THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Charlotte, A Good Place to Live?

Thinking of moving to Charlotte, NC from South Florida.
Would like to hear from people who live there or who have lived there.
Good place to live?

Old 08-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Senior Chief

I live 40 miles below Charlotte in Sc. If you like a lot of traffic and congestion then that is your place. I am not condemming it. I just like the open country and low taxes. Befor I moved here I looked at a lot of places in NC. If I found what I liked I would have bought there. There are a lot of car clubs and shows up there.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My sister and her family lived in Matthews, which is a suburb of Charlotte, for many years. It was/is a nice community but like Gary said the traffic and congestion in and around Charlotte is pretty bad.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads, Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.68 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you accepted a job in the Charlotte area.

I grew up about 25 miles from Charlotte, then moved to a small town about 20 miles east of Charlotte after getting out of college. My family still lives in Monroe, which is east of Charlotte.

I would recommend moving to one of the smaller towns surrounding Charlotte, preferably just outside of Mecklenburg County. You might have a little more of a commute, but there is still a lot of open land within 10 - 15 miles of the city. Concord, Harrisburg, Matthews, and Mint Hill are all convenient to the East side of Monroe. Cornelius and Huntersville are on the north side, and both are very nice. Waxhaw and Weddington are to the east, and are all nice areas. It's been many years since I lived there, but I would avoid the west side of Charlotte. Traffic into the city can be heavy, so you want to figure out where you are going to work, then choose a location convenient to that side of town.

I'm not sure what the Mecklenburg County schools are like now, but I think the schools in the outlying communities are much better. If you have kids or are planning to have kids, make sure you go to a local school and check out the schools your kids would attend. When I moved to the Raleigh area in 1992, I fell in love with a house on a large lot with a nice size garage. It wasn't the best side of town, so I decided to check out the local schools. I also visited the school my kid would attend if I bought the house, as well as another school in a small town just outside of Raleigh (Apex). The difference was like night and day. I decided there was no way my kid was going to be going to the Raleigh city school.

UNCC is a good college, and it is located on the north-east side of Charlotte. I graduated their school of Engineering in 1982.

About another 10 miles from UNCC is what used to be Charlotte Motor Speedway. The Charlotte Autofair is held there twice a year, mid-April and mid-September. There is a very active GTOAA club in the Charlotte area.

At one time, I really wanted to move back to the Charlotte area. Had I gotten the opportunity, I would have probably looked for a property in the Mint Hill, Concord, or Harrisburg area. I think Charlotte is OK, but living in a surrounding county close to Charlotte would be a much better choice.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...charlotte nc probably better than raleigh durham nc.

Ashville probably better than charlotte

Old 08-17-2017, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Raleigh and Durham/Chapel Hill are totally opposites. I don't even drive through Durham if I avoid it.

I live in Apex. When going to Charlotte, I will drive west to Siler City and take 401 to Greensboro where I catch I-85 just so I can avoid driving through Durham.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been to just about all of the above mentioned cities, and my opinion is same as poncho-mike. I have been to Charlotte numerous times. Conditions can suck. Find a place outside of Charlotte to live. Charlotte has lots to offer, but I would never live there.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:56 PM
Senior Chief

I have lived in the area for the last 15 years. Came down from Chicago and we like it a lot - no going back to the snow at this point. I'm in one of the "bedroom" communities on the southeast side and work up near UNCC in the research park. As others have mentioned, traffic can be bad although nowhere near like Atlanta or the I40 corridor along RDU. CMS is still problematic from a public school perspective, although there are some great options if you can buy or rent close to those schools. Happy to answer specific questions you might have when your researching options.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Went to Auto Fair twice and stayed with a friend in Matthews, I could live there.

http://www.byjanmarie.com/firebird/69.html
69 Camaro 327 4sp. 4.10
http://www.byjanmarie.com/camaro/69camaro.html ( SOLD)
2002 Camaro LE/SLP-(sold)
1967 Nova SS-- 327, M20, 3.73, FRT Disc
Old 08-17-2017, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a house just outside of Franklin 5 years now. That's where I'm going. I love it there and its a great place to drive. No traffic long windy roads. Its about three hours from charlotte, so I Don't know if you have your heart set on Charlotte or your going to get a job there. But if your just looking for a place to go check out the Franklin area or even surrounding Asheville area. Charlotte is the race car capital of the world though.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-18-2017, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

71 T/A are you going to be working in the Charlotte area? If so, does a 2+ hour commute one way make sense? It's a 2+hr drive from the Charlotte area to Asheville. (a little over 130 miles). I've driven 321 in work traffic: it ISN'T fun. Should there be problems on the roads, a 2+ hr commute quickly turns into 3-4hrs. I have friends in the Charlotte area. Most of them live in SC (lower taxes and more affordable housing). If you have to be in NC, I would choose one of the bedroom communities outside Mecklenburg Co.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 08-18-2017, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I appreciate all the responses. My son is about to start college here in Florida. When he's done in like a few years, we're outta here. I've been in South Florida since 1972 and I'm sick of the high temps year round here as well as the hurricane warnings each June-Nov. I lived in Atlanta during college and liked the weather there so Western North Carolina should work. I don't like mountainous areas so Asheville is a no go.
They still have a 1/4 mile race track there in Charlotte?

Old 08-18-2017, 07:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary bennett View Post
I live 40 miles below Charlotte in Sc. If you like a lot of traffic and congestion then that is your place. I am not condemming it. I just like the open country and low taxes. Befor I moved here I looked at a lot of places in NC. If I found what I liked I would have bought there. There are a lot of car clubs and shows up there.
My buddy and his family just bought a house in South Carolina;they vacation there every year and finally found something to their liking.

They rave about the area,and how nice the people are.

When they move down full time,I`m gonna have them start looking at properties for me and the wife.

Anything has to be better than corrupt Konnecticut.

Ken French Built Chassis

Carlquist Competition Engines IA2 505
Competition CNC Ported Super Chiefs
CCE Ported Gustram
Twin Dominators from Shaker 455
963 HP

`09 Electra Glide Standard.

`03 F-350 7.3 6-speed 4x4 Crew Cab Dually.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
Concord actually. We attended the Carolina Nationals there last fall.

In the spring, they have the Four Wide Nationals - something my wife and I would like to attend.

We've been to Charlotte many times - we've been to two night races at CMS. We stayed just across the border in SC when we went to the race in Darlington. Also been to Martinsville and flew into Charlotte.

Then there is a pair of trips to Asheville - which is a beautiful area. I know on the east coast they call that area "mountainous" - but really they aren't anything more than big hills.

My wife and I are looking at TN or NC as possible retirement areas.

We really like MN, where we were born and raised, but a longer toy car driving season is a serious plus for this area. Neither one of us would consider FL - it's just too hot and humid most of the year.

I suggest using this site to compare possible locations for your relocation:

http://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/

Lots of good information.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I lived in Charlotte back in '94 to '99 before moving to Nashville. I worked in Mooresville and the commute was in the mid 20 minute range. I'm sure that is all very different now.

At the time, I recall the saying being, "It's a great place to live, but I sure wouldn't want to visit."

1970 Buick Skylark Custom convertible(driver) Fire Red
1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Royal Blue
Old 08-18-2017, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If there's one theme in most of these posts, it is that you want to live close to Charlotte, but preferably one county over.

Charlotte has a bus system. The surrounding towns do not, so you really have to own a car if you want to get around. That raises the bar a little, so you end up with a lot more low income people in Charlotte than surrounding counties. Charlotte has more gang issues and racial issues in the schools. Again, stay out of Mecklenburg County if possible.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:02 PM

Moved to Raleigh 17 years ago from upstate NY. Considered Charlotte, but to big city feel for me. Love it here, but as stated above, Raleigh and Durham are vastly different. Lots of jobs here and plenty to do. Hurricanes hockey and college sports, if you can find tix to those. Drive my T/A 12 months a year. Only a few days you can't.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULZGOLD View Post
Moved to Raleigh 17 years ago from upstate NY. Considered Charlotte, but to big city feel for me. Love it here, but as stated above, Raleigh and Durham are vastly different. Lots of jobs here and plenty to do. Hurricanes hockey and college sports, if you can find tix to those. Drive my T/A 12 months a year. Only a few days you can't.
It's so hot and rainy in the summer months in South Florida that I have little time to drive my old Pontiacs - and forget going to the race track.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Senior Chief

Originally from Michigan, moved south in '93, outgrew the winter sports, salt/rust, crappy roads and taxes.
Landed in the Charlotte area, but on the SC side. Taxes, both property and income are more favorable, in a lake community and 5 miles from NC state line. Fort Mill and Tega Cay are red hot areas right now, I'm in Lake Wylie, other side of the lake.
Any of the commutes to Charlotte are going to be miserable, worst right now I would think is having to travel from north of town down 77, and with the toll lane construction, it's no overnight fix.
Quite a few tracks within a couple hours, the mountains or beach are weekend friendly excursions.
As Mike has mentioned...stay out of Mecklenberg county if you decide on NC.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
I appreciate all the responses. My son is about to start college here in Florida. When he's done in like a few years, we're outta here. I've been in South Florida since 1972 and I'm sick of the high temps year round here as well as the hurricane warnings each June-Nov. I lived in Atlanta during college and liked the weather there so Western North Carolina should work. I don't like mountainous areas so Asheville is a no go.
We were sick of S.FL after 4 yrs. So glad to be back in the Midwest.

Dr. Thomas Sowell