Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-16-2024, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default A body accelerator pedals

Cobbling something together…

Specifically 69-72 A bodies, 4bbl, thm400.

Appears the cable changed in 71 from a 2 screw to the firewall/pin and clip pedal to a “snap” into the firewall with a captured nubbie in the pedal.

The pedal mount to firewall appears to be the same across all 4 years so my question is….are the kickdown brackets the same across all 4 years as well as the pedal geometry? Can I put a 71/72 pedal in place of the factory 69 one, along with correct cable, and go to town?

Will be using a 72 intake along with its correct accelerator cable bracket in my 69.

Thx

Old 04-16-2024, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t know the details of that part of the set up, I do know that in terms of the pedal itself auto trans cars had the chrome trim around the pedal, mt cars did not,

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're talking about a kickdown cable to trans, 72 didn't use that. It uses the electronic switch under the gas pedal. That kickdown switch has a wire to trans.

Old 05-22-2024, 05:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The usage or not of a kick down cable has nothing to do with year but everything to to do with the trans.
If the car had a TB400 trans there was no cable, but a kick down switch on the top of the gas pedal.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 05-22-2024, 11:41 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
I don’t know the details of that part of the set up, I do know that in terms of the pedal itself auto trans cars had the chrome trim around the pedal, mt cars did not,
Not true!!! GTO 4spd cars had the chrome trim around the gas pedal in 1969!!! Check Franks Pontiac Parts and you will see this. My original 1969 has the chrome trim. May be a different story with models other than the GTO.

Old 05-22-2024, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car has the THM400….the bracket at the pedal mount is what I’m referring to, in addition to the other Qs in the OP.

While at Carlisle last month I grabbed two pedals, one I’m pretty sure is not an A body, square-ish pad, as opposed to the elongated trapezoid like deal.

Still haven’t monkeyed around with them inside the car, both probably aren’t correct/will work, so they may end up in the for sale section lol.

Old 05-22-2024, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess the question is; was the gas pedal part of the Trim Plate option?

Trim Plates were normally associated with the Decor Group or as a stand alone option.
68-72 MT / AT models with the Decor group had the Trim Plates included.

Elements (Trim Plates and moldings) of the Decor Group were standard with GTO and depending on year, other models from 1968-71.

All elements of the Decor Group (Y80) became optional for the GTO and LeMans in 72, but the Decor Group was standard on the Luxury Lemans.
Trim Plates were also a stand alone option in 72 (J21).

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express
2024 Cadillac LYRIQ

Old 05-22-2024, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know about Pontiac-specific gas pedal/kickdown switches.

There are at least two designs of '68--'72 A-body kickdown switches, and the matching gas pedal/mounting. I have the "wrong" switch and pedal in my El Camino.

Kinda thinking '68--'69 used one style of switch/pedal, and '70-up used a different arrangement with a more-common switch; and pedal to match. My '68 'Camino has the newer-style.
Incorrect-for-my-'68 newer-style:

Old style kickdown switch:

Keep in mind that the kickdown switches--at least the newer style--are self-adjusting AFTER you re-set the initial position of the switch. Guys go whacko putting rubber hose on the switch trying to get it to engage earlier--something less than WFO. That is improper. Re-set the switch, make sure the gas pedal formed-rod for the lever arm isn't bent (REALLY common, results in throttle not being pulled WFO unless the pedal is crushing the carpet fibers.) Then just floor the gas pedal (not enough to bend the gas pedal arm) and the switch ratchets to the correct position.

Kickdown switch operation is improved if you pull the switch apart for cleaning, inspection, and lube.

The pieces responsible for the "ratchet" action. I suppose it's possible for the plastic teeth that the copper "shoe" rides on, to become worn, but I've never seen it happen.