THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Is it just me,or is this common?

Just wanted to get an opinion or two here. I’m looking at relocating to the other side of my state. Kind of a “semi retirement “. I need to work still, but taking a lower paying job and downsizing as 5 of the 7 kids are now out on their own.
Anyway, I put some applications in in the area I’m looking to move to,and got a few job offers. One of the companies that is in the running wants to hire me as a machinist, and start me out running a hone machine. OK, I call them back yesterday and tell them I might be interested. I ask the guy who interviewed me if I can set up a time to have him give me a tour of the shop before I make a decision. He says “We don’t do that “. I was stumped. I said he didn’t have to show me around all the buildings, just the one I’ll be working in, and I’d like to see the set up of the place. “No”. I ended up just telling him I’d get back to him, but I really meant “see ya”!
My wife thinks I am just over reacting. I say no way. I like to see where I’ll be working, is the place a dump, are 1/2 the lights burned out, etc.
Just figured I’d get some input from you guys. I’ve never heard of a company that won’t show you around before they hire you, unless they have something to hide!

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your wife is right. Just take the job.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:52 AM

I agree with you, show me where I will be working.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Old 07-24-2018, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What type of machine shop is it? About 15 years ago, I was working for a contract design engineering company. I designed a military application product, for a customer company , and the company wanted me to accompany their engineer and project manager to see the first parts coming off the tool. When I got there, the supplier wouldn't let me in because I didn't have the security clearance their company required. It wasn't as simple as signing a non-disclosure, they wanted a full background check, so I couldn't get in. We ended up driving back to the company's office and assembling the first ones there, even though the assembly would be built at the supplier.

So if the company is doing any work that requires a security clearance, they won't let you in unless you have gone through the process to get clearance. They may not be willing to go through that cost and effort unless you have accepted the job. Did they ask you any questions that might be pertinent to obtaining security clearance?

Mike

Old 07-24-2018, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

over reacting.

who says ya have to stay there..give it 30 days and if it isnt right..start looking again..you are a better candidate as a potential employee if you are working..thats for sure..

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Last edited by marxjunk; 07-24-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree that seems suspect.

Does the property look derelict from the outside(?) - which might warrant your concerns?

EDIT: I'd suggest that in your case, you might want to drive there (to see the property and to) see what sort of a commute/traffic you may have to contend with.
I feel as though many people these days put the paycheck above all else - when in fact sometimes factors like the commute, and the work environment (eg: derelict building) should really be large factors in the decision.
I have a longer commute by distance than many people I know, but my commute by time, is less than man of them...
If the drive in is too long/stressful, then you have to fight to find decent parking, that will probably wear thin on you... I know it would wear on me.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 07-24-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:50 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram4king View Post
Your wife is right. Just take the job.
Wrong. I've been shown around and walked around numerous machine shops as a customer. I'd for DAMN sure expect to be shown around by a prospective boss if I was being offered a job. There's no logical reason whatsoever why someone wouldn't show you around, and every reason in the world why you would. That kind of BS "take it or leave it" attitude from the boss shows exactly what kind of person you're going to be working for, and I would walk immediately. Lots of jobs out there, the economy is absolutely booming.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:04 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
What type of machine shop is it? About 15 years ago, I was working for a contract design engineering company. I designed a military application product, for a customer company , and the company wanted me to accompany their engineer and project manager to see the first parts coming off the tool. When I got there, the supplier wouldn't let me in because I didn't have the security clearance their company required. It wasn't as simple as signing a non-disclosure, they wanted a full background check, so I couldn't get in. We ended up driving back to the company's office and assembling the first ones there, even though the assembly would be built at the supplier.

So if the company is doing any work that requires a security clearance, they won't let you in unless you have gone through the process to get clearance. They may not be willing to go through that cost and effort unless you have accepted the job. Did they ask you any questions that might be pertinent to obtaining security clearance?

