Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-06-2018, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64
Default 65 WS

Finally getting around to try and get this motor together. I ordered a reman crankshaft kit listed for 65 tri power as it was listed. Crankshaft came cut .030 was supposed to be. 020 but also casting number is for a 68 350 nodular steel crankshaft cast date April 68. The 65 of course has the armor steel crankshaft. Is there a concern using the nodular vs armor and is the .030 cut too much and getting too deep into the case hardening ? Thought, concerns recommendations appreciated .
Don

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but
they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
which would include their own government." — George Washington

Old 03-06-2018, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cast crankshafts are not hardened. Should have gotten your arma steel cast crankshaft re ground by a quality grinder. I have a 62 arma steel crank core if interested.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 68 350 crank will work. Just make sure you get the rotating assembly balanced. .030 is not a problem BTW.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

Dragncar, thanks for the offer I actually have several armor crankshafts on the shelf but there is no one in the area that I know of that can grind them.
Bruce, I have the same. problem with getting the rotating assembly balanced.
The guys I knew either got flooded out, retired or died.
I've got a couple complete original 389s and 326s from what I've seen the 326 crankshaft will work as well all the cranks I have are stock grind except the one in the 65 that was cut .010 / .010 already. I accidentally bumped two rod surfaces with the rod bolts I had rubber tubing over the bolts not sure how it happened. I did polish them, couple friends said looked fine go with it. I probably should have listened to them but I just felt nervous about it. At this point I may just go for it and and take this as another expensive learning experience. I just want to get this car back together at this point.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but
they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
which would include their own government." — George Washington