intention then they sorely missed the mark. Most people in the states never heard of a Monaro until 2004 let alone even care what one was. People were expecting and wanting a modern day version GTO not a retro import from Australia. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Mustang enthusiasts got the retro that they expected and wanted while GTO enthusiasts got the better car. So, who really got the better deal? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ford. They _listened_ to their consumer base and delivered...and a convertible to boot! No argument that the 2004/2005 GTO is a better car though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that mean it's ( the Stang ) not a good car? The chassis is new. Is the GM Monaros? From what I understand it is the same chassis that has been used for the past 17 years designed with Australias rough roads in mind. What about the finish? To date there have been no complaints of orange peel and sheep hair in the finish on the Stang. Can that be said about the GM Monaro? Is the LS-1 engine better? No doubt about that. So is the 2004 GM Monaro a better performer? With the LS1 it is. Is it a better overall car? Perhaps, but not what I wnated in a GTO. It's not about price or popularity, it's about getting what you want. The C5 Vette in my opinion is Americas' premier sports car. There are other sports cars that are "better". I test drove an Acura NSX prior to buying the C5. The NSX was clearly a better engineered car, but it is not what I wanted. The GTO in my opinion was Americas premier MuscleCar. GM needs to honor that heritage by producing a GTO void of present day generics.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would much rather have the GTO, with it's "bland" looks, than a Rustang. For a variety of reasons.

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 02-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Senior Chief

'<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by red70goat:

Does that mean it's ( the Stang ) not a good car? The chassis is new. Is the GM Monaros? From what I understand it is the same chassis that has been used for the past 17 years designed with Australias rough roads in mind. What about the finish? To date there have been no complaints of orange peel and sheep hair in the finish on the Stang. Can that be said about the GM Monaro? Is the LS-1 engine better? No doubt about that. So is the 2004 GM Monaro a better performer? With the LS1 it is. Is it a better overall car? Perhaps, but not what I wnated in a GTO. It's not about price or popularity, it's about getting what you want. The C5 Vette in my opinion is Americas' premier sports car. There are other sports cars that are "better". I test drove an Acura NSX prior to buying the C5. The NSX was clearly a better engineered car, but it is not what I wanted. The GTO in my opinion was Americas premier MuscleCar. GM needs to honor that heritage by producing a GTO void of present day generics. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 'stang MIGHT be a good car, though I've ridden in old S-10s that are more comfortable. The 'stang might be a good car, though it's also offered in V6 format making it too "generic" for my tastes. The 'stang might be a good car, though the performance of its V8 is weak and there are problems with the heads. The 'stang might be a good car but, as I said, I don't want a good car: I want the BETTER car.

You continue to come up with excuse after excuse for bashing the '04. We have showed you the car is not generic. There is NO MAJOR body part on this car that is shared by any other car in the world except the Monaro. I have seen the car stripped and can tell you it is VERY well engineered. The engine is GM's top of the line. There are retro cues (intentional or not) as have been shown in this thread. The car performs better, handles better and is more comfortable than any comparably priced car (and even matches some cars twice its price).

All you do is wind up finding some way to bash the new GTO. The car is well worthy of the name. I ask you again, go to the '70 forum, post those pictures of your GTO for which someone asked you a long time ago and leave us '04 owners alone.

Its time for you to find something else to amuse yourself.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does that mean it's ( the Stang ) not a good car? The chassis is new. Is the GM Monaros? From what I understand it is the same chassis that has been used for the past 17 years designed with Australias rough roads in mind. What about the finish? To date there have been no complaints of orange peel and sheep hair in the finish on the Stang. Can that be said about the GM Monaro? Is the LS-1 engine better? No doubt about that. So is the 2004 GM Monaro a better performer? With the LS1 it is. Is it a better overall car? Perhaps, but not what I wnated in a GTO. It's not about price or popularity, it's about getting what you want. The C5 Vette in my opinion is Americas' premier sports car. There are other sports cars that are "better". I test drove an Acura NSX prior to buying the C5. The NSX was clearly a better engineered car, but it is not what I wanted. The GTO in my opinion was Americas premier MuscleCar. GM needs to honor that heritage by producing a GTO void of present day generics. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does "new" necessarily mean "better"? A brand new chassis that performs only marginally better than a 17 year old one? Apparently that is a pretty good chassis. What about the 11 year old ford engine?

