THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:31 PM
Senior Chief

Default Shipping challenges

Anyone else find simple shipping of a package a challenge. Websites hard to understand.
The post office pushes you to ship everything 1-3 day. Economy pricing is higher than priority.
The rate is always higher when you get there than the online quote and most times they soak you for value insurance. Not much makes it under the $50 limit. There current 1-3 day priority is running 8-10 days.

Warning to Fed Ex online users. The online quote states box dimensions optional. Its not.
Without it you will get a lower rate, then they will charge your credit card without asking you.
You will get a email a week later that appears to be a spam but its telling you they charged you more. They must be hoping you will delete it and not notice. I mailed a fan blades in a 18"x18"x4" box, weighed 4lb. Small and light. Purchased a label on line for $10.92. Week later almost double upcharge. At some point dimensions do come into play but they don't tell you when, guess its a surprise. If you sign up for an account, I did, the prices are actually higher so be careful.

UPS is a challenge just navigating to get a price and they seem to always be higher priced than anyone.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We pronounce UPS as "OOPS". The seem to make a sport of screwing up everything they've ever shipped me. Along the way, they call me and ask "do you have a customs broker". I told them that I ship all the time with FedEx and USPS and they don't need a broker, but they don't care. They charge me 30.00US. Just another way to get your money. I asked Ames to ship with anybody but UPS last time I ordered, so they sent it FedEx. It was delivered with no issues. It seems as if the UPS business model is to just brush off the complaints and keep screwing up. Sooner or later it will hurt them.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have much of a problem with USPS but with eBay and Fedex, different story. I recently had a 4# package that went thru eBay and the rate was $12.06. When I was billed thru eBay by Fedex it was $16.46. Fedex will bill the higher of actual weight or dimensional weight. This package was billed at 4# and the dimensional weight calculated 3#. I called eBay and asked to find out why as if I call Fedex, they won't give the info because the deal is between them and eBay. I contend there should be a class action lawsuit against both eBay and Fedex if I/we can't get an answer as to why there is an upcharge, If eBay's calculator is wrong, they should eat it. If Fedex is responsible, I have the right to know why.
It'e like buying a car with a price in the window, closing the deal and then being told the actual price is more but I won't tell you why. Total BS and I plan on raising enough hell until I get an answer. I've had it happen many times and for more money but this is the end. Know this has happened to many others with no resolution, time to end it.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just bought a car online. Sent the check by USPS 2 day guarantee. They delivered alright but not to the person I sent it to. They did finally find it. Seller mailed me the title and bill of sale Registered mail. The car arrived in NH from CA before the USPS delivered the envelope. Ordered a Christmas present for my wife. Company sent it USPS on Nov. 23. USPS has NO idea where it is other than it is in "transit". Company just sent me another one. Hope I get that one.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shipped a Large if it ships it fits to Florida from Illinois last week Monday, instead of the 1 to 3 days it got their yesterday.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:01 PM
Senior Chief

I guess if your not happy you could always call, hahahahahahaha.
They hide there phone number, after googling it you get a vertical assistant, then go around and around till it hangs up on you. After a few calls you make it to a person who does not speak English and can't help anyway.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I currently have 4 packages in USPS Prison System
All of them have surpassed their original predicted delivery dates.
One was shipped Nov 25, it finally made it to NC this weekend, but has just been sitting in the next town over since the weekend.

Following the tracking history on the 4 packages - they have been sitting in various locations much more than they have been moving.
They must be swamped beyond words.

Had 3 items come Fed-X last week, all got here sooner than predicted.

Off Topic
UPS totaled a friends car about 10 days ago.
Driver stopped in street, so she stopped, then he backed up rapidly right into her.
He went past the target address

Old 12-08-2020, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

shipping has gone stupid. i had a guy needing a rear seat really bad. shipping fedex or fedex heavy weight was 332.00. he couldnt find it any cheaper at the moment and had to have it so he said do it. ouch i felt terrible for him. what a rip off. i can ship engines for that much or less.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:08 PM
Senior Chief

It’s been a nightmare, that’s for sure

Old 12-08-2020, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Batting a 1000 with UPS, USPS, and FredEx.

Just YESTERDAY I had to shag down the USPS jeep for my package after receiving an empty shipping envelop.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:37 PM
Senior Chief

A friend of mine works for UPS locally as a mechanic. There shipping center is designed for up to 30,000 packages a day. Last year there biggest day was 3 days before Christmas. They moved 48,000 packages. Right now they are up past 42,000 packages a day and climbing. They are predicting 60,000 a day by Christmas. They are already stressed with 3 weeks to go.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack P. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered some small parts from our host that were shipped via USPS. I was given a tracking number and an expected arrival date which was Saturday 12/5. There was no package in my mail box so I went online to check the status. USPS said that it was left on my front porch at 5:14 pm 12/5 so I looked but it wasn't there. My next door neighbor has a Ring doorbell and it covers most of my front yard. It showed the mail truck passing my house at 5:17. I went to the post office Monday about lunch time and told the clerk about my problem. She ran the tracking number and told me the package was delivered to the wrong address and as soon as the carrier got back in she would get it straightened out. I left the post office, picked up a hamburger for lunch and drove home. My package was on the front porch!

Old 12-08-2020, 11:54 PM

Were I live Fed ex SUCKS!
They pitched a aluminum intake over the fence when we were closed!! And signed someone's name to it!
UPS there has been some small things over the years but nothing like Fed EX

Old 12-09-2020, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Shipping is a headache these days .
Most people don't understand that you have to box up, weigh and measure to get a quote. Then they don't do anything and it sits in a box til someone else wants it.
I have had good luck with usps, ups, greyhound and fastenal. Fedex seems to always wants to be difficult or deliver to wrong address. Even when someone sends shipping labels Fedex is a screwed up deal.

Good luck with your future shipping.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:02 AM

I have a ton of Fiero parts I thought I would start selling, a friend put a few on F Book Market place and started to get responses. Fantastic, until I started to get quotes for shipping. Unbelievable. A box from PA to Texas weighed 12 LBS and the shape was 20" x 22"x6" cost $85.00 from UPS. The person bulked at that considering the seat cushion was sold for $25.00. Forget sending stuff to Canada, USPS is the cheapest but still crazy with their prices. Everything is pick up at the house only at this point now. Not selling much.....

What a shame

Old 12-09-2020, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

...now wondering how to sell through Amazon to enjoy those Free Shipping deals.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I feel fortunate. I have yet to have a problem. I use a privately owned shipping depot, he weighs and measures then will give me the option of which carrier to use. Most cases fed ex comes up the cheapest. I recently got some parts from a guy on here, I mailed him the money on monday, friday afternoon the package was on my step (Md to Ny to Md). Same day I sent a package to MI, they got it on Wed, made the repairs and I just got a confirmation that it should be delivered back to me tomorrow. One thing I have found though is that it doesnt seem to matter what I send, it cost me around $30. I sent a pair of exhaust manifolds to MO. last summer, shipped them seperately because of the weight and each one cost around $20 to ship which surprised the heck out of me. I think the rates have gone up since then.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any company as large as the shipping carriers are bound to have a few mistakes. When it happens to you, it is unfortunate (it should always happen to "the other guy"). When mistakes happen, hopefully one can find an individual in the company that will attempt to solve the problem.

Having been in the mail/carrier order business for about 45 years, have seen a few issues. The USPS has sent a package from Kansas City to California and back SIX times before actual delivery. UPS forgot to set the brake, had the truck jump out of gear, and back over a box containing a carburetor that the driver had sat on the road while reaching for another package. Fortunately, the driver was uninjured. The carburetor was a Carter YH for a turbo Corvair. When it was returned to me, the carburetor was a little over 1 inch tall. And we won't even think about FedEx and their ways!

One that turned out well for me was UPS delivered a restored 1967 GTO carb to an address, and left it on the porch (I had specified signature) during the Christmas holidays. One of the carrier chasers picked it up from the porch. UPS found it hard to believe the price for a restored 1967 GTO carb, but I had the documentation, and they were unable to find another; so they paid off. Fortunately, I had another at that time, and shipped it to the customer. About 4 months later, the package, unopened, was recovered in an FBI raid (the same folks had been chasing mail trucks, and you really don't want to steal from the Feds) and returned to me. I contacted UPS about returning the insurance, and they stated that the issue was too old, keep the insurance. This happened maybe 20 years ago; don't know what their policy would be today.

We are running approximately 1 issue per 5000 shipments, so I guess not too bad. But when that one occurs, it can cause frustrations and hard feelings. Best to just make the best of a frustrating situation.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:46 PM

I had a better year then I thought I would selling junkyard parts on ebay. According to ebay 21,000 this year gross, my bank account does not reflect that in net profits lol. Ebay seems to have the best rates when shipping even though they are higher now a days. I used to guess at shipping weight and USPS started charging my PayPal account with outrageous adjustment charges. So I finally decided I needed to weigh every package and a hand-held luggage scale has worked great for that. I use paypal multi-order shipping for USPS when I sell items that are not through Ebay. It is still cheaper then going to the local USPS they always charge more. USPS usually gets most of the items I sell to people in 3-4 days but there has been the occasional package that will yo-yo between states for some odd reason.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ALERT: USPS IS EXPERIENCING UNPRECEDENTED PACKAGE INCREASES AND LIMITED EMPLOYEE AVAILABILITY DUE TO THE IMPACTS OF COVID-19. WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE AND REMAIN COMMITTED TO DELIVERING THE HOLIDAYS TO YOU.

Waiting on a package from GA that shipped on the 1st of December. Checked tracking again today and got this message. Not expecting it before Christmas. . . . .