The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-27-2018, 08:16 PM

Default Endura bumper repair, yet another

So it's 2018 and I've tried to archive the results. I am looking to see who has tried fixing cracks and doing mayor repairs on missing rubber. What product worked best and part number if you have them. Also are they they still standing after a year or so. If any one has a link would be greatly appreciated looking for paint info as well please thanks u

Old 09-28-2018, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.amazon.com/Bondo-806-Fin...7T1MFCR077YJV5

Old 09-28-2018, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a flexible body putty (I will dig it out and post the name) to add filler to the top of my bumper where it had shrunk. The top of the front was dipped lower about a 1/4" where it met the top of the fender. Product was a bit soupy to work with and I had to build it up with a couple of layers. 4+ years later its holding up fine, you would never know it is there.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is what I have used.. it's a 2 part mix.. comes with the mixing straws also...works great for me and is very flexible after drying..easy to sand/form.. but a little pricey..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1855.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	494159  

Old 10-02-2018, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used this stuff, It's probably similar to the product Forrest posted. Still holding up fine 6 years later.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-05895-Flex.../dp/B000PELVT0

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 10-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2018-10-11_10-05-52 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
Sorry for the long delay, This is the product I used to make repairs to my endura. Like I said before, on one side the front end piece had a significant dip due to shrinkage where it met the fender. I built the area up using this stuff and several years later it still looks as good as when I put it on. This stuff is extremely runny and I let it set for a few seconds before I applied it, also used several light coats to build it up.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You must be very lucky as most people that use anything other than 2 part flex epoxy repair material have problems at some point. All the Pontiac restoration guys here recommend flex epoxy (not urethane, not polyester) as epoxy seems to work best and act the closest to the original material. Note that I am not criticizing, anyone who does their own work and is happy gets my respect, but just passing along what I have learned.

Regarding flex epoxy, I've tried 3M 05895 (two medium sized tubes), 05896 (two large tubes), 05887 (200mL twin cartridge, needs a special gun), Bondo 806C (two small tubes), and Dominion SureSeal XPST Flexible Epoxy filler (two large tubes, this is a Canadian product).

All the 3M products are similar, adhere and sand very well, cure in 12-20 minutes, and are a gray colour.

The Bondo product is made by 3M, and adheres very well and has similar flex qualities as the 3M products but I found the sanding qualities to suck compared to the 3M stuff. It cures to a very dark, almost black colour. I found it gummed up sandpaper no matter how long it cured. If you never tried the 3M stuff you probably would not think it is that bad. One advantage to the Bondo stuff is that it is very easy to find at almost any auto parts store and comes in smaller tubes, while the 3M stuff is $$$ and not always stocked.

The Dominion Sure Seal is a light blue colour, adheres well and sands very well, seems a bit softer once cured compared to the 3M stuff. It's a lot cheaper than the 3M products for the quantity you get. I liked it better than the Bondo stuff I tried due to ease of sanding.

3M is not the the cheapest by far but seems like the gold standard for performance. Norton and others also make flex epoxy kits but I have no experience with them.

1970 Oshawa built 1 option Judge. 24 year restoration/upgrade project finally finished!

1979 Trans Am - low-buck drag car project for when I retire

Last edited by mrennie; 10-11-2018 at 08:48 PM.