Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 02-18-2018, 04:47 PM

Default '64 Lemans, Bilstein Shocks, same as Chevelle?

There is a good price for a set of Bilstein Shocks on Ebay. They are listing them as Chevrolet only and saying not fitting for '64 Pontiac. Is this correct? I thought they were all the same. Thanks for any insight.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not sure.The guy at napa who dug my shocks out of the store said they were for a chevy and that they would fit.

The crossbone on the bottom for the 2 bolts in the lower control arm were closed ended and had to be sawed off to create an open end for the bolts to line up.Not the most Ideal thing. It does work fine, I have had no trouble with it.

I would ask the seller the bolt hole center to center on the crossbone. Check the style of crossbone,open end or closed end. Also ask him to measure the overall extended length.Then check them against what you have .

Old 02-18-2018, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Front & rear fit 64-67 Buick, Chevy & Olds A body. Wagons likely use different rears.
Source: 1970 Monroe catalog.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 02-18-2018, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i have a nice used set of KYB if your interested CHEAP

Old 02-19-2018, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the offer, but I currently have the same.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:41 PM

Ebay seller has not responded to question about fit. I have been spending too much time looking into this. The shock number for the rear Bilsteins listed show for '68 and later for Pontiac, yet '64 and later for Chevelle. Summit, Jegs, etc. shows no listings for Bilsteins for the rear on a '64 Lemans, in fact, cannot find any listings anywhere. Anyone have a part number?

Old 02-20-2018, 06:12 PM

I have Bilstein shocks on my 64 Lemans.

#24-029728 for the fronts. The mounts are closed loop on the bottom and stud mount on top.

#AK2080 for the rear

Old 02-20-2018, 08:11 PM

Thank you for the part number. Those rears look to be a tad elusive. Summit, Jegs, Rockauto, Shock Warehouse do not have that rear shock number. I can only find a couple of Amazon sellers that claim they have them. One of them notes it is a discontinued model and only has one shock in stock. The other is a set of front and rear for $420.00. They of course say that these fit all '64 to' 67 A bodies, including Chevelle. The Ebay seller is selling a set of 4 for the '64 to '67 Chevelle (for $350) and has the rears listed as Bilstein 24-009294. The seller did answer my question by saying, "According to my system these are incorrect for the application you are looking for and it does not appear we currently carry any that fit that vehicle." The Bilstein 24-009294 comes up as fitting '68 and up Pontiac but says they are correct for '64 Chevelle. This is just plain weird.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a set of lightly used bilsteins I just pulled off my car. I’d sell the for 25 and the ride. They are rear ones in good shape

Old 02-20-2018, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the offer, but I pulled the trigger on the more expensive option. Like so many things in our hobby, if you figure my time, I probably spent more looking for a bargain than it was worth. But on the flip side, I did score a nice set of grilles, a good hood and good driver's door for $65.00 total today. Yea.