Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-19-2018, 06:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Gibbs Carb Defender - StaBil 360

My local BP station used to sell 93 octane ethanol free gas. Just today while filling up my daily driver, I noticed a brand new big sticker over the 93 octane premium stating that it ‘may contain up to 10% ethanol.’ I used to always fill the TA up at BP because it was the only game in town for high octane - no ethanol.

So - what exactly do products like Joe Gibbs Carb Defender and Sta-Bil 360 actually do? Is it better to run the 93 octane ethanol blend with a bottle of this stuff, or run a lower octane non-ethanol gas possibly with an octane booster? As I understand it, non ethanol gas will become increasingly more and more difficult to find.

Both my Ponchos have Holley HP carbs which are new enough that I ‘believe’ they are assembled with nitrile o-rings and diaphragms so I think rubber deterioration should not be a problem. I also had the soft lines from the tank to the carb replaced with alcohol / ethanol safe fuel line.

Just wondering if I can begrudgingly stick with BP’s 93 octane premium and dump a bottle of Gibbs Carb Defender in every tank.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is no reason to be too concerned about 10% ethanol. That Gibbs "Carb Defender" at $10.00 a bottle to treat a tank of gas is pretty steep. Sta-bil for storage maybe (I prefer Seafoam).

When available, I do run pure gas, but in this area it's often hard to find or can be stupid expensive ($.70 - $1,00 per gallon more than E10 premium).

I've been driving my GTO for 24 years and probably 80% of all the fuel has been E10.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:29 PM
Performance Pontiac Author

Here is a good list of stations that sell pure gas in all states:

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TN

Jim Hand

Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hand View Post
Here is a good list of stations that sell pure gas in all states:

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TN

Jim Hand