Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-03-2023, 02:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Front Coil Spring Compressor?

Hey Guys,

What is a good Moderately priced coil spring compressor for tall front coil springs?

Thanks, Craig

Old 01-03-2023, 07:08 PM
Senior Chief

I just did trick springs install with a piece of all thread and a steel plate on the bottom of my an arm . You have to remove the lower a arm and you run the all thread up they the bottom of the a arm and up thru the shock hole with a washer and nut , use a ratcheting wrench to tighten the nut on top of the shock hole until you can wiggle the a arm back up into the frame pockets , there is a video on you tube , also a floor jack will help you

Old 01-03-2023, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If this is a one time deal, check with your local auto parts stores - many of them loan out compressors for free.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 07:35 PM

Very Dangerous Job. Don't skimp.
After years i found the best coil compressor ever.
OTC 7045B
Do yourself a favor This thing works great.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
If this is a one time deal, check with your local auto parts stores - many of them loan out compressors for free.
back in the day in our area we had a tool rental place
catch them on the right day too, and be surprised how cheap they would sell their used equipment

man.... i miss those days...
the days when you walked into the parts store
the parts guy KNEW about cars/parts/advice

now-a-days..... just...... well.... sucks that it seems like we lost things like this
fond fond memories of the time i walked in to Bladwin Motion performance because i saw them in the back of Car Craft Magazine...... I salivated over their F body and H body isle of new parts........

Old 01-04-2023, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ive used the one in this thread a bunch of times with excellent results, can buy it new or rent one for free from most auto parts stores. i posted how i do it & always use a chain for safety. it feels sketchy the first few times but is pretty straightforward & safe after youve done it a few times.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=863783

Old 01-04-2023, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by er455 View Post
I just did trick springs install with a piece of all thread and a steel plate on the bottom of my an arm . You have to remove the lower a arm and you run the all thread up they the bottom of the a arm and up thru the shock hole with a washer and nut , use a ratcheting wrench to tighten the nut on top of the shock hole until you can wiggle the a arm back up into the frame pockets , there is a video on you tube , also a floor jack will help you
This process works well. A 5/8 threaded rod will fit through the shock tower hole and be plenty strong. Uses something like a 1/4" thick plate on the bottom side underneath the lower A arm. I also double nut the bottom side for extra security.. also helps to apply some grease on the friction points between the top nut and washer, along with the threads.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 01-04-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeklm View Post
This process works well. A 5/8 threaded rod will fit through the shock tower hole and be plenty strong. Uses something like a 1/4" thick plate on the bottom side underneath the lower A arm. I also double nut the bottom side for extra security.. also helps to apply some grease on the friction points between the top nut and washer, along with the threads.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good technique for when the motor was out, forgot that’s how I did the c2 when I had its motor out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember
Old 01-04-2023, 11:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tall "18 drag springs with engine in and limited movement of lower control arm and bolt removal due to "2 headers