THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mold Bombs will take care of the mold.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-03-2018, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Mold Bombs will take care of the mold.
It’s all being professionally repaired and remediated. 7000 out of escrow at the previous owners expense.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-03-2018, 03:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice place, welcome to the Hoosier!

Old 04-03-2018, 03:20 PM

Wow, very nice gear head spread!
How long will it take to mow the grass?...yikes!

Old 04-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6speedpaul View Post
Wow, very nice gear head spread!
How long will it take to mow the grass?...yikes!
Its not as bad as it looks, most of the 22 acres in the back are partially wooded and left tall grass to entice wild life to hang around.

So there are maybe 4-6 acres that actually get mowed. Its not small but really shouldnt be too bad.

My dad is an old tractor guy, I might buy one of his old Farmalls from him and attach a belly mower with a big deck. Then use a normal garden tractor for tighter stuff. IDK. I havent had to mow a yard since I was a kid, I will play it by ear.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You'll want a zero turn before it's all said and done just for the time factor. I used to mow 2 acres on a 54 inch riding mower in 2 hours. Now i mow 6 acres on a 60 inch zero turn in 2 hours. They're pricey, but how much is your time worth to you? I don't mind mowing my lawn, but i don't want to spend the entire day doing it either.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

^ x2

My wife and mow 4 acres with a 61” Simplicity Cobalt (same as a Ferris IS2100z) zero turn and a 60” Kubota 18” hp diesel. I take about an hour and 45 between the two of us.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
^ x2

My wife and mow 4 acres with a 61” Simplicity Cobalt (same as a Ferris IS2100z) zero turn and a 60” Kubota 18” hp diesel. I take about an hour and 45 between the two of us.
Does the zero turn really mean that much for time? Or is it just the deck size. My dad has a John Deere garden tractor with a 60” deck I was thinking of buying from him.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IDK... just stop mowing so much land, and let it reclaim back to the wild to match the wooded part of the property. Save time and money, spend it on cars.

Yeah... not so much a fan of high effort landscaping.

Nice place! I'd live there.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Simplicity I have on flat surface will go 10mph and turning is so much quicker coupled with the deck size equals faster mowing.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

^+2. It' fast enough to need to wear goggles to keep the bugs out of my eyes! Definitely a combination of the two speed and size. I'm certain that if i were using my rider it would take about 7 hours. I have the Ferris 2100z with a 61 inch deck and the 25 hp Kawasaki. I highly reccomend the Ferris if you're willing to spend that kind of money. The suspension is worth it's weight in gold.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Does the zero turn really mean that much for time? Or is it just the deck size. My dad has a John Deere garden tractor with a 60” deck I was thinking of buying from him.
Zero turn the only way to go. I mowed my couple of acres with a Kubota Tractor with a 60" deck for years. Took hours. The mowing service I have now mows it in 20 min with a zero turn.

You made a good choice on your town. We live 30-40 minutes from a decent sized grocery, Home improvement store. nice restaurants . . . on the other hand, we're in the country, know all our rural neighbors.

The new I 69 corridor has made travel N and S in Southern Indiana much faster.
(soon to be completed in your area)

Old 04-05-2018, 02:07 PM
Senior Chief

"The new I 69 corridor has made travel N and S in Southern Indiana much faster.
(soon to be completed in your area) "

Yup, we zip up and down 69 quite a bit. Mostly to the Washington/ Mitchell area.

Be nice when it gets done.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I69 does seem like a blessing save for in Bloomington where it’s incomplete and causing traffic.

I’ll see what I can find on CL for a zero turn. I can’t justify going and spending 4,5,6000 on a mower new. For that cost I could probably just have my yard cut by a service for half a decade and not have to sweat and get dirty.

