Old 11-30-2018, 06:58 PM

Default Torque Tube Insulators

Several years ago I had a number of Torque Tube Insulators made by copying a nos part. I've since sold most of my stock of these Insulators and bearings and have just a couple of sets left for my own use. However, I'm still getting the occasional request from people looking to purchase a set. I've contacted the guy who made the original copies and he's indicated he would be willing to make more at the same price. Before I decide whether to commit to having another batch made, I need to know how many of you out there may still be interested in obtaining a set. Please let me know here on the forum.
Thanks
JK

Old 12-01-2018, 11:13 AM

I'd certainly be interested, if he uses quality bearings.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What was the price? I may need another set.

POCI.org
Old 12-01-2018, 07:10 PM

I've been selling them for $ 140.00 a set w/bearings and shipping included. I can also provide the special Kent Moore tool with an appropriate deposit.
JK

Old 12-02-2018, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff,
It has been a few years and I was wondering what kind of feedback (if any) you have had on the original ones you had made up. I know there was a "big" discussion about "quality" bearings when you were first working on the project. ( I thought it was a "much ado about nothing" situation since you had a good source of bearings working with you.) In any case, you could sell the insulators without bearings and let the purchaser press in his own selection of bearings.

I applaud you again for your efforts on this whole project.

Good luck!

Old 12-02-2018, 08:32 PM

It's strange but, even though I requested feedback from each buyer, not a peep from anyone. I guess"no news is good news". As to the bearings, I'm open to suggestions if enough folks are interested.
JK

Old 12-08-2018, 01:18 PM

Do you have any of the insulators left over that are still for sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefkey View Post
It's strange but, even though I requested feedback from each buyer, not a peep from anyone. I guess"no news is good news". As to the bearings, I'm open to suggestions if enough folks are interested.
JK

Old 12-08-2018, 05:41 PM

I've got three sets left and two may be spoken for already..... after that I've got to decide whether to invest in having some more made. If you're interested, please email me at Chiefkey@comcast.net.
Thanks,
JK

Old 12-09-2018, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Even though it has been over 4 years since Jeff had these torque tube insulators reproduced, it is likely that no one has driven a significant amount of miles using them. However, I think that ANY failures would have been in the bearing itself or the "rubber" durability or its "bonding" to the bushing for the bearing. Due to the stress put on these parts by the curvature of the driveshaft, I would think that any deficiency of these pieces would have shown up quite soon even in a minimal amount of driving.

It is likely that anyone contemplating buying a set would likewise be driving only a relatively low amount of miles as the first round buyers have done in the past few years. Accordingly, I would be quite confident in buying a set of new reproductions.

We are fortunate that we have a specific forum for these “ropeshaft” cars and there are a few aftermarket reproduction parts being made for them. However, there are very, very few uniquely mechanical parts available that are vital to the operation of these cars. This is one of those parts. They became readily available ONLY through Jeff’s efforts.

Accordingly, anyone who has used Jeff’s parts has a responsibility to respond and comment on their experiences with the parts. I urge them to do so in this forum. This would go a long way in allaying any concerns a potential buyer may have for buying parts in a second round of reproduction which he is trying to organize.

No one realizes the efforts and expenses that Jeff went through in having these parts reproduced. It took a significant outlay of his money UP FRONT. I know that he barely cleared his expenses and costs.

Support the effort!

Old 12-30-2018, 12:26 PM

New here to this forum.
Interested in a set of the torque tube insulators.
E-mail sent