Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default E85 "flex fuel" question

I recently bought a 2014 Jaguar. It has the 3.0 supercharged V6. On the gas cap and in the owners manual it says to use "either premium unleaded gasoline or E85." Nowhere on the car or on the manual does it actually say "flex fuel" like on American models. (BTW, not a peep after asking this question on a Jaguar forum.)

I have been running 91 octane and occasionally some 89 octane unleaded with no problem. There are very few stations around Phoenix AZ advertising "E85."

There is one local Chevron that carries a fuel with a strange label saying "between 50-83% Ethanol, not a Chevron product..." I have read that even when labelled "E85" this is actually what you get, but question the strange advertising.

Would it be safe to run this stuff? Even if it is really "E50" would not that be the same effect as topping off with E85 when the tank was already partially full of 91 unleaded?

Old 12-25-2018, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try looking on the underhood emission certification label. It should list if it was certified for E85. The engine management system must be designed to run on E85 for any more than a gal or two of E85 to work. E85 has up to 40% less energy per gallon than gasoline. A normal nonE85 engine would run 40% lean on a full tank of E85. If it runs at all it will run poorly and could sustain damage if driven hard. The easy solution is to stick with regular gasoline.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:26 PM

I had a 2013 Dodge Avenger V6 that would run any blend of E85 and gasoline in the tank. The computer did the rest. It always ran good.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think E85 means "up to" 85% ethanol. Just like normal ethanol gasoline if it's E10, or E15 means it can have "up to" that percentage, not necessarily exactly that percentage.

Quick call to a Jag dealer would answer the question about fuel, but yeah, should say somewhere, maybe even on the gas cap.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:41 PM
Senior Chief

GM vehicles typically had yellow gas caps but I don't know about the foreign manufacturers. I believe E 85 has around 105 octane. That is why people who run a lot of boost like it. It does have less energy per gallon making it less efficient than gasoline. Friends of mine who use it either run a lot of boost or run a lot of compression.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My E85 Flex fuel GM truck has a yellow gas cap.