Old 08-16-2023, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Battery Cable?

I had to take the battery out of my 67 today and found that the positive cable clamp was broken. Of course it had to be the positive cable. The negative cable would have been too easy to replace
Anyway, after dismantling the car I got the old cable off and will get a new one tomorrow, but I need to know the correct length and size. Should it be number 4 and 42 or 48 inches long? It is not the ram air motor so the cable routes along the fender well and down the tube between the spark plugs. The cable that came off measured 54 inches but there were several inches of excess cable.
I did consider cutting the old cable and just putting a new clamp on, but I know that would just be a patch and I would have to do it right sooner or later and the longer I wait the older and more feeble I will become.
Thanks for your help.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:54 AM

I don't know the correct dimensions, but this will be a good time to install some heat-resistant wire loom over the cable where it goes through the tube. I've seen several heat soak discussions lately where several suggested larger cable, #2, some even #0. Those might be a tight fit through the tube, however.

Old 08-17-2023, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I second the upgrade while youre in there
Are you going after a cable thats a spring ring?

Old 08-17-2023, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As to length, I don't mind having that cable a little long. Nothing excessive of course but an extra three or four inches makes it a little easier to deal with a starter swap.

Old 08-17-2023, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought some sheathing thats much thinner than OEM
Its reflective silver so may want to paint exposed parts black
DEI makes it I see Amazon has it too

https://www.designengineering.com/he...ing-0-75-x-36/

Last edited by Cammer-6; 08-17-2023 at 01:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cammer-6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2023, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have that same heat shield on my cable Cammer.

Old 08-17-2023, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went with a #4 48" cable with the bolt style clamp because that was the only one I could find locally. The length is perfect. Now, for the rest of the story. About 6 months ago I had starting issues. I ended up replacing the starter and both battery cables. Then, last Saturday I had the same problem only this time it was the battery and the dealer replaced it for free, but when I went to put the new battery in I found the 6 month old cable clamp was cracked and broke in two when I took it off. So, I bought the new cable and took everything loose, dropped the starter down on a threaded rod until I could get to the connections and swapped out the cable. When I tightened the cable connection on the solenoid the dang solenoid broke! So, I took the starter off and returned it to the store and got a new one under warranty. But wait, it gets better! The two long bolts that hold the starter together were clocked wrong(one has a stud that the starter support bracket mounts to) so I started to swap them at the store only to find that the first bolt threads were stripped out! And, that was the only starter the store had. So, we decided to swap out the solenoid which went smoothly and I was on my way home.I finally got the starter back on and everything else tightened up. It cranked right up and after a good 30 minute test drive I pulled into the drive way and shut the car off for a minute while I blew the garage out. I got back in the car, hit the ignition and it started right up. Hopefully, my problem is fixed. But, if it isn't you will see a classified ad for a 67 GTO convertible!

Old 08-17-2023, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I have that same heat shield on my cable Cammer.
weve used that stuff for at least 20 yrs
from engine conversions to custom zero turn mowers
I put that stuff everywhere

The Following User Says Thank You to Cammer-6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2023, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I believe M&H told me the length was 42". If you want a little longer, 48" should work.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400