THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default GM vs GM

For your viewing pleasure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEUReYnd_Fw

The Following User Says Thank You to PunchT37 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The $862 more was money well spent. While the Monte is a nice car, it is not in the GP's league.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 11-04-2021, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1970 Monte Carlo vs Grand Prix Sales Guide.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:56 AM

Thanks for posting, that was very entertaining!

Computer selected springs as a selling point, I wonder how many sales people used that nugget.......
"But boss, I told them about the springs AND they still bought the GP!"

James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesq For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I love those old filmstrip and 16mm movie sales materials. The Chrysler ones are the best comparison ones VS GM and Ford. They are really funny. This one is great as well. If you take the "Chevy" approach, point by point, it just makes the Grand Prix look better and better. The 70 Monte Carlo is a handsome car, but it is classic Chevy. It just screams Cheap, Cheap, Cheap, especially the interior. I have a good friend with a 70 SS 454 Monte Carlo. It is a nice car and a decent performer. A stock Grand Prix with a 400-350 HP will easily outrun it and is better handling, quieter and more comfortable. When the main selling point of your new car, Monte Carlo, is that if you abuse your rear brakes and run them down to 0% lining remaining, you will score the drums with the superior riveted brake shoes, and your base engine has 100 less HP, and bench seats are standard, you don't have much going for you! Styling is purely subjective but to me a Monte Carlo is a slightly upgraded Chevelle and looks allot like one. A Grand Prix looks nothing like a GTO. The clear advantage to a Monte Carlo is the 20-25% lower price tag than a Grand Prix. That's where Chevy is a clear winner against Pontiac every time. Chevy is the King OF Cheap!

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 02:01 PM
Senior Chief

Between those two cars? Its like deciding which one of your cousins you want to marry. Ugh. I'd take an ss454 Monte over a 400 GP any day. The snout of the Grand Prix isnt exactly fetching either. And having worked on Monte Carlos, no thanks. Id go GTO over Chevelle in a hot second though.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 11-04-2021, 04:52 PM
Senior Chief

Consider both in 70 but bought a Buick GS 4-speed/AC instead. Chebby dealer did not want to talk about a Muncie ina Monte Carlo SS. Later had a GP 400/4-speed/AC I liked very much. Last Chevvy I had was a 67 Camaro with a 327/ Saginaw/AC (know enough to avoid the SS-350).

Learned early at GMI that AC cars had HD cooling and charging systems and better heaters.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HAHA! They tried to say the Monte interior was upscale and more desirable than a GP? LOL YOU DECIDE!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monte really.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	576945  

Old 11-04-2021, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interestingly enough the Monte Carlo was born BECAUSE of The Delorean inspired Grand Prix .
"Shortly after the Firebird's introduction, DeLorean turned his attention to the development of an all-new Grand Prix, the division's personal luxury car based on the full-sized Pontiac line since 1962. Sales were sagging by this time, however, but the 1969 model would have its own distinct body shell with drivetrain and chassis components from the intermediate-sized Pontiac A-body (Tempest, LeMans, GTO). DeLorean knew Pontiac Division couldn't finance the new car alone, so he went to his former boss Pete Estes and asked to share the cost of development with Pontiac, having a one-year exclusivity before Chevrolet would release the 1970 Monte Carlo. The deal was done. The 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix featured sharp bodylines and a 6-foot-long (1.8 m) hood. The interior included a wraparound cockpit-style instrument panel, bucket seats and center console. The new model offered a sportier, high performance, somewhat smaller, and lower-priced alternative to the other personal luxury cars then on the market, such as the Ford Thunderbird, Buick Riviera, Lincoln Continental Mark III, and Oldsmobile Toronado. The 1969 Grand Prix production ended up at over 112,000 units,[25] far higher than the 32,000 1968 Grand Prix units built from the full-sized Pontiac body."

Old 11-04-2021, 08:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
HAHA! They tried to say the Monte interior was upscale and more desirable than a GP? LOL YOU DECIDE!
I guess if you like that taxi-cab look.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOnly70 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For some reason every 70-72 MC I came across in the wrecking yard had a 12 bolt in it. Was this also true of the GP?

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-05-2021, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only Monte Carlo that I think would be cool is the SS model, but the styling of the Grand Prix is far nicer.

