Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-28-2018, 06:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Marcella's heads ??

I realize he has a ton of work on his plate as it is but has anyone heard how his heads are coming along? I thought in another thread someone said they were going to be cast so I'm guessing he's moving along pretty good? Any other info like valve lay out that he or anyone else can share?
Kevin

Old 10-28-2018, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Little info. Pretty sure RAV style cam, canted intake and exhaust valves. Clean sheet except will have to work around lifter locations.
All their own intake manifold and headers.
Bet they end up, the best. Like pretty much everything else he does IMO.
Last I heard, very busy with plenty of irons in the fire. Not too worried about him finishing my intake since I will take more time for the IA2 Gabby E head build and run a fresh stock block combo with my HOs most likely in 2019. Could put the High Ports on but will probably sell them.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thought i would bump this since John has been posting
Kevin

Old 11-12-2018, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Little info. Pretty sure RAV style cam, canted intake and exhaust valves. Clean sheet except will have to work around lifter locations.
All their own intake manifold and headers.
Bet they end up, the best. Like pretty much everything else he does IMO.
Last I heard, very busy with plenty of irons in the fire. Not too worried about him finishing my intake since I will take more time for the IA2 Gabby E head build and run a fresh stock block combo with my HOs most likely in 2019. Could put the High Ports on but will probably sell them.

Never ever tell an engine builder or painter to take his time!

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
Or chassis builder .

Old 11-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Ain't that the truth!

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 11-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I aint done jack on this yet. To consumed with other people's projects at the moment.

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 11-12-2018, 10:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanx John
I figured if I started this thread you would probably run across it. I know you're busy that's why didn't wanna call and waste your time. Keep up the good work.
Kevin

Old 11-12-2018, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
My last machinist took a month for each piston and there was no mention of "take your time "

Old 11-13-2018, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Those are probably wise words. Whittmore had my stuff for years'.
But I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not always, but most of the time, having cash money and allot of it, makes things happen much faster than you can imagine. Lots of racing vendors realize their custom parts are time sensitive. BME, for example, has 5 or 6 price levels for parts based on how fast you need them. I can have a custom piston for our funny car in 1 day, if I am willing to pay for it. I think it was about 5 times the regular cost to have a piston or connecting rod made and delivered in 1 day. We are usually on the other end of the spectrum, where our stuff is put on hold so the high rollers can get their stuff quickly. That's why we try to allow 3-4 months of lead time when we order parts. One recent example of fantastic service at a price was at Norwalk 2 years ago. We killed 2 Manton pushrods on a warm-up Friday afternoon. (oiling issue) They are in CA, three hours earlier. I called them and explained the situation. Next day and $132.00 later, I had 2 pushrods sitting in the tower at the track. Great service and saved the weekend.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pre paid does not always help. I pre paid for everything with Dan Whittmore and he had my stuff for years. Got it back after he passed. He was known for taking a long time, then had a bunch of health issues.
Only thing I did not get was the bore and deck job. And the BOP seal.
Moral of the story, one man shop and big health issues it can get difficult.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Not always, but most of the time, having cash money and allot of it, makes things happen much faster than you can imagine. Lots of racing vendors realize their custom parts are time sensitive. BME, for example, has 5 or 6 price levels for parts based on how fast you need them. I can have a custom piston for our funny car in 1 day, if I am willing to pay for it. I think it was about 5 times the regular cost to have a piston or connecting rod made and delivered in 1 day. We are usually on the other end of the spectrum, where our stuff is put on hold so the high rollers can get their stuff quickly. That's why we try to allow 3-4 months of lead time when we order parts. One recent example of fantastic service at a price was at Norwalk 2 years ago. We killed 2 Manton pushrods on a warm-up Friday afternoon. (oiling issue) They are in CA, three hours earlier. I called them and explained the situation. Next day and $132.00 later, I had 2 pushrods sitting in the tower at the track. Great service and saved the weekend.

Yes having a customer for a job turns it into a real job ! At this point I have no customer so it gets back Burnered to real jobs. At this point it's just something that I want to do because i want to do it.
It will happen, It's just not the priority

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 11-13-2018, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have started laying out the valve angles and configuration in CAD. Nothing final yet just analyzing a few things.

Just to be clear it will not be anything like a ram air 5 layout like previously mentioned an earlier post.

Layout will be IEEIIEEI. Prob 9x5 ish on intake and prob 3x2 ish on ex. Will work well With existing block architecture !

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 11-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Name will be ....ML9

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 11-13-2018, 10:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by john marcella View Post
Layout will be IEEIIEEI. Prob 9x5 ish on intake and prob 3x2 ish on ex. Will work well With existing block architecture !
Hmm- sounds familiar... 10 x 5 & 2 x2- just sayin-

to be clear-
everyone on this site seems to love you...but hates me...

except mjm421 who just went 9.49 @ 139 in his 3450lb '63 lemans street driver w/ your cv-1's

Old 11-14-2018, 01:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7T2 View Post
Hmm- sounds familiar... 10 x 5 & 2 x2- just sayin-

to be clear-
everyone on this site seems to love you...but hates me...

except mjm421 who just went 9.49 @ 139 in his 3450lb '63 lemans street driver w/ your cv-1's

While angles may be similar on paper I can promise you ,you will find no similarities within the cyl head. These angles are very relevant to placement within the bore To maximize dynamic curtain area. My valve placement and architecture versus yours is grossly different.

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 11-14-2018, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yes having a customer for a job turns it into a real job ! At this point I have no customer so it gets back Burnered to real jobs. At this point it's just something that I want to do because i want to do it.
It will happen, It's just not the priority
I hope everyone wishing and hoping for the "ultimate" Pontiac head understands your post. You obviously have the skills and ability to make this happen. But the time and effort diverted to this project comes directly away from "paying projects". If someone showed up at your place with a fat checkbook or a Brinks truck, a chunk of aluminum would begin looking like a Pontiac head pretty quickly, I imagine. I hope someone steps up to the plate and you can get together.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Layout will be IEEIIEEI. !
I'm asking this because I'm curious....not as one of the internet naysayers. Why did you choose this valve arrangement?

I'm obviously a fan of the RA5 layout but I wonder why nobody has gotten really bold and done a fully symmetric valve arrangement for the traditional Pontiac.

Thoughts?

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 11-14-2018, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
I'm asking this because I'm curious....not as one of the internet naysayers. Why did you choose this valve arrangement?

I'm obviously a fan of the RA5 layout but I wonder why nobody has gotten really bold and done a fully symmetric valve arrangement for the traditional Pontiac.

Thoughts?

Eric
My guess...it would really look like a Ford then. In the 60's Pontiac had an interest in OHC engines.
Personally think we are long overdue for a 24, 32 or 40 valve OHC head. Or get radical and use cam in block for exhaust and ohc for intake.