Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 08-02-2017, 08:20 PM

Default 73 Formula Interior Questions

Hi folks,

I am deep into the restoration of my 73 Formula 455 car and in tearing into the interior I have found a few issues/questions that I need help with.

I bought a 73 Formula 350 car as a parts car, it has been hit bad in the rear, but interior and under hood is killer.

It is white with red interior and I am going to put the Red custom interior into my red 455 car as it originally had a custom interior. The only part that is too damaged to use is the backseat UPPER plastic molding on the passenger side. WHERE can I find one to replace it?

The second question is as to paint color for the inside of the back seat panel and body. My parts car is a grey/white speckled flat color. My 455 is black but clearly a respray and not good. Did the interior metal color vary depending on the car exterior color and if so what color would be correct for my red 455 car?

Any help would be wonderful.

I am moving pretty fast on this project so that I can get it into the paint shop this winter, but the parts car is so cherry that it is going very well, swapping all the inner front fenders and front core support this week, as well as the perfect AC to replace my beat up parts on my 455.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i think the part you need is called a sail panel. they make new ones available at all the parts places like AMES etc, or you can find a good used one on ebay or place a wanted ad here in the classified section.

as for the paint on the inside i think it depends on where the car was made, others will confirm that. the inside trunk area was usually a splatter paint but i dont think they carried that into the interior of the car. if its not visible i think you can just use a flat or satin black or anything you prefer to match the rest of the car.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:02 PM

Thats what I thought, I think I will just primer it black and be done with it. It will be covered with insulation anyway, so I see little downside to black!

Old 08-03-2017, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i suggest an actual paint... primer absorbs moisture unless you use a true epoxy primer.