The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default DIY Red Lines

Being frustrated with the limited tire size selection, and price, of real red lines, I read an article online (Mike Noun) about how to make your own Red Line Tires.........so, I decided to give it a try.

I started with a set of 225 60 R 15 BFGTA's (Black walls out) , 2 rolls of colored electrical tape - 3/4 " wide (yellow and red), a roll of 3/8 wide white masking tape, and a rattle can of Dupli-Color Red Vinyl and Fabric Paint.

There is a rubber 'rib' that goes around the tire about 1/2 inch off the bead, this rib is where I placed the yellow electrical tape. This is crucial to get this right, as the 2 other tapes lines are based on this one.

Then, with the 3/8 tape, I placed it down against the edge of the yellow masking tape.

Then, I applied the red electrical tape and placed in down against the outside edge of the white making tape.

I then removed the white making tape, leaving me a 3/8 wide circle.

Before masking the rest of the wheel and tire, and used the heat from a hair dryer to secure the masking tape to the tire. The flexible electrical tape conforms and sticks very well on the rubber.

After 7 - 10 light coats of Dupli-Color Vinyl Red Paint, I carefully removed the mask, and pulled the electrical tape off the tires, I pulled away from the freshly painted strip to ensure a crisp paint line.

The tires have not been out of the garage yet, so I cannot tell you about the durability, but the paint seems to have adhered well, and I am pleased with the results. .............and the price..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red line 30.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	480297   Click image for larger version

Name:	red line 33.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	480298   Click image for larger version

Name:	red line 36.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	480299   Click image for larger version

Name:	red line 11.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	480300   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 complete.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	480301  

Old 04-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You did a good job. I was thinking about doing this myself a while back and ran across these folks.... Cost is around $175 for four tires.. https://www.tirestickers.com/shop/vi...ed-line-walls/

Old 04-09-2018, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw those guys, but was concerned that the sticker would no adhere very well, specifically on some of the lettering that is covered up.

There are also some Youtube videos of guys with a special painting tool (Bueler wheel?) that applies the paint to a tire that is slowly rotating.

I had 1 blemish when removing the tape, (see pic) from the 4 tires, and I just added some tape to the edge, and fixed it with a small paint brush.

All in all, I am pleased, as I just could not justify doubling the price of the tire for a red stripe. (must be my Scottish blood)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	red line 13.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	480303  

Old 04-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember when Mike Noun first did his fake redlines! I thought it was awesome then, and still do.

I was about to do the same thing to my old '67 Firebird back in '05, then the divorce started and I sold the car...

Great job Tempest! Glad to know people are still gaining inspiration from stuff done so long ago.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust
Old 04-09-2018, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Please update us on how durable it is. I have thought of this and wondered about how it would hold up to tire cleaners and so forth. I wondered the same thing about the stick ons.
I just bought a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paws and they have an absolutely perfectly smooth , unobstructed space for either one right inboard of the graphics.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tiger paw.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	480313  

Old 04-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very interested in this. I've never played with the rubber on a tire, but have wondered if the rubber can be shaved if any raised lettering is in the way. Also wondered if the area of the red line can be shaved down/ grooved.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes the lettering can be shaved. That is how Diamondback makes their redlines. I just bought a set, and they shave all of the lettering off of the black wall side of the BFG radial TA's. The white letters are in the inside, and coated with black something to hide them.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, those tires seem to have a nice smooth area to add a stripe, be sure to clean well, I used a red scuff pad. You will need to find a reference for making a perfect circle. (BTW, I love the color of your car, and those Torq Thrusts looks great, I always thought you had dog dish on that car???)

Mitch, to shave the tire in a perfect circle would be very difficult, I think you would be better off to find a tire that has minimal letters where you want to put the stripe.

Cardo, could you post a close up of the red line with the shaved groove., I would like to see what they did.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice job Tempest. How long did it take to tape them up and what prep did you do to get the tape to stick on the rubber so well?

Last edited by ponchjoe; 04-10-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Joe, the tires were new, so I cleaned them with some Comet/Ajax (powdered soap used for sinks and toilets) and then a red scuff pad. The electrical tape sticks remarkably well, and the heat from the hair dryer was able to almost melt the tape over the few areas that has some lettering.

The first tape line, the inside one, takes the most time because you have to follow a black rib on BFG's. (see arrow in attached pic) Once that one is down, following the edge really doesn't take that long. I would not suggest using black electrical tape for this, as there is no contrast between the tape and the black rubber. It may have taken,........20 - 30 mins per tire???

I applied many (7-10) coats of the paint, over a 3 day period, as I am hoping the many light coats will last.

If you have an old tire, give it a try, the cost is minimal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	paint.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	480392   Click image for larger version

Name:	red line 10.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	480396  

Old 04-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Greg, those tires seem to have a nice smooth area to add a stripe, be sure to clean well, I used a red scuff pad. You will need to find a reference for making a perfect circle. (BTW, I love the color of your car, and those Torq Thrusts looks great, I always thought you had dog dish on that car???).
I actually put off putting anything on those tires while I mulled over adding the red line. That's why the tire looks kind of chalky in that pic. Eventually cleaned them and added some satin shine. Now I wonder if I'd be able to clean them thoroughly enough.
I did have dog dishes on it but wanted a different look. Noticed in another thread you made a wheel change also didn't you? Thanks for the compliment.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, i'll get one posted. I know that the surface is smooth afterwards and the stripe is raised.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I found this picture of my set from my old car. These are the Diamondbacks also. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...3&d=1182300008

Old 05-14-2018, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Guys,

Bad News, the paint did not stick. I guess the flexing of the rubber was too much.

Just thought I would post this to save someone the time the effort.

Back to blackwalls
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rally 1 with Blackwall.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	482939  

Old 05-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for following up. Paint sticking to rubber, especially under those conditions is a tall order.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
Nice job Tempest. How long did it take to tape them up and what prep did you do to get the tape to stick on the rubber so well?
I used brake clean first, then just clear HOT water. The red lines lasted for the rest of the tire life. I also used red vinyl paint.
Dave

Old 06-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Guys,

I think I have solved my Paint adhesion problem.

I found this website, inflatableboatparts.com, and purchased their red touch up paint for Inflatable Rubber boats. $11.95/bottle + shipping (4 oz)

http://shop.inflatableboatparts.com/...red-white.html

I masked the tires again, with the electrical tape, just as I did before, applied the paint with the brush that is attached to the lid of the paint, 2 coats ....and it has been 1 month, and about 30 miles with no signs of peeling. It is actually very difficult to remove with your thumb nail.

I will keep you posted if the paint starts to peel, but it is sticking very well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tire Paint  (Inflatable Boat).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	485216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Lines with Inflatable Boat Paint.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	485217  

Last edited by Tempest; 06-11-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any updates?

I’m ready to buy some tires and noticed Solar tires in my size. I only looked because my son has the same tires and they have a natural band that would be perfect for a red line.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am sorry to report that the 'Inflatable rubber boat paint' has started to crack and the tires need a recoat. (after a couple hundred miles)

looks like if we want Redlines, we need to pay 2 times the price.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Or one of these...https://www.tirestickers.com/redline-tire-kits/
http://www.tredwear.com/
This is the result posted by user 'J.C.you' from this board.. He used the product from the second link. I think I'm going to go this way at some point.