Stang owners have had other problems and just haven't gotten around to the finish just yet. The GTO is a better car......
Old 02-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pont3:

Does "new" necessarily mean "better"? A brand new chassis that performs only marginally better than a 17 year old one? Apparently that is a pretty good chassis. What about the 11 year old ford engine?

Stang owners have had other problems and just haven't gotten around to the finish just yet. The GTO is a better car...... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he was saying the new 'stang chassis performs better than the Monaro chassis, then show me how. Also, although I didn't say so in my previous posting, the chassis on the 2002+ Monaro is not a 17 year old design.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:36 PM

side by side 70 /04....ummmmmmm :...it's a stretch but _maybe_ there's a viable comparison there... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What if you had the '05 scooped hood and the autocross recessed grills on that '04 - I think that would give it some retro look
Old 02-06-2005, 02:42 PM

Personally, I like the fact that I can't lease my car - an '04 GTO, from the local Hertz, Enterprise or Avis rental locations - A mustang owner can't say that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pont3:

Stang owners have had other problems and just haven't gotten around to the finish just yet. The GTO is a better car...... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he was saying the new 'stang chassis performs better than the Monaro chassis, then show me how. Also, although I didn't say so in my previous posting, the chassis on the 2002+ Monaro is not a 17 year old design. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoeyD:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by red70goat:
side by side 70 /04....ummmmmmm :...it's a stretch but _maybe_ there's a viable comparison there... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"the autocross"....
&gt;&gt;&gt; aka rice. It looks better in stock form sans spoiler.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoeyD:

"the autocross"....
&gt;&gt;&gt; aka rice. It looks better in stock form sans spoiler. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For someone who claims not to call the '04 GTO rice (and I'm not just talking about the autocross) you sure do seem to have it in your comments alot. The monitors on this forum must be asleep. If I were to go on any of the vintage GTO forums and continually bash those guys for owning their cars I would be blocked in less than 30 messages.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"the autocross"....
&gt;&gt;&gt; aka rice. It looks better in stock form sans spoiler. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He referred to the autocross grills, which look a LOT like a '72 GTO's grills, which I don't believe anybody could consider "rice", any more than a '70 Judge wing.

The rest of the autocross package, now that's a different story!

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 02-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tripower455:
[QUOTE]"the autocross"....

"He referred to the autocross grills, which look a LOT like a '72 GTO's grills, which I don't believe anybody could consider "rice",..."

&gt;&gt;&gt; True. My reference was as the the higher spoiler and extended front facia common on most ricers.

"any more than a '70 Judge wing."
&gt;&gt;&gt; In 1970 there were few cars sporting a "wing", unlike now where every 4 door Honda, Subaru, Mazda and Toyota in any HS parking lot has one.

"The rest of the autocross package, now that's a different story!"

&gt;&gt;&gt; GM can deny it all they want but the autocross is an attempt to appeal to the tuner crowd. Wrong market. Wrong look. Again. They should pay attention to the growing # of 2004 / 2005 owners removing the spoiler and being quite pleased with the cleaner looks. In "grown up" colors ( Silver, Black, Metallic Grey ) it's a decent looking ride.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

"the autocross"....

For someone who claims not to call the '04 GTO rice (and I'm not just talking about the autocross) you sure do seem to have it in your comments alot. The monitors on this forum must be asleep. If I were to go on any of the vintage GTO forums and continually bash those guys for owning their cars I would be blocked in less than 30 messages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My reference to the GTO being rice in some aspects was not a criticism of the owners in that many of them have some fine vintage GTOs in their stable as well. Therefor in my opinion, that lends a lot of credibility to the 04 / 05 owners who are happy with their purchase. My criticism was aimed more at GM producing a car catering to the ricer crowd via exterior styling similarities and then slapping the GTO name on it. When it didn't sell Lutz tried to convince us it was "really" meant for the 100k + earner.( Forbes) Yeah, right Bob.