Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-08-2023, 05:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Which brand / type of rubber fuel line and fuel pump to buy

I need to replace the rubber fuel line and fuel pump on my wagon. It's just a mechanical fuel pump system, so don't need anything carrying high pressure. Is there any particular type / brand of fuel line that is recommended? Todays gas does us no favors.

I'm going to replace the fuel pump too. Same question.

Thanks
Old Joe

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon
Old 04-08-2023, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Federal Mogal on the fuel pump, maybe, unless others have better recent reviews on other brands.

I have been using fuel injection rated hose on all my stuff for a long. It isn't needed, but is much better constructed, allowing it to last longer. The standard fuel hose has such a short life span....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 04-08-2023, 07:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Federal Mogal on the fuel pump, maybe, unless others have better recent reviews on other brands.

I have been using fuel injection rated hose on all my stuff for a long. It isn't needed, but is much better constructed, allowing it to last longer. The standard fuel hose has such a short life span....
If I use fuel injection line, do I have to use the screw type band clamps to get it to seal up tight? I like the look of the OEM style clamps, but not sure if they would grip tight enough.

Old 04-08-2023, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m sold on the RobbMc 550. More expensive, but rebuildable if it even ever needed to be. I don’t like rubber fuel line under my hood. I took a stock metal line and just cut the end off to adapt to the RobbMc.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
‘55 Catalina
‘62 Mercury Meteor-all original, bought new by my grandfather
71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.-now my sons ride
The Following User Says Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobird View Post
If I use fuel injection line, do I have to use the screw type band clamps to get it to seal up tight? I like the look of the OEM style clamps, but not sure if they would grip tight enough.
There may be different types of FI hose. The stuff I use takes regular clamps, no problem.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 04-09-2023, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just another perspective........

If you're looking at simple store bought mechanical pumps from the auto chain stores, it really hasn't mattered much over the last several years what brand you end up with. They are all pretty much the same with the same success/fail rate.
I've sometimes had a good one that was fine for years, and sometimes it took me 3 trips to the store replacing the pump until I got a good one.

So no real good recommendation on those from me, Airtex, Carter, AC, are all the same deal. Just roll the dice.

When I don't want to play those games and I still want a mechanical pump I'd recommend a RobbMC pump. 4 times the money but it's a well built pump and is rebuildable with a $25 kit he sells. So once past the initial investment it's a pretty easy and cheap pump to maintain if you ever should need to revisit it.

On rubber hose, the EFI hose is a good suggestion. It's more robust. Although I'll say I've never had much issue with fuel hose failure. I have however noticed different quality standard fuel hoses from different places. Some of it is so thin walled that when you make a curve with it, it kinks almost immediately and is just too flimsy for my taste. It takes some shopping around at different auto stores to find a satisfactory fuel hose, at least that's been my experience. The EFI stuff is pretty solid quality most anywhere you go though. It's also about 3 times the price per foot. That doesn't bother me, but I know some are very budget oriented.

As far as clamps, the factory squeeze clamps work fine either way you go.

All cars have short runs of rubber hose and that's the way I'd recommend keeping it (I'm sure that's what is in question), and use metal line where ever the factory intended just as 67Drake suggested.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2023, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
On rubber hose, the EFI hose is a good suggestion.
Agreed.

Quote:
As far as clamps, the factory squeeze clamps work fine
Also agreed.

For fook's sake DO NOT use the cheap 'n' crappy worm-gear hose clamps sold at every parts store in America. Get "Fuel Injection" style clamps, or use the OEM spring clamps.

Quote:
All cars have short runs of rubber hose and that's the way I'd recommend keeping it (I'm sure that's what is in question), and use metal line where ever the factory intended just as 67Drake suggested.
Yup.

Hose on the pressure side of the fuel pump is asking for problems.

Short sections of hose on the suction side of the pump to allow for engine shake, or to provide a connection between the tank and the steel tubing, is fine.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quadrajet? For $28.99 you can buy a pre-bent pump to carb metal line (I used 70 Pontiac with a 455 as my search) from OPGI (probably a number of other places) and for $24.17 on Amazon you can get a Carter deep sump pump, with a gasket.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Quadrajet? For $28.99 you can buy a pre-bent pump to carb metal line (I used 70 Pontiac with a 455 as my search) from OPGI (probably a number of other places) and for $24.17 on Amazon you can get a Carter deep sump pump, with a gasket.
I have very good steel lines already on the pressure side of the pump and on the suction side running the length of the frame as normal. I just want to replace the pump because I can see the fuel line is starting to age and I haven't had fuel pumps or rubber fuel line last a long time with todays gas.

As a matter of fact, I have some rubber fuel line and a fuel pump that I used to break in an engine a few years ago and that was the only use it had. I pulled the hose out of my test stand parts bin only to find that it was brittle at the ends. Not hard to imagine the fuel pump diaphram being dried out and rotted inside as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to gtobird For This Useful Post: