Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-01-2017, 02:30 PM

Default Cant stop hot start issues

No matter what i do i cant fix my hot start problems. I have a mild 400 with Eheads and 2802 cam. Dougs ceramic headers that i have wraped with exhaust wrap were the starter is and just wraped the starter with DEI starter wrap sheild. Ignition is msd and initial is set at 12-14 i cant remenber exactly with yhe 18 degree bushing. I even have an ignition switch to help with starting. When cold it starts fine but after driving for a bit when I shut it off and try to restart it, it cranks like the battery is going dead. Have to let it sit for 20 minutes or so then it will start up. Starter is a jegs mini starter . I am all out of ideas. Anybody has has any advice or tips please let me know.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you saying with ignition off or disabled the engine still turns over slow?

Clay

Old 10-01-2017, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it physically hot? Could be something other than starter, possibly timing issue/choke exacerbated by the temp. And if it has been running, and you shut it off, and then immediately try to restart, does it start easily?

Old 10-01-2017, 03:35 PM

With the ignition switch on or off it cranks the same. Carb settings serm to be fine. What if i disl back my initial timing back a few degrees. Whould that help at all

Old 10-01-2017, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Putting your initial timing back could help. Does it restart easy if you try after just a few seconds when you shut it down? And what temp does it normally run at?

Old 10-01-2017, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would look at the battery.I had the same issue a couple years ago.Start cold fine,when hot not so good.Put a new one in and no issue .Tom

Old 10-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What size battery cables?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 10-01-2017, 04:19 PM

Engine runns a little hot. 200 degrees. If i try and start it as soon as i shut off same thing. Batt should be good. Maybe two years old. Ill put a charger on it overnight to get it to pull power

Old 10-01-2017, 04:33 PM

Battery is in truck with selonoid with 0 gauge wire to starter.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:34 PM

Also have 105 amp alternator with 4 gauge wire back to battery

Old 10-01-2017, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby326 View Post
Battery is in truck with selonoid with 0 gauge wire to starter.
Quote:
Also have 105 amp alternator with 4 gauge wire back to battery
Battery-in-the-trunk, starter-won't-crank problems are almost always due to using a sh!tty steel ground circuit instead of copper. Steel is a crappy conductor compared to copper. Uni-bodies are the worst, where the ground circuit involves current flow through spot-welds, some of which are probably broken from body flex.

WHAT CAR IS THIS? Describe your ground circuit from starter to battery - post.

I have seen starters that don't crank properly when hot. The windings are faulty, and maybe the brushes and bushings are worn-out. MOSTLY, this has been with OEM starters, not mini-starters. I think this is because there's a lot more OEM starters than mini-starters.

As said, a faulty battery can cause hard-cranking problems; although this isn't really related to engine temperature.

An engine with too-little piston-to-wall clearance can be hard-cranking when hot--the hot pistons don't want to move in the cylinders.

My guess is "negative circuit" based on the number of people complaining about cranking problems when they put the battery at the wrong end of the vehicle, and then don't use a copper ground cable. A voltage-drop test would prove the matter one way or the other.

Last edited by Schurkey; 10-01-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Engine runns a little hot. 200 degrees.
Not hot enough to cause engine damage, but why is that hot? 192 thermostat? Temp gauge not accurate?

Quote:
Ill put a charger on it overnight to get it to pull power
A fully-charged battery should read 12.6--12.7 volts once the surface charge has dissipated. Fresh off the charger, they might be over 13 volts, but that surface charge is misleading. It should settle down to 12.6--12.7 after an hour or two; or after a small load has been put on it.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:21 PM

Believe i have a 185 thermostat in it. Have grounds all over car. 67 lemans. Batt ground to rear frame. Starter grounded (0 gauge) to frsme. Block grounded to frame. Alternator is grounded to block. Inner fenders and core support grounded to frame. Ill see if i can check voltage at starter when cranking tomorrow. Thank you for replies

Old 10-02-2017, 06:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the test out in post 11 checks good and you still have a factory starter put that in , drive the car for ten minutes then shut it off and then immediately restart it , if that works then you have a bad new starter.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 10-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to ask if this is a street car why is the battery in the trunk?Tom

Old 10-02-2017, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
With the ignition switch on or off it cranks the same. Carb settings serm to be fine. What if i disl back my initial timing back a few degrees. Whould that help at all
Changing timing won't help if it still turns over slow with ignition disabled.

Where bouts you located? I've got good test equipment for trouble shooting problems like this. Battery tester that shows volts and amps, inductive pickup amp meter....you can follow amp flow from start to finish and see where it's dropping its cookies.

Clay

Old 10-02-2017, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Battery-in-the-trunk, starter-won't-crank problems are almost always due to using a sh!tty steel ground circuit instead of copper. Steel is a crappy conductor compared to copper. Uni-bodies are the worst, where the ground circuit involves current flow through spot-welds, some of which are probably broken from body flex.

WHAT CAR IS THIS? Describe your ground circuit from starter to battery - post.

I have seen starters that don't crank properly when hot. The windings are faulty, and maybe the brushes and bushings are worn-out. MOSTLY, this has been with OEM starters, not mini-starters. I think this is because there's a lot more OEM starters than mini-starters.

As said, a faulty battery can cause hard-cranking problems; although this isn't really related to engine temperature.

An engine with too-little piston-to-wall clearance can be hard-cranking when hot--the hot pistons don't want to move in the cylinders.

My guess is "negative circuit" based on the number of people complaining about cranking problems when they put the battery at the wrong end of the vehicle, and then don't use a copper ground cable. A voltage-drop test would prove the matter one way or the other.
im sure you know more than i but how dose this apply to temp of motor ?

Old 10-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I'll try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal101 View Post
im sure you know more than i but how dose this apply to temp of motor ?
Ruling out engine getting tight when hot, ignition timing and you've got a known good starter and battery.
The hotter copper gets the more ressistance it has to amp flow. And it goes up alot more than you would think. So, wires, battery cables, windings in starter and solenoid...takes alot more amps to make them work when hot.
Think about cars with HEI ignition. Wires under the dash are 14 AWG while the wire under the hood is 12 AWG. Bigger wire to make up the difference from under hood temperatures.
Usually running a bigger wire from bulkhead connector to starter solenoid will cure hot no solenoid click problems without changing wire size under the dash.

That what you was asking about?
Clay

Old 10-02-2017, 03:38 PM

Battery in trunk just to make engine compartment neater. I have a detailed engine compartment. Smooth and paint firewall, oainted inner fenders and smooth and oainted cire support. I live on long island quicksilver. Thank you for your offer. My days off are Wednesday to Friday so ill see if i can get a buddy over to do some troubleshooting.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:40 PM

Battery in trunk just to make engine compartment neater. I have a detailed engine compartment. Smooth and paint firewall, painted inner fenders and smooth and painted core support. I live on long island quicksilver. Thank you for your offer. My days off are Wednesday to Friday so ill see if i can get a buddy over to do some troubleshooting.