Old 11-05-2021, 06:23 PM
Senior Chief

Dunno about all but my '70 GP 400/4-speed had a 12 bolt. Was not posi hence the nickname "Asphyxiation".

The Following User Says Thank You to padgett For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
For some reason every 70-72 MC I came across in the wrecking yard had a 12 bolt in it. Was this also true of the GP?
Don't believe it under 350 2bbl '70-72 Montes. C-clip axle 8.2 Chevy 10 bolts under those.

In the late 80's up into the mid 90's i used to gut & pull single track 12 bolt housings & axles out of '70-72 Montes & same era Elco's on regular occasion. Would get one every other month in the Pick-N-Pulls. 95% of the time, they were 2.73 peg legs, just housings to build off of with new Moser axles.

Chevy had long list of its own application (coded) 12 bolt rearends. These had a different build content than original B-O-P usage McKinnon plant built 12 bolt rears that were installed in '70-72 Pontiac A & GP's when factory equip with a 455 engine AND in '70 GP's with 400 4bbl engine with factory installed manual trans. McKinnon built 12 bolts with 3R pinion yokes & their own axles & backing plates also found their way under a small percentage of '68 & 69 Olds A-body's & '68-70 Buick Skylarks (not GS 400's or GS 455's from what I've ever seen).

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 11-05-2021 at 08:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 'ol Pinion head For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2021, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Canadian models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Don't believe it under 350 2bbl '70-72 Montes. C-clip axle 8.2 Chevy 10 bolts under those.

In the late 80's up into the mid 90's i used to gut & pull single track 12 bolt housings & axles out of '70-72 Montes & same era Elco's on regular occasion. Would get one every other month in the Pick-N-Pulls. 95% of the time, they were 2.73 peg legs, just housings to build off of with new Moser axles.

Chevy had long list of its own application (coded) 12 bolt rearends. These had a different build content than original B-O-P usage McKinnon plant built 12 bolt rears that were installed in '70-72 Pontiac A & GP's when factory equip with a 455 engine AND in '70 GP's with 400 4bbl engine with factory installed manual trans. McKinnon built 12 bolts with 3R pinion yokes & their own axles & backing plates also found their way under a small percentage of '68 & 69 Olds A-body's & '68-70 Buick Skylarks (not GS 400's or GS 455's from what I've ever seen).
My understanding is the Canadian cars got the 12 bolt.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-06-2021, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Big block monte any day over a GP.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 11-06-2021, 06:44 PM
Senior Chief

"Big block monte any day over a GP" GREAT ! More for the rest of us.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Both cars have their pluses and minuses.
If you want to go around corners both are terrible performers. That long front end and short deck upsets the balance, as their front ends really push in a turn and the tail ends being so short are nothing but tire burners and do nothing for traction, still if you were to properly set up both vehicles equally the Monte Carlo has a advantage having a shorter wheelbase.
Looks, are a matter of taste. What they said about bumpers is very true. A valance not only has a cheap appearance, but a magnet for stone and chipped paint ( I have a 69 H-O Lemans...I know! ). While I'm on about bumpers, and my LeMans is no exception- that front bumper center point "beak" "projectile" looks like some type of a battering ram and probably some stylist manifestation of a *****. What a tragic outgrowth from the successful split grille theme.
The rear of the cars are pleasing and the Chevy's rear tail lights from day 1 for me gave me the impression of a baby Coupe deVille.
I give the nod to Pontiac on interiors. The cockpit look suits me fine, and as far as a radio out of reach of the passenger goes...I want to be in control, not the passenger of changing stations or volume so no distracting the driver!
Engines; As much as I like a 390HP 428 ( 426 & change), the 454 with up to 450HP just has better heads.--thank Knudsen and Estes for that....... Not that I would buy one, I'm still a Pontiac guy.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by U47 View Post
... that front bumper center point "beak" "projectile" looks like some type of a battering ram and probably some stylist manifestation of a *****.
It was actually DeLorean one-upping other luxury cars for the "longest hood"
title. He handed his people a number which he wanted bested.

The Following User Says Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 10:16 AM
Senior Chief

by 3/4" and the longest radiator fan shroud ever seen.