THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-28-2022, 02:18 PM

Default Son moved cross country - near Santa Monica Los Angeles

My son just moved to Los Angeles near Santa Monica. I wanted to see if anyone was in that area, and had any recommendations on auto repair shops or other suggestions/advice that I could pass along to him.

He has an EcoBoost Mustang, at some point I'm sure that he'll need some help. He doesn't know too much about car repair but wanted a Mustang so he bought it a couple of years ago. I'm sure that he'll need something eventually.

Thanks for any input anyone has.... tough when your kids move so far away that you can't readily help them.

Old 05-28-2022, 03:34 PM
Boost Engineer

STAY AWAY FROM THE LARGEST FORD DEALER IN CALIFORNIA.
(Internet says it is GALPIN FORD.) I know nothing about sales volumes per dealer.

Has only one guy who knows anything about Ecoboost and he apparently works only 4 days a week.

Lots of my friends have had issues. Take pictures of your vehicle before you turn over the vehicle to them. One guy was told that the Fender and Door damage to his vehicle was like that when they received it. He showed them the dated and time stamped phone pictures of the vehicle and they could no longer claim they did not do the damage to his truck. Truck was out of service for months before he got it back.

Just saying.

TV

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Last time i was in Santa Monica, there were street bums at many corners that looks as if they hadn't had a shower in 10 years. That and the roaches, otherwise a nice looking place.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:10 PM

If your son moved to Santa Monica he has deep pockets everything in that city is expensive. Definitely go north east or south for service. FYI my buddy just had his eco boost engine replaced the water pump blades are made of some sort of plastic and three blades broke off and over heated his engine his insurance took care of it. Should check it out he said it’s a common problem.

Old 05-29-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrunner View Post
If your son moved to Santa Monica he has deep pockets everything in that city is expensive. ...
Unfortunately quite the opposite, he wants to get into marketing for esports and believes that's the place to be. He's in "West LA" with a roommate, they pay $2,500 per month in rent, and minimal furniture. He's been working full time but not in his target field, essentially paycheck to paycheck. He's one of the people who is very subject to inflation, paying $6 per gallon for gas, etc.

I can help him financially but he doesn't want the help, wants to make it on his own. I'm thinking that knowing where to direct him if he has a car problem, rather than telling him to find somewhere, would be beneficial, figured some of the members may have suggestions. Thanks for the geographic guidance!

The Following User Says Thank You to Longs For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 12:32 PM
Senior Chief

You’re son will be able to figure it out, have confidence in him.

Old 05-29-2022, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Local Yelp reviews and word of mouth can help him decide a good mechanic. While not completely fool proof they can give a good indication of a shop's aptitude and it's attitude towards their customers

Your son will figure it out.
My son moved to Hollywood when he was 19 and struggling. Played in a band all night and slept during the day. I wasn't happy about it.
Twenty-five years later he still lives in 'West' Hollywood, married and is in upper management of an advertising company he began working for when he was twenty.
He credits the work ethic his grandfather and I Instilled in him.
I'm happy.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express
2024 Cadillac LYRIQ

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Learn to work on his car

Your son should learn to work on his car.
I have four daughters and they all
know how to work on the vehicles
they drive - it is an essential Life Skill.

Jim

Old 05-29-2022, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

im close but dont know any Ford shops.Tom

Old 05-29-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulyvintage View Post
Your son should learn to work on his car.
I have four daughters and they all
know how to work on the vehicles
they drive - it is an essential Life Skill.

Jim
He knows very basic maintenance but since he's living in an apartment and has almost no tools with him, that's not a feasible option. Both of my sons have helped me work on my cars and theirs, but that's with me physically there, able to provide guidance, and with the appropriate tools.

I did as someone else suggested and checked Yelp, there are a couple of independent shops with good reviews pretty close to him so I'll probably suggest those.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Rent Tools

Unless it is a major repair …
There are You Tube videos that show
you step by step how to do repairs
and Autozone and O’Reilly’s rent tools
for free - you just pay a deposit.

Work can be done in their parking lots
in most cases - you said he is on a budget
so that means learn to work on your
own vehicle.