Old 09-22-2017, 12:55 AM

Default phs on my 65 gto

Hi all, its been a long time since ive posted anything on here and I have been making slow but steady progress on my gto. I finally got my phs documents for it and thought id let you in on whats inside .it is a real gto [phew!]. and the other options highlighted are .
radio-manual, manual antenna
windshield washer, dual speed wipers
dual exhaust splitters
instrument panel pad
deluxe wheel discs
power steer
power brakes
custom sport steering wheel
soft ray windshield
power windows
console
ride and handling pack
safe t track
metallic brake linings
how does that stack up?
also I have the billing history card but that just looks like a lot of random dashes to me. is there any further info that can be squeezed out of the billing card?
cheers , Ian Page Newcastle Australia

Old 09-22-2017, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Power windows is one I don't see often.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:02 AM
Boost Engineer

Sweet, Sweet Vehicle Ian! Keep after it.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
also I have the billing history card but that just looks like a lot of random dashes to me. is there any further info that can be squeezed out of the billing card?
There is usually more info, just depends if it is info you are interested in.
Should have the dealer codes, engine number possibly, tranny number also, other info etc

Post a scan of it and it could be decoded probably.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-22-2017, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Weevil, sounds like you have a sweet ride. Very well optioned! I bet it has a little history, being from "down under" and all. How long have you owned it?

Old 09-22-2017, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could get the metallic brake linings with most any rear axle ratio available for a GTO but most times this option is associated with 3.90 rear axle ratio. But you didn't mention HD Radiator which was required with the 3.90 axle so I'm curious.

You didn't mention if it is Tripower or if it has a transmission option (auto trans, HD 3 spd, or 4 spd) and if 4 spd if it has the Code W Wide Ratio, Code 9 Wide Ratio (if 3.90) or Code 8 Close Ratio (required 3.90), see Box 77 on your BHC.

The BHC is an IBM Hollerith Card and I think what you are calling random dashes are actually punch outs (holes) that copy as black marks. Each punchout corresponds to data coded for the computer, the fields are identified along the lower edge of the card. Many of us have learned to decode these punchouts into the nos. they correspond to (not hard to do).

Not to burst any bubble but as an example of how Option descriptions can be misleading, your Ride & Handling Package option Sales Code 621 generally included a thicker front stabilizer bar, Heavy Duty Springs, and Heavy Duty Shocks.

However, every '65 GTO came standard with the thicker front stabilizer bar and also got the stiffest springs that PMD offered. So when this option was ordered for a '65 GTO the ONLY change was to substitute the stiffer shocks with the bigger pistons. And these hydraulic shocks typically didn't last long and cost just pennies more than the standard GTO shocks so not much to brag about.

The metallic linings were true sintered iron linings that Delco Moraine had been developing for many decades. They suffered from high pedal effort so the Power Brakes were recommended (but not required) for them. They were very fade resistant but unless you were road rallying or racing stock cars, most drivers had little need for them and a lot of people learned to hate them. They were short lived in history as disc brakes began to displace drum brakes. The sintered iron linings are not to be confused with modern semi-metallic linings. The drum finish used with the sintered iron was mirror smooth, hence your car got specific drums compared with standard brake cars based on the surface finish (same otherwise).

Does it really have the manual tune AM radio? In my experience most ordered the deluxe pushbutton AM radio, the less expensive manual tune radio option is kinda rare.

All '64/'65 GTOs are unique in some way but they are all cool.

Keep enjoying yours!

Old 09-22-2017, 05:51 PM

thanks for the imput guys , I will scan and send the billing history card and let you pick over it ,I ve owned the car since 1989 and wear and tear suggests that it was in this country long before I purchased it. im wondering if the billing history card will tell if it was exported straight from new build?. driveline is base 4 barrel ,automatic 3.23 gears .sadly radio is long gone ,possibly from day one over here as our radio broadcast spectrum differs from yours

Old 09-25-2017, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The BHCs are always interesting to see.

I've never seen one for an export build, but if it was originally retailed in the US, you will see the Dealer Zone and Dealer ID No. in the upper left of your card. This would be the dealer that originally purchased the car at wholesale from PMD. The next box would identify the Ship To dealer, usually blank as the vast majority were shipped to the same dealer that the car was invoiced to so the code was not repeated, the box just left blank.

For example, if it shows 07679, that would indicate the Pontiac, Michigan Zone (07), Royal Pontiac (679).

Many Pontiac dealer codes have been decoded, however there were hundreds of retail outlets in each of about 2 dozen separate zones, so many have yet to be decoded publicly. The U.S. Zones are all well known.

If yours has an usual Zone code, it may indicate it was originally shipped to a sales outlet overseas.

Post it up, we'll see what pops up that may be interesting to you.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Power windows in a '65 are very, very rare. In fact, in 40 years of climbing in and out of these cars, I've never seen an original PW '65. Keep after it. And don't glue velocity stacks to the hood like they did to that '59 Chevy 4 door sedan in Mad Max!!!

Old 10-01-2017, 08:43 AM

Neat car you have. My aunt ordered a 65 GTO new. It was red with white interior. 4 barrel,4 speed,power windows. She wanted A/C but her husband didn't want her to get it because..."something might go wrong with it" so she got power windows instead.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:45 AM

ok heres the billing card ,anybody shed some light on what any of this means?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ponty bill hist.pdf (260.9 KB, 114 views)

Old 10-03-2017, 07:11 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevilkenevil View Post
ok heres the billing card ,anybody shed some light on what any of this means?
Top Left upper corner 24 7
Wallace Info says the car was shipped to Zone 24 (Los Angeles area).
Not sure who was dealer #7 in that area.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dealer Zone - 24
Dealer Code - 197

Majestic Pontiac in Montebello CA

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-03-2017, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Has 3.23 rear gears with metallic brakes.
YS engine code with Automatic (GTO only)

Fremont build car

(edit)
It shows it has AM/FM with manual antenna

Fontaine Blue with black interior

Quick look at options.
Have to look for my 'decode' sheet

Last edited by johnta1; 10-03-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did the 65 have a speed alert ?

Old 10-03-2017, 12:11 PM
Senior Chief

there are a couple of vintage majestic license plate frames on ebay right now! I purchased one for my car years ago

Old 10-25-2017, 07:40 PM

Those Majestic Pontiac & Honda frames are from the early 80s till they closed couple of years after Los Angeles riots. I worked at Majestic Pontiac from 1979 till 1990.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John, I am seeing 398 not 395.

The Radio option would have been the Manual Tune AM Radio with the Manual Antenna.

That is how PHS decoded it also as noted in the initial post.

Ian, the 2 in Box 59 (hence code 592) indicates "Special Order Items". In '64, that often meant something very unusual, such as a special paint color or a special request order to substitute a Bench Seat in a Lemans which came standard with Bucket Seats.

In '65 however, it may have been used whenever an option from the separate "All Series Special Equipment Order" form was included in the Order.

In the case of your GTO, that would have been the Metallic Brake option that was not listed on the regular Tempest Order Form, you had to include the ASSE Order Form to get them.

The code 592 was apparently an "alert" that the order included this extra order form with one or more special equipment items.

In the past year I have learned more about the metallic brake option. They used sintered iron linings that Delco Moraine had been developing for many years. They were WAY different than the more modern semi-metallic linings that followed.

They required a different finish on the drums, highly polished, as compared to standard linings. Therefore, they carried a unique p/n although by all accounts, externally, they would look like regular drums.

I believe they might have also used different springs because of the high heat that they could generate.

They were virtually fade-free but they took a lot of pedal pressure when cold. Many disliked them for that reason, plus they could be noisy. PMD recommended adding Power Brakes to help with the high pedal effort needed, lucky for you your GTO included PB. Really, for regular driving, it seems they were not that great. Unless you were always driving in the mountains or thrashed your car unmercifully, most drivers rarely if ever experienced heat fade.

But they would be cool to have today. Chances are yours were replaced years ago but if you ever pull a drum, you might check to see if they are still in place.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My '65 has the metallic brake option and (as far as I know) still has the original friction material installed. Manual apply system.

I can attest that they are a little greasy feeling until you put some heat in them. After that they feel pretty much like a "normal" manual brake. I've never really been in a "fade" situation where I had to rely on them.

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO brake rear2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	466305   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO brake rear3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	466306   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO brake rear4.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	466307  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 10-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Boost Engineer

Got a Ticket, in Kalamazoo one time, Keith, when I forgot to warm up the Brakes (going to work very early in the morning) and blew a red light when the brakes did not stop the car in time. 5 degree weather and snow on the ground. So it is possible to have cold weather 'Fade'.

Tom V.