THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My dog got skunked.

Taking the trash to the curb tonight, my lovable, but very curious 2 yo lab/beagal mix, Rudy (the one in my profile pic) decided to check out the black thing with white stripes in the other corner of the yard, and promptly caught it's spray full in the face.

We promptly gave him a bath using a mix of baking soda, Dawn, and hydrogen peroxide.

Dog smells better, but I'm not sure there is enough Lysol and Febreeze for the house. Candles and fans are going.

Any other tips or suggestions?

Last edited by 69goatboy; 01-26-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:09 PM

Hydrogen peroxide. Don't get it in the dog's eyes.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dog house.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tomato juice!!!

POCI.org
Old 01-26-2016, 11:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
Tomato juice!!!

^^^this. Sounds goofy but I've done it before and it works. Keep it away from eyes as it's mildly acidic.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've always heard the tomato juice thing was a hoax.
Our concoction recipe we got from a family friend who hunts a lot. It seems to have worked on him.

But just the trip from the garage to the bathtub was enough to stink up the house.

Last edited by 69goatboy; 01-27-2016 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My favorite dog was a part pit bull, we called Roscoe P. Gravytrain. He was not scared of anything. Any critters he caught, including skunks, he killed and brought 'em home, and left 'em in our front yard.

TJ said she thinks only about 3 of those critters were skunks. Seems like more to me. Anyhow, all our dogs were yard dogs. So we never tried to get the smell off. It eventually wore off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roscoe P Gravytrain.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	419281  

Old 01-27-2016, 12:57 AM

Tomato juice works pretty good.
I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback that took on a Shunk years ago.
We gave him a bath in our tub with Tomato juice......but we still would not let him in the house for a week afterwards. No matter what you use....that odor will linger for a week or two.

Bill

Old 01-27-2016, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

WE got some soap from the vet. I think the tomato juice worked as good. My son's dog also got sprayed IN THE HOUSE. His back door had a doggie door and the skunk wandered in and into the bedroom where my son, his wife and the dog were sleeping. The dog awoke and started chasing the skunk around the inside of the house. It might have been easier to burn down the house than getting rid of the smell.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
Tomato juice!!!
Dittos....LOTS of tomato juice.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-27-2016, 08:18 AM
Senior Chief

GoJo hand cleaner.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had an Alaskan Malamute that was about 110 lbs. She had a LOT of hair. She got skunked really badly. Rather than run after getting sprayed, she killed the skunk.

We used a LOT of tomato juice, which helped but didn't quite do the trick. Somebody also told me to use GoJo, which I did. It caused skin irritation, and she ended up pulling her hair out from scratching. The GoJo seemed to help quite a bit, but beware of skin irritation.

When we took her to the vet for the skin irritation problem, the vet gave hera bath in some type of special solution that also helped a lot. There was residual odor for quite some time.

I think the tomato juice, gojo, and vet bath took care of about 80 - 90% of the odor. The rest just had to wear off over time. Six months or more after the incident, I still had people ask me what the smell was when in my basement.

Mike

Old 01-27-2016, 11:02 AM

learned the hard way the first time our dogs got skunked , DO NOT let them in the house under any circumstances !!! just makes it a LOT worse inside the house. tomato juice didnt do squat for us. the dawn peroxide baking soda mix works, but not totally , they sell skunk odor remover that works , but not totally. even after multiple baths with these concotions my dogs still had some skunk odor when they got wet 6 to 8 months later. its a curse keep some stuff ON HAND just in case it happens again.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I feel for ya..........

I feel for ya...... me and my then big Husky got it about a few years back here. Had him on a leash and he pulled me right up to the thing, got us both from 4 feet away. It was Sunday so nowhere to buy pet store skunk stuff.... so yes, tomato juice..... had him slathered up with two gallons of the slimey red stuff. He then could slither out of his collar. Bham off he ran top speed down the street.... dripping red, covered in red..... 100 pounds of hell dog... looked like something out of a horror movie..... I ran after.... red too.... rounded the corner..... there he was at neighbors house on top of their German Shepard.... had it pinned submission.... horrified neighbor couple were on porch with fido enjoying day.... till hell dog shows up dripping what looked like blood.... then me.... dripping too from the elbows down.... would have been a great youtube deal..... I did apologize while pulling dog off. I was so flustered after that I went in my house with skunk clothes on (DUMB, you get naked first) and trashed the house..... same deal as you.... fans... all windows open in cold fall... I do feel for ya..........

Old 01-27-2016, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've heard that Massengil douche is supposed to work very well for skunk smell.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
the dawn peroxide baking soda mix works, but not totally...keep some stuff ON HAND just in case it happens again.
Same experience here, it took @95% of the odor away, but for weeks, perhaps a month or two later there was still a very faint skunk smell on him. When it happened, we kept him outside and mixed the solution right away, grabbed the garden hose and went to work on him. Only took a few minutes to do it, then dried him off. Definitely keep extra peroxide (large) bottles around and marked so family doesn't use and leave you high and dry when you need for emergency.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think our concoction worked well (luckily he's a short haired dog) but it seems to have gotten in his nostrils and his mouth.

I guess time, and maybe a lot of denta-sticks will take care of that.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I've heard that Massengil douche is supposed to work very well for skunk smell.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From http://puppies.about.com/od/OwnerPup...d-By-Skunk.htm

3 Home Remedies for Skunk Stink

• Tomato Juice. A tried and true home remedy is a tomato juice soak. Wash your puppy first with pet shampoo and towel him dry. Then douse him with the juice and let it soak for ten or fifteen minutes. Rinse him off and suds again with the regular shampoo. Alternate the tomato juice soak with the shampoo bath until he's less pungent. Be warned, though, that white and light colored pets may turn temporarily pink from this treatment.

• Massengill Douche. Professional groomers often recommend Massengill brand douche to get rid of skunk odor. Mix two ounces of Massengill to a gallon of water for small dogs—double the recipe for bigger pups—and pour over the washed pet. Let the solution soak for at least fifteen minutes. Then rinse with plain water, and bathe with normal shampoo once more.

• Chemistry Cure. You can also use chemistry to neutralize the thiols. Mix one quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide with ¼ cup of baking soda, and one teaspoon of pet shampoo (any kind will work). Apply to the pet’s wet fur, allow the mix to bubble for three or four minutes, then rinse thoroughly. This recipe, created by chemist Paul Krebaum, works better than anything on the market. You can’t buy it, though, because the formula can’t be bottled. It explodes if left in a closed container. So if your pet is skunked, mix only one application at a time. Otherwise you’ll be cleaning up more than just the pet. Refer to this terrific step-by-step for more details.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Neighbors dog got it good and he had sort of the same results as posted above as far as lingering odor. best thing I could do was trap the skunk. Took a week and a half but got it and dispatched it without getting sprayed. See if your ASPCA/ pound will let you borrow a cat trap and bait it for the skunk to avoid this happening again. Just tell them it's for a feral cat and they will usually let you borrow one. Hope it clears out soon, that smell will knock a possum off a gut truck.