Mike
I doubt this is a common situation, but even in the event that it is the case here, it would take all of a sentence or two to explain it to the prospective employee. But to simply play the arrogant take it or leave it game sure wouldn't fly with me. All it would do is show just what kind of attitude the boss has, and there's just too many other jobs and choices out there to have to put up with that right from the start before you're even hired.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree it's pretty unlikely that security clearance is theproblem. I've been in hundreds of plastic molders and sheet metal fabricator shops over the years, and I've only encountered one like this. It had a guard at the gate, and security wouldn't even let the car through the gate with me in it. If my name had been Ahmed, I would probably have been shot on sight. Still, I thought I'd toss that possibility out. The high security fabricator I was turned away from was in a small town in rural VA.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did a ton of interviewing and hiring of maintenance personnel for 30yrs or so, I always made a point of giving potential hires a tour of our plant. I wanted to make sure they knew what they were bargaining for before going further. Had a few bail over the years because they didn't like what they saw, but that was one of the reasons for the tour.

68 GTO
Old 07-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Senior Chief

No way would my company give a tour or even care lol !

Old 07-24-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsize455 View Post
Wrong. I've been shown around and walked around numerous machine shops as a customer. I'd for DAMN sure expect to be shown around by a prospective boss if I was being offered a job. There's no logical reason whatsoever why someone wouldn't show you around, and every reason in the world why you would. That kind of BS "take it or leave it" attitude from the boss shows exactly what kind of person you're going to be working for, and I would walk immediately. Lots of jobs out there, the economy is absolutely booming.
I agree with FS, every place I have worked at has given me a tour so I knew what I was getting into. You need to interview your prospective employer just as thorough as they do you. You need to know as much as you can to make a decision to work there or not. Of course they will exaggerate a little to make their place more desireable. When you walk through the rest of the facility, look at other employee facial expressions, that will give you some insight on how it is to work there. He is already giving you an attitude and you don't even work there. At this point in your life you don't need an attitude at work every day.

Good luck on the job search!

Old 07-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well maybe I’m a little over cautious because I’m leaving a job that I’ve been at for 32 years. But refusing a tour took me by surprise. I doubt if it’s a security issue, and if it was, they could have just said that.
As far as putting $$ first- I’m doing the exact opposite. I’m moving from this congested part of the state that is just Chicago North IMO. I’m leaving a good paying job that I’ve been at for over 3 decades to live in a town of 600, where there are more deer on the roads then cars. My kids can also go to public schools there, as the ones here are the absolute worst.
I know I’ll be taking a big pay cut wherever I work, but I have NO debt, so I can afford it.
I called my number 2 job pick this AM and am doing the drug test and physical next week. I just figured the machinist job would have been interesting as compared to the more factory type job that it looks like I’ll be taking

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If they're this schitty over a pre employment look around, imagine how they'd be, if you needed some supplies, or tooling, etc. Pass.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back 25 years plus, we had up to 15 or so people working for us so there was always a couple annually who moved on. Not highly skilled jobs mostly.

I ALWAYS gave any prospective new employee a walk around, mostly just so I could gauge the level of interest of the person. If they asked intelligent questions, that was a big plus. On the other hand, if their greater interest was in what time do we knock off (finish work) or anything along those lines, then I was immediately suspect of their potential enthusiasm.

It always worked for me.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As several others have said and/or implied, if they treat you like this before you're hired, what will it be like if you worked there? They them to pound sand.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Uhuh. I asked to see the labs. They looked at each other and said "ah we cant show you around". I took the jib, but no viable labs. Just carpeting.

Stuck in Powrrpoint....Nuthin getting done.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think many times when Hiring , Owners get defensive if they feel like your interviewing them. Even more so if you question there facility. Probably better to take a job and prove yourself then walk if your not happy. Just my thought, I think its a bit Common.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can always quit if job site environment is bad or wrong. If unemployed, you will be better job material if employed over not, as that is reality, right or wrong. Take it, depending how bad you need employed and locale situation. Is it wrong to not be respectful and show areas? Sure. They have the right and power, so it is what it is.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:00 AM
Suspended

You guys are missing the whole point of the exercise, which is to take a lower paying, local job so as to lower his stress levels and simplify his life. That's not going to happen when working for an obvious dickhead.

Again, the economy is absolutely booming, there's more jobs out there than there are people to fill them, and he's even made it clear that he has other options. Absolutely no reason to take a clearly bad option.