Old 03-18-2019, 02:46 AM
Senior Chief

Default dash removal thread

Several years back there was a thread giving step_by_step instructions on removing/replacingg a dash. Darned if II can fjnd it. can any one help?

Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - K (from MIB)

1972 LeMans Sport convert (T41) '70 XF 455, TH400, 3.31 12-bolt Posi
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Senior Chief

I have this document to share...It worked flawlessly on my 71 LeMans Sport.

1. Remove glove box lid.

2. Remove glove box insert. It should be held on with phillips screws.

3. There are 3 nuts that thread onto studs molded into the dash pad. Use a (I think ) 3/8" socket to get them out. If you look at the glove box opening, they are on the top side.

4.Remove the bolts on the bottom part of the dash around the steering wheel. These are small. I think they are 1/4". Also, don't forget the metal plate that goes around the bottom of the steering column. This needs to come out.

5. On the extreme left and right side of the dash on the bottom are 2 bolts. They are either 1/2" or 9/16th.

6. Above the gauge faces, there are screws. That should be all of the fasteners.

7. It helps tremendously if you unbolt the steering column. There are 2 nuts that require a 9/16" socket. Lower the steering column.

8. At this point, you can begin to separate the dashpad. Remember:
-Disconnect the Speedo cable. I pushed down on the clip and pulled back (tug, but not too hard) on the cable.

-Disconnect the plug that goes into the back of the gauges.

-Some of the power components will have to be unplugged. Wipers, defroster, lighter, etc.

-Remove the radio and heater. The heater is held on the dash pad with 4 nuts. Radio varies. Mine is aftermarket and I didn't remove it. I just disconnected the plug in the back of the radio and the antenna.

-You will figure out what else needs to come out. I have a non-AC car so it might be easier. Be SURE you label the various electrical connectors. Be careful.

Believe it or not, you should be able to have the dash out in about 1-2 hours. SAVE all of the fasteners you take out. Put them in a labelled ziplock bag.
Oh, I forgot something...the gauges come out with the dash pad. They can be removed once the dash is out. Then you can deal with the paneling on the dash.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If I can add:
If you have A/C. gently remove the top center duct when you have the dash loose( it appears to be interference fit or maybe a single screw on right side; mine was missing).
Also, it is a biotch to remove the heater control speed nuts with the dash in the car so if you disconnect the cable and any electrical connectors, you can leave it on the dash until complete removal( the wires to door switch and glove box light run thru a plastic channel and those can be popped out with the dash hanging loose.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....d.php?t=780264

This will probably lead you to the thread you were asking about.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I usually unbolt the bulkhead under the hood then unbolt the fusebox in the car. Then, I pull the dash out with the whole dash harness. Remember to disconnect the wires from the dome light switches at the doors. One can get the dash out in 30 to 45 minutes this way.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:24 PM
Senior Chief

thank you to all replys

Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - K (from MIB)

1972 LeMans Sport convert (T41) '70 XF 455, TH400, 3.31 12-bolt Posi
Old 03-19-2019, 05:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If I had to do it again( hopefully I won't have to), this would be the only way I would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchT37 View Post
I usually unbolt the bulkhead under the hood then unbolt the fusebox in the car. Then, I pull the dash out with the whole dash harness. Remember to disconnect the wires from the dome light switches at the doors. One can get the dash out in 30 to 45 minutes this way.