THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2017, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
The correct way to repair this car, is to use the firewall with all tags attached, and weld it to a good shell. Also, use as many parts that can be salvaged. Hopefully, the frame isn't shot.

This is a true shame, for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
So? What constitutes a restored 64 GTO? If the car needed a firewall replaced with one from a Lemans and the VIN tag from the GTO was swapped to the replacement firewall, is the "restored" car a real GTO?

If replacement fenders from a Lemans were used, would the car be a real GTO?
Replacement quarter panel? real GTO?
Replacement door? real GTO?
Replacement back half? real GTO?
Replacement left frame rail? real GTO?
Replacement rear deck gutter along top right side? real GTO?
Replacement bumper? real GTO?
Replacement body? real GTO?

Where does it end?

To me, if I own the "parts car" Lemans AND the GTO and have titles to both, if I cut the VIN tag section of the GTO firewall out and put it in the Lemans firewall, cut out a section of the GTO left frame rail and put it in the Lemans frame, cut out all other identifiers (drivetrain, etc) of the GTO and insert them in the Lemans, then I say that the Lemans then becomes the GTO.

I don't know where all of those "secret" identification numbers are on GTO's or Lemans or Tempests are. But after all, the GTO "package" was an option of the Lemans model in 64.

Interesting points.

If you moved the firewall and drivetrain to a donor car, is that considered illegal?

If so, then I guess you keep the firewall in place but replace EVERYTHING else. I mean, you can replace the frame and the car is still the car, VIN and drivetrain and all, right?

All of this assumes you are upfront and not being deceitful about it.

469, M21, 3.42