Old 08-29-2017, 08:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default 68 tilt column is full of slop

68 Bonneville with column shift and tilt wheel. The tilt has become very loose and a bit scary.

1. If I continue to let it go, do a risk a fiery death?

2. How do I fix it?

I have the factory manual, but it doesn't provide much specific instruction. I removed the wheel and managed to remove the turn signal switch without breaking it, but feel certain I am approaching this incorrectly. Also removed the second nut and upper bearing, but see no way to tighten things up coming from above.

Assuming I remove the column entirely, can I some how remove the slop, or is this a job for a pro? If a specialized job, who do you recommend?

Maybe faster and cheaper to find another column?

Old 08-29-2017, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Easy fix for those that know these columns, fix it in the car in minuets but you need to find the right guy.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 08-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Senior Chief

Thank you.

This is not as easy as just tightening three screws as shown in a few of the YouTube videos covering slightly newer columns. Obviously no column locking plate here, so that is not a concern.

Anybody else with further insight?

Old 08-30-2017, 10:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pretty common issue across the board with many GM brands. This video should help.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs4_p6xpLB4

I hope this helps.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:46 AM

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/...lumnwobble.htm

Old 08-30-2017, 02:05 PM
Senior Chief

I will take another look, but I don't think either of those videos covers the 68 full size column with the key in the dash with no column lock.

Anyone have first hand experience with correcting this problem in a 68 style column?

Old 08-30-2017, 02:56 PM

My bad,didnt realize that your ignition lock isnt in the column,I think that would actually be a lot easier to work on.Here's where i found a lot of information,maybe he has the papers written up on the 67-68 tilt columns already?
Fire off an email http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/

Old 08-30-2017, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those older tilt steering columns are a nice option on the car but to work on them those are very complicated. It's easy to screw one of those up if you don't know what you are doing.

There are some special tools that you will need in some cases to take one of those apart but would hold off driving the car until you get this fixed.

Last edited by Peter Serio; 08-30-2017 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling fix.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
There are some special tools that you will need in some cases to take one of those apart but would hold off driving the car until you get this fixed.
I agree. The service manual is pretty detailed on how to fix these columns ('67-68 only cars) but there are a lot of little pieces to keep track of and install correctly. They aren't like the newer Saginaw columns.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:53 PM
Senior Chief

I spent some more time the repair manual and in studying the exploded drawing of the tilt column, I still don't see what pieces could be tightened/replaced to firm things up.

Ok assuming I don't have the special tools and expertise to fix this, who does?

Approximate cost?

Or just swap it out for a non-tilt and avoid this in the future?