The dude I’m buying the house from tried to sell me his kubota like mini tractor. Bigger than a lawn mower smaller than a full size. He paid 21000 for it...... I don’t care how useful it is I just don’t think you ever get your investment back out of that

At a glance it seems you can find them in useable condition for $1000 plus or minus a bit though. That’s more do able.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Buy a commercial grade vs a department store grade. Yards aren't anywhere near smooth, and are pretty hard on a mower going that fast. A welded fabricated deck is a must.The Toro Z series, Exmark, Kubota, Ferris, Scag, Etc is what you want to be looking at. If you buy that cheaper department store grade, you'll be buying parts and in a year or two another mower. Definitely stay away from the homeowner grade. Just to give you an idea, my mower weighs 1400 lbs. Other companys like Cub Cadet also make ones the same size that weigh about 700.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

MOWER

go drive one.....john deer have demos you can drive...you will never own a mowing tractor again..when i was in Corydon, i had a deer lawn tractor...took most of the day to mow..and i had nice flat property...it killed most of every saturday...and it didnt take long to figure out, it didnt work for me...

i tried the lawn service thing..gets expensive...and they are pretty unreliable because i wasnt in the city...

i went to the deer dealer they showed me how to run one, and let me run it on a practice plot they had...no way would i ever buy another lawn tractor no way...i didnt buy a new deer..just crazy prices..

dixie choppers have a 30mp top speed i believe..(too lazy to google)...

biggest deck you can afford...dont cheap out on that..biggest one you can get...they need belt maintenance...they need to be cleaned often too..but...they are the way to go with a large plot

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 04-06-2018, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

SOCIAL LIFE..
i didnt really care about a social life when i moved over there...i moved from St Louis, and knew no one...and didnt care much...Im a loner...always have been..i dont need anyone to keep me company.. when I want it, i go see someone..

Took about 2 years to get friends, and that was OK..i was so busy with starting over and work..it was nice to have some solitude...I got a dog immediately and was the best thing i ever did over there.... then got another...and was more than fine....

I dont know where you are with religion...but if you arent opposed to organized religion..its a good social gathering..theres plenty of churches up there...I went to fairs, and pic nicks, and for me every car show i could find, every swap meet...and it didnt take long to fit in and find a few friends...ive been gone 10 years, and the true friends i had still communicate with me, i miss them..

i was in Ohio for more car stuff than Indiana...but I travel for work..so i dont mind driving somewhere to have some fun..its just me..I went to everything that happened in Beach Bend too...all the hot rod reunions, vintage drags, buick nationals etc...some good times there for me..with social media now...there no reason you cant find something to do almost every weekend if you want...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 04-06-2018, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
SOCIAL LIFE..
i didnt really care about a social life when i moved over there...i moved from St Louis, and knew no one...and didnt care much...Im a loner...always have been..i dont need anyone to keep me company.. when I want it, i go see someone..

Took about 2 years to get friends, and that was OK..i was so busy with starting over and work..it was nice to have some solitude...I got a dog immediately and was the best thing i ever did over there.... then got another...and was more than fine....

I dont know where you are with religion...but if you arent opposed to organized religion..its a good social gathering..theres plenty of churches up there...I went to fairs, and pic nicks, and for me every car show i could find, every swap meet...and it didnt take long to fit in and find a few friends...ive been gone 10 years, and the true friends i had still communicate with me, i miss them..

i was in Ohio for more car stuff than Indiana...but I travel for work..so i dont mind driving somewhere to have some fun..its just me..I went to everything that happened in Beach Bend too...all the hot rod reunions, vintage drags, buick nationals etc...some good times there for me..with social media now...there no reason you cant find something to do almost every weekend if you want...

You know I had the thought that church was probably a good place to meet people, but no I’m not religious in the slightest. So that’s out.

I do need to get more active in local social media. I’m sure there are local groups for car stuff. I don’t know what or where Beach bend is. I’ll have to look that up.

I’m a loner too but there is a point where it gets unhealthy. I’m not married or anything so going from work to an empty house every day gets old. Tinder to the rescue I guess.

Once spring hits in full and I can partake in both my normal hobbies, golf and hot rodding I’m hoping it makes it easier.

On the mower side I’m taking it your saying go test drive a zero turn?

Old 04-06-2018, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know.... where you live you may need to switch from Tinder to Farmersonly.com

Old 04-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
I don't know.... where you live you may need to switch from Tinder to Farmersonly.com
Lol I know. I feel like I may end up being the farmers only version of a catfish when I show up tattooed in an Iron Maiden shirt