Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-07-2017, 03:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Parts sitting for years

I used to have a thing for 58 chevrolets. Still do but I don’t have one right now. Anyway I used to do a lot of business with auto city classic and Summit and the like. Sometimes parts would sit for a very long time before being installed and 99 percent of the time if I had a problem despite the time lapse these companies would make it right. I have dealt with ames for years and have bought stuff for this Tempest that I was using for a very short time till it blew up like the dash tach etc. it’s gonna take me about two years to get the car back on the road and in the meantime my garage is full of boxed up and labeled parts that will be going back on the car some used and some new like the cold case radiator I bought cause it was on sale (not a second) and the Summit brand mini starter that I had Summit bucks for that were gone expire. I have the complete UMI suspension in the boxes that my wife bought me when the car was on the road that I planned to install before the engine blew. I guess what I’m asking is has anyone ever had to sit on parts for a while and then when it came time to use them they were wrong or defective and were you able to get it made right? I have faith in Ames and Summit just because of the shear volume of money I have spent with them. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with other companies

Old 10-07-2017, 01:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've been down this road. Not so much anymore because I mainly stash NOS or hard to find stuff, but even up until recently I had to make the decision with some Summit parts I bought. I bought the wrong size brake booster kit for my car. I knew I was moving out of state and the car will sit until I get a place for it so I figured it out and returned it before I moved.

I can understand the timelines with restorations. However, I used to work at a classic parts store and our policy was after a year from date of purchase we could not return the parts. It made a few customers mad because they would complete a 2, 3, 5 year or more restoration and would have parts left over and couldn't return them. We used to be more relaxed with that policy but it got bad with people getting mad that they couldn't return parts from years before. I know the parts are NIB but still.

The only thing I can consider is either compare your parts to your originals as soon as you get them (or maybe pictures and directions if using aftermarket stuff) or return it if you know you won't be working on that area of the car for a very long time. Otherwise, prepare for a swap meet if you have a ton of old stuff. You can try to explain the situation with the companies provided you have a decent attitude and the original receipt, they probably get lots of calls like this too.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ideally, you don't want to buy anything until you are ready to install and can verify that it works/fits. On some hard to find items and super deals/clearance items, you have to roll the dice and buy when you see it (like those OBX headers). There will always be some heartbreak on purchases made, but it's unavoidable. In the case of your project, I'd pace myself being selective about anything I don't